Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 100

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-31-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
dgbarnes

Default Aaron Gordon's cousin signing his autos?

Aaron Gordon is a semi-PC guy for me, and I couldn't help but notice some of his latest autos from NT. I legitimately thought they accidentally put another player's auto stickers on these. The bottom auto is essentially what he's always done, and the top is ummmmmm not.

dgbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
jcardstore

Ok, but where did you get his cousin from? Or did you just make that part up?
Old 05-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
duron

Na man na you got it all wrong he's just experimenting with his signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
Ok, but where did you get his cousin from? Or did you just make that part up?
Wasn't being literal.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
byronscott4ever

I’d be highly suspicious if you’ve never seen that signature version from him
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Deadshot

Seems suspicious because it's not any abbreviated form of a signature either. Here's an example of him signing earlier in the season (Oct 2017) that looks much closer to the traditional sig:

https://youtu.be/H1NndxzK3cU?t=36s

The only case I know of an active athlete making his signature longer would be Nicholas Castellanos of the Detroit Tigers (he changed his name from Nick). Doesn't look like that's the case here.
Deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
Jin

That is.. really bad
Old 05-31-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
Jasondr91

That SOOOOO was NOT signed by Aaron Gordon....
Old 05-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
Vinny407

I noticed that too. I watched a video of him talking about how long he practiced his auto during an interview with a local paper here. His auto basically hasn't changed since college. No possible way he signed that top one or any of the other similar stickers.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
Deadshot

I know Panini never officially owned up to the Shaq ghost signer, but they made sure to bring him in for a signing and take pictures to try and shut everyone up. There was a pretty lengthy thread here about it but did people badger them on Twitter as well?

Seems like this would be harder to do with a player more of Aaron Gordon's caliber (no disrespect meant).
Deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #10
pennywise

Yikes. I'm usually skeptical when anyone brings up other people signing for athletes but this looks blatantly obvious that Gordon did not sign that top sticker. Even the most drastic variances will usually show some semblance of conformity, but these two aren't even close. Pretty lame of Gordon and negligent of Panini to let that slide.

"Why you no work. I work - You will work too!!!" - Michael Jordan
pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
dgbarnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise View Post
Yikes. I'm usually skeptical when anyone brings up other people signing for athletes but this looks blatantly obvious that Gordon did not sign that top sticker. Even the most drastic variances will usually show some semblance of conformity, but these two aren't even close. Pretty lame of Gordon and negligent of Panini to let that slide.
Yeah, it's bad enough that AG would let this slide, but even worse that Panini couldn't practice even a minimal amount of QC.
dgbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #12
Frog

You know an auto is fake when you can tell that someone tried really hard to spell the whole name. Yuck
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
Jasondr91

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise View Post
Great points, I think there are times when the the player doesn't have time or want to be bothered with signing....so they let a close friend, or family member ink the stickers.....or a gigantic portion of them. They handle that stuff, and the player gives them a nice cut for doing it.

Back in the day, many celebs let their secretary or who ran their fan clubs sign stuff. But they often tried to mimic the star's authentic signature. What's sad is, these players sign a notarized form indicating that they PERSONALLY signed these items, thus giving the company producing the item the "COA" even though they didn't witness the star signing items. "This has been certified to us, as having been signed by......" and in reality like this particular Aaron Gordon, is fugazi. The liability falls on the athlete (who doesn't care) and when something is suspect say this sticker or series in particular.....QC by the manufacturer should spot stuff like this. But they don't.....they aren't typically fans of sports or the athletes. Did you know Upper Deck was offering $10/HOUR for folks to cut up game worn jerseys and make inserts.....do you think that lady or guy cares they are cutting up a Dallas Cowboys jersey and placing them on a Hakeem Olajuwon card?
Old 05-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #14
Jpayne7787

Someone should tweet those two scans to panini
Jpayne7787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #15
Oldschool42

Way too many autos on the market. IMO they have almost not value, especially sticker auto’s.
They need to cut way back on auto’s so that they will be worth more and then the player only needs to sign a few hundred not 1000’s. Read a thread yesterday about “changing auto’s”, it looks like the player has had everyone in his family sign his stuff...not cool. The players can care less about cards.
Oldschool42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #16
rman112
Banned

How many players are we up to now?
rman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #17
theworm
Banned

I just don't understand why this is so hard for Panini/Topps/Upper Deck/Leaf or whatever company is obtaining the signatures to be present when the star is signing. There are so many events that these athletes can be accessed. Games, promotions, practices, etc....Why can't these companies arrange these meetings? This should never happen because someone should be there witnessing the signing. If you can't obtain the signature in person, don't put it in a product. End of story.
theworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:36 PM   #18
SanAntonioSpurs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
How many players are we up to now?
Too many. But Panini is having them sign way too many autos. If I was a player I'd take the Tim Duncan route and sign a few then be done with it.
SanAntonioSpurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #19
8collector34

I am not trying to diss OP or anything, but just because a guy has more than one type of graph does not mean, that the graphs are fake.

