View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyzeverywhere View Post
Trying to familiarize myself with the world of Magic, especially the really old stuff. Been watching youtube videos of people opening alpha/beta decks and packs. So apparently, there are people opening up starter decks or booster packs worth thousands of dollars in the hopes of pulling one of those rare power nine cards? What are the real odds of doing something like that though? In a starter deck you only get two rares I think...and in a booster pack, one rare? Just wondering how often unopened material trade hands and the stuff remain unopened...
There are (I think) 120 rares in alpha. All have the same print run. So if you feel like doing the math, go for it.

The other thing driving people to do this, graded vintage magic can be big money. Even a common like lightning bolt will get you a nice bit of money. Unlike a lot of products if the deck has been stored properly a large amount of the cards you pull will gem. So basically open carefully, grade everything, sell to set builders.