Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Mad

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #126
Hess687

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethenorth View Post
my top 10 horror/mystery:
the descent
final destination
saw
28 days later
the mist
orphan
dawn of the dead (remake)
quarantine
the others
6th sense
Good call on The Mist....such an underrated movie. The ending was crazy.
Hess687 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #127
nera20

Quote:
the descent
final destination
saw
28 days later
the mist
orphan
quarantine
the others
6th sense
quarantine was a crazy movie and orphan was actually pretty solid

Always Interested in Buying/Trading for Ken Griffey Jr Rare Inserts, Parallels, On Card Autos In Mariners Uniform
nera20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #128
Seahawks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hess687 View Post
Agreed... The Mist has the happiest most family friendly ending ever
Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #129
YanksBillsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpastikMooss View Post
Yeah I have Salo, A Serbian Film, Irreversible, and Funny Games all on my watchlist. Eventually I'll see 'em all.

As for Irreversible, it's weird I never saw it. I did a undergrad film thesis on rape revenge films as a genre but never got around to watching Irreversible. I've heard a lot of good things though.
For a rape revenge film, it's probably at the top. "I Spit on Your Grave" has a cult following and was pretty decent. Bathtub scene Remake was okay. Chick was hot and the kills were pretty interesting.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #130
YanksBillsFan

Quote:
Is it just me or did anyone else want a sequel or some sort of spinoff about The Arrowhead Project that brought these creatures into the world. I was so intrigued by the reveal and want to see so much more of that.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #131
Davesportscards

My favorites:

Insidious 1 & 2
The Conjuring
Apollo 18
Paranormal Activity
Davesportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #132
Hess687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
My favorites:

Insidious 1 & 2
The Conjuring
Apollo 18
Paranormal Activity
I still say Insidious is one of the best horror movies of the past 10 years. The music that is played "Tiptoe through the Tulips" was just fantastic.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #133
Kingofkings1281

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksBillsFan View Post
For a rape revenge film, it's probably at the top. "I Spit on Your Grave" has a cult following and was pretty decent. Bathtub scene Remake was okay. Chick was hot and the kills were pretty interesting.
The original "I Spit on your Grave" wasn't even a movie in my opinion. It was atrocious in every aspect. The remake however was fantastic.

http://kingofkings1281.imgur.com
Kingofkings1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #134
Kingofkings1281

Quote:
Yeah I have Salo, A Serbian Film, Irreversible, and Funny Games all on my watchlist. Eventually I'll see 'em all.

As for Irreversible, it's weird I never saw it. I did a undergrad film thesis on rape revenge films as a genre but never got around to watching Irreversible. I've heard a lot of good things though.
I thought "A Serbian Film" and "Funny Games" were excellent. As for "Irreversible", I found it to be one of the most hollow and reprehensible movies ever made. I know that sounds odd coming from someone who enjoyed the aforementioned films on your list, but it had no substance to me. It felt like an excuse to put the most uncomfortable rape scene in cinematic history on screen for no reason. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I doubt I'd feel any different about it now.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #135
Hess687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofkings1281 View Post
I thought "A Serbian Film" and "Funny Games" were excellent. As for "Irreversible", I found it to be one of the most hollow and reprehensible movies ever made. I know that sounds odd coming from someone who enjoyed the aforementioned films on your list, but it had no substance to me. It felt like an excuse to put the most uncomfortable rape scene in cinematic history on screen for no reason. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I doubt I'd feel any different about it now.
There are few things that turn me off to horror movies, but straight gore just for the sake of gore is one of them and the other is a rape scene. It's not just uncomfortable but a lot of the time it's just not needed and seems to be thrown in for the hell of it.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #136
Kingofkings1281

Quote:
There are few things that turn me off to horror movies, but straight gore just for the sake of gore is one of them and the other is a rape scene. It's not just uncomfortable but a lot of the time it's just not needed and seems to be thrown in for the hell of it.
The whole film is built on an almost 20 minute rape scene that seemed to drag on for half of the movie. Implied rape or a sequence here and there doesn't bother me a whole lot, but to devote that kind of time to it and actually have the two actors engage in sexual intercourse was far too much. It's as close to snuff as you can get without actually crossing that line.

A lot of people seem to disagree with me when it comes to "Irreversible", but I just don't see the value in it I guess.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #137
tacoma34

Never heard of these rape movies you guys are referring to. Glad I haven't. What in heck is enjoyable about watching something like that? That BS shouldn't and is not included in the horror genre. Thats the "you need Jesus" genre lol.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:23 AM   #138
IronMonkey415

I like Puppet Master
Old 08-12-2015, 01:28 AM   #139
Clarka3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
I like Puppet Master
i never really considered these horror, but they are all worth a viewing for sure. Or, are you talking about the alien one? I was thinking of the puppets that kill people.

Quote:
the descent
final destination
saw
28 days later
the mist
orphan
quarantine
the others
6th sense
if you liked Quarantine, watch Rec instead. QT was a frame for frame ripoff of the spanish film. the Rec series is just better than the Quarantine series.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #140
SpastikMooss

Quote:
The original "I Spit on your Grave" wasn't even a movie in my opinion. It was atrocious in every aspect. The remake however was fantastic.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma34 View Post
Never heard of these rape movies you guys are referring to. Glad I haven't. What in heck is enjoyable about watching something like that? That BS shouldn't and is not included in the horror genre. Thats the "you need Jesus" genre lol.
It's interesting seeing people's different perspectives about rape in horror movies, as that's a lot of what my film covered. A lot of it was actually about how different genres/cultures handle the rape/revenge film, where some films can make such a scene work despite the hideous-ness of the act while other films just use it for exploitive sake and are really sick and disgusting.