The rumor of Shaq not signing his graphs had been around for a decade and some even said that his trough the mail stuff does not pass authentication. It is well founded. Even if it is just in rumor and hobby analysis.

These new threads about fake graphs with little to no logical explanation, and only two pictures accomplish nothing except underplay a major issue. We are not graphologists here, just hobbyist. I am sorry I cannot possibly form any opinion on Aaron's graph based on your thread.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #20
jmmintz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8collector34 View Post
I am not trying to diss OP or anything, but just because a guy has more than one type of graph does not mean, that the graphs are fake.

The rumor of Shaq not signing his graphs had been around for a decade and some even said that his trough the mail stuff does not pass authentication. It is well founded. Even if it is just in rumor and hobby analysis.

These new threads about fake graphs with little to no logical explanation, and only two pictures accomplish nothing except underplay a major issue. We are not graphologists here, just hobbyist. I am sorry I cannot possibly form any opinion on Aaron's graph based on your thread.
Not disagreeing, but every auto of his since his rookie year looks like the bottom one, not the top.

It's one thing for a dude to go shorthand after signing a full name since day one, but it's another to all of a sudden write your full name. How often does that happen?

That, and they don't even look like someone's gotten tired of signing and gotten lazy. They don't look ANYTHING alike IMO.

This Rookie Roll Call below looks like what would happen if someone got tired of signing....and it at least still sort of looks like the one below it and the second NT. The G has a similar shape, and there's the little stray dots at the end of his last name.

2014-15

2016-17

Last edited by jmmintz; 05-31-2018 at 04:13 PM.
jmmintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #21
8collector34

After reading all the comments and checking some images online, I can see why the fuss. I still see some resemblance. On the bottom card provided by OP is his typical rushed graph. The slants are similar however, the second "a" and "n"s are typical of his, and when he writes his full name, the letters seem to follow a straight line. They do not jump up and down, but there are obvious differences. The most obnoxious is pen pressure and speed. The one above resembles this ball a little more than the example provided by OP. The first "A" is very much like this here except it is not crossed with the horizontal line. Compared to this ball, his bottom auto looks just as fake in my opinion, but I dont say it is fake. Although I dont know if this ball is legit eigther :S

I would say he either had an off day when he signed that, does he drink or use cocain? OR it is indeed fake.

Last edited by 8collector34; 05-31-2018 at 04:43 PM.
8collector34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #22
mfw13

How hard is it for card companies to make sure players sign their cards in front of a third party (i.e. a company rep or notary)?

Seriously....
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:18 PM   #23
clipperboy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8collector34 View Post
After reading all the comments and checking some images online, I can see why the fuss. I still see some resemblance. On the bottom card provided by OP is his typical rushed graph. The slants are similar however, the second "a" and "n"s are typical of his, and when he writes his full name, the letters seem to follow a straight line. They do not jump up and down, but there are obvious differences. The most obnoxious is pen pressure and speed. The one above resembles this ball a little more than the example provided by OP. The first "A" is very much like this here except it is not crossed with the horizontal line. Compared to this ball, his bottom auto looks just as fake in my opinion, but I dont say it is fake. Although I dont know if this ball is legit eigther :S

I would say he either had an off day when he signed that, does he drink or use cocain? OR it is indeed fake.
There are basically no Similarities between the top and bottom autograph, which is a tell tale sign.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:24 PM   #24
pingbling23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
How hard is it for card companies to make sure players sign their cards in front of a third party (i.e. a company rep or notary)?

Seriously....
Thousands of athletes, hundreds of products, multiple sets within the products equals a lot more man power and expensive flights. I don’t see a reason why panini can’t have a database with legit autos and pay a small team to analyze the autos when they are shipped in or picked up. Maybe it isn’t worth it to them when, out of thousands of signers, there’s been a handful of issues. If it was my business I would want to be accurate.
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #25
pennywise

Who knows, honestly. We don't. They don't look anything alike but I suppose it's possible that he really does just have two completely different signatures. It wouldn't be the first or only time that this has happened.

There are only a handful of players' autos that I follow and know well and one of those is Penny Hardaway's. Anybody that collects his autos knows that he has a wide array of signatures, usually identified by, but not strictly confined to era. I think the average collector might look at one of his early autos next to one of his Panini autos and claim that one of them is a forgery. For that reason, I probably shouldn't comment on a players' autograph that I don't follow closely. I might have jumped the gun with my first comment.

A person's signature can vary drastically, not just over a span of years, but even in one sitting. This applies to everyone, not just professional athletes and celebrities. Some people sign the exact same way, every time. Others show very little consistency between signatures. This is either due to a natural variance like fatigue/poor penmanship/etc.., or it could be that the player intentionally chose to sign that card/sticker differently. Personally speaking, my signature changes quite a bit. Can't imagine what it would look like if I signed 200+ stickers in one sitting.

"Why you no work. I work - You will work too!!!" - Michael Jordan
pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote