View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
jdandns

Just read the first issue. I got the lenticular Rorschach mask cover from my subscription service. Pretty good read, but obviously an impossible task for any writer to follow Moore, and not be found wanting. It's basically takes place 6 years after the events of the original series, so 1992.

Nice art from Frank and a good use of the characters so far, including the all-new Mime and Marionette, created by Johns and based on the obscure Charlton characters Punch and Jewelee, in much the same way the Watchmen characters were themselves echoes of Charlton characters (necessitated by the fact that DC did not want to radicalize their then-newly acquired Charlton characters as the subject matter of "Watchmen" would have).

There's even supplemental material at the back, as in the original series. All five black and white crossover promotional ads (in the style of the 6 made for the original series) are also included, a nice touch since actual DC characters barely appear in the first issue.

I have to order a couple of months in advance anyway for the discount, so I've already committed to at least three issues, but will likely follow this one all the way.

Last edited by jdandns; 12-10-2017 at 01:15 PM.
jdandns is offline   Reply With Quote