The original I Spit on Your Grave was a big part of my paper, and it is a super divisive movie. My (then friend) now wife watched it with me for the paper and she left like 20 minutes in because she was disgusted. I watched the whole thing, and I agree the beginning was way too much and unnecessarily long, but the end half of the movie was fairly satisfactory as a result. But I don't know that the ends justify the means in this one, or in Irreversible (which I haven't seen).

The totally random, no need for it in the plot sexual assault in stuff is what gets to me more generally. Like when Seth Rogen messes around with a drunken Anna Faris in Observe and Report, or when Ramsay had his way with Sansa in the latest season of Game of Thrones. Both things could have existed without any assault, which can't be said of ISOYG and Irreversible. But both ISOYG and Irreversible certainly could have been less graphic/long in their depiction of such a heinous act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
i never really considered these horror, but they are all worth a viewing for sure. Or, are you talking about the alien one? I was thinking of the puppets that kill people.
That's definitely what he was talking about (the puppets that kill people). It's not really that scary as a series, but it's definitely horror...it's as horror-ish as any of the later Nightmares on Elm St./Friday the 13ths/Leprechauns/etc. It's just...more fun horror than actual scare horror.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #141
IronMonkey415

Yes the one with the killer puppet.

Now I have search for that Alien one..lol

Last edited by IronMonkey415; 08-12-2015 at 11:22 PM.
IronMonkey415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:21 PM   #142
IronMonkey415

I get it now, that Alien SLUG movie is also called Puppet Master..LOL

The Puppet Masters (1994) - IMDb
Old 08-13-2015, 01:29 AM   #143
Clarka3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
I get it now, that Alien SLUG movie is also called Puppet Master..LOL

The Puppet Masters (1994) - IMDb
right. i always assumed people were talking about the killer puppets, and was always shocked when people were instead talking about that movie instead.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #144
SpastikMooss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
right. i always assumed people were talking about the killer puppets, and was always shocked when people were instead talking about that movie instead.
Huh, is that one any good? I love me some Donald Sutherland especially in sci-fi/horror movies. Like the remake of Body Snatchers he was in...so awesome.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #145
IronMonkey415

EVIDENCE on netflix streaming
I DID NOT EXPECT THOSE xxxxxxxxx were the killer...wow, came out of nowhere.

Copy and paste from wiki.

The film begins by showing the aftermath of the massacre in Kidwell, Nevada.

Police are first seen going over the crime scene showing the aftermath of everything that had happened; The story then moves to a press conference with reporters asking questions about the massacre to the lead Detective Burquez who states that the police are looking into the matter. After the conference a disheveled Detective Reese asks to be put on the case to which Detective Burquez relents. They move to a situation room with a TV and multiple computers going over information from the case, here we learn there were four video cameras found at the crime scene and two survivors, They load up the first video camera and begin to watch.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:15 AM   #146
Clarka3

Quote:
Huh, is that one any good? I love me some Donald Sutherland especially in sci-fi/horror movies. Like the remake of Body Snatchers he was in...so awesome.
i didn't like the alien puppetmaster movie, but that's because i went in assuming it was the actual puppets.

the Sutherland remake of Body Snatchers was good. I also have a soft spot in my heart for the other remake that took place on the military base. I didn't want to sleep without examining all hiding places for a pod for a while

plus, it shook the "usual" movie trope of the kid living. In that remake, the kid ended up being turned and died at the end.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #147
celtics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawks fan View Post
Agreed... The Mist has the happiest most family friendly ending ever
I literally can't watch that movie for a 2nd time because of the ending. It was an awesome movie til that point for me.
celtics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #148
celtics

Quote:
I still say Insidious is one of the best horror movies of the past 10 years. The music that is played "Tiptoe through the Tulips" was just fantastic.
I agree, I've seen just about every horror move the past 10 years and I agree 100% with this. This movie was perfect to me and 5/5 stars which I don't give out often.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #149
celtics

By far the creepiest movie i've ever seen is The Poughkeepsie Tapes. I found it on Youtube around 1 PM after my Family left my house on Christmas Eve 2013 and I was HOOKED!

I literally see EVERY Horror movie and I'm never creeped out, scared or jump but I was so creeped out for this one that I wouldn't let my Cat leave the room I was watching it in LOL.

If you have not seen it yet make sure to check it out. I still get chills because what happens in the movie could happen anywhere, anytime to anyone and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #150
Hess687

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtics View Post
By far the creepiest movie i've ever seen is The Poughkeepsie Tapes. I found it on Youtube around 1 PM after my Family left my house on Christmas Eve 2013 and I was HOOKED!

I literally see EVERY Horror movie and I'm never creeped out, scared or jump but I was so creeped out for this one that I wouldn't let my Cat leave the room I was watching it in LOL.

If you have not seen it yet make sure to check it out. I still get chills because what happens in the movie could happen anywhere, anytime to anyone and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
Although we agree on Insidious, I ended up watching the Poughkeepsie tapes on youtube after seeing your recommendation. Interesting, but not really a fan. Not sure if it was youtube's video quality, but I couldn't see sh*t half the time. I'm just not a fan of first person camera use in horror movies. Blair Witch set the bar high and then people just went crazy with it, killing the genre altogether. Interesting storyline, though and I did watch the whole thing.