Blowout Cards Forums
retail mania

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #376
SaveMeTheGum

A great first step in the battle against this nonsense.

Good riddance losers!

IG: CardboardDynamite
SaveMeTheGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #377
superdan49
BODA

On behalf of BODA, I'd like to declare this case closed.

I will celebrate by opening this SSI Black Label pack I bought. Wish me luck on finding some gems!
superdan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #378
KhalDrogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdan49 View Post

I will celebrate by opening this SSI Black Label pack I bought. Wish me luck on finding some gems!

Please do share your break results.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 PM   #379
3124508 on COMC
BODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post

Please do share your break results.
Here you go:

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...vestments-gold
3124508 on COMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #380
SaveMeTheGum

The fact that they sell re-packs is all you really need to know...

Old 03-11-2019, 11:57 PM   #381
salthill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliercards View Post
Situations like this make me wonder now when we get messages after a sale that state: "As part of the agreement of me purchasing this item I ask you do not disclose my eBay name or real name in purchasing this item or the price. Thank you"

After sale but before payment? In any case it’s meaningless and they can’t hold you to unilaterally added terms. Do you even respond?
salthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:13 AM   #382
Soxfanguy

Quote:

Those edges look like they are chipping. Would be a shame if someone trimmed them
Old 03-12-2019, 12:14 AM   #383
Soxfanguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by salthill View Post
After sale but before payment? In any case it’s meaningless and they can’t hold you to unilaterally added terms. Do you even respond?
I ask not I require, so you can do whatever you want
Old 03-12-2019, 05:30 AM   #384
Saraste

Quote:

Were the packs searched?
Saraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:36 AM   #385
jlzinck

Yay so the lowlife and his co-conspirators are gone.

Nothing will change until the money grubbing whores at BGS and PSA take an interest in putting a stop to this.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #386
blackbears86

Thanks to the mods and blowout and most of all, those who brought this whole mess to light.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #387
corndog
BODA

Location: From a table in McDonalds, with lovely fake flowers on it.

Dan, since you were the OP in both of the SSI threads, you may want to edit the first post in each thread with a timeline of the events, evidence presented, Post numbers of Sliheet's arrogant posts, and the fact that all known SSI BO accounts have now been banned. Include his photo as well.
When a friend, family member, future business partner, vendor or collector Googles his name or SSI, they will be linked to page one and all of the pertinent information will be presented there.

Also you might ask a mod to redo the other thread to include Bill John Sliheet and Nathan Nichols' names for future Google searches.

Your time consuming detective work is very much appreciated!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #388
Scottish Punk

Quote:
I think it is already there, unfortunately. Trimmers will be harder to catch from now on, at least until measuring cards and allowing less wiggle room in size tolerances takes place.

I do think though that the introduction of the BGS 10 Black Label had the unintentional effect of making the trimming a $10 Chrome rookie card that much more lucrative. I think these type of cards were probably trimmed much, much less before the Black Label's creation. But as JMANIA said earlier, this issue is not about one seller or one grading company. We've just reached the one mile mark of a marathon that we likely won't be able to finish running.
I am not sure there is more or less trimming before the TPGs got involved. I do know that since then, there is a much bigger incentive to trim. When a trimmer gets a card in a BGS/PSA holder, it is now legitimate. This is one of the big reasons I don't get those that pay crazy prices for PSA 10s. That and it s a coin flip on whether some of these cards end up a 9 or a 10.
Scottish Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #389
TrickyNick

BGS is going to be fine. They're going to add a fifth grade - size. Measure, list and grade size (as compared to listed size).

Just went up another two bucks per card
TrickyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #390
TreyLyles
Banned - PBM

Good work. You should start a boycott BGS thread next. Have people sign up and state that they will not submit with or buy a BGS card until BGS addresses the concerns of their willingness to continue dealing with Kevin Burge and trimmers like him. If they continue association, they will admit to turn a blind eye and not care about defrauding their customers.
TreyLyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #391
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyLyles View Post
Good work. You should start a boycott BGS thread next. Have people sign up and state that they will not submit with or buy a BGS card until BGS addresses the concerns of their willingness to continue dealing with Kevin Burge and trimmers like him. If they continue association, they will admit to turn a blind eye and not care about defrauding their customers.
Yeah but people like their money more than good morals
Siberian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #392
SaveMeTheGum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyLyles View Post
I will never use BGS again, but I doubt we can even make a dent in them.

The only way to truly get some traction here is to make sure word gets around at National. You need to get the word out to all the big players. Some are probably on here, but I'm sure many are not. And if they don't care, it won't make a difference, but it's a good place to start.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #393
Onepocketj

The thing that really pisses me off is I just sent in an Absolute Brady rookie to BGS. It got a 9.5 and there were only 5 of those in existence out of 173 submitted. If I was anyone else seeing that, after seeing this thread, I would 100% think that it was trimmed and submitted. It wasn't - I bought it years ago in a BCCG 10 holder and sent it in that way. But now there is that doubt in everyone's mind and I don't blame any of them.
Onepocketj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #394
SaveMeTheGum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onepocketj View Post
The thing that really pisses me off is I just sent in an Absolute Brady rookie to BGS. It got a 9.5 and there were only 5 of those in existence out of 173 submitted. If I was anyone else seeing that, after seeing this thread, I would 100% think that it was trimmed and submitted. It wasn't - I bought it years ago in a BCCG 10 holder and sent it in that way. But now there is that doubt in everyone's mind and I don't blame any of them.
Also, think how many of those other 4 might be trimmed...

Old 03-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #395
3124508 on COMC
BODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMeTheGum View Post
Also, think how many of those other 4 might be trimmed...
Or that one is trimmmed too. Remember there is reason to believe that SSI has been trimming since 2006. Unless you pulled it, there’s no way to truly be certain.
3124508 on COMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #396
Onepocketj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3124508 on COMC View Post
Or that one is trimmmed too. Remember there is reason to believe that SSI has been trimming since 2006. Unless you pulled it, there’s no way to truly be certain.
You're right but it's highly doubtful someone would trim a card and then submit it to BCCG IMO. I'd simply send it to BGS at that point. And I bought the card back when it was about $100 so not a huge profit margin either.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 AM   #397
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onepocketj View Post
You're right but it's highly doubtful someone would trim a card and then submit it to BCCG IMO. I'd simply send it to BGS at that point. And I bought the card back when it was about $100 so not a huge profit margin either.
BCCG is what BGS offers to bulkers that have cards that dont meet min grade

So the bulker pays a fraction to have it BCCGd rather then having ti returned unslabbed

BCCG is about two grades higher then the real grade
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:46 AM   #398
MFaulkCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMeTheGum View Post
I will never use BGS again, but I doubt we can even make a dent in them.

The only way to truly get some traction here is to make sure word gets around at National. You need to get the word out to all the big players. Some are probably on here, but I'm sure many are not. And if they don't care, it won't make a difference, but it's a good place to start.
the problem with the whole boycotting BGS......... it's not doing nearly as much damage to them as it's doing to the collector by not submitting

if i have some cards that are higher profile; it's necessary to have them graded..... you get an honest grading opinion if you are a normal submitter, you get a nice slab, you get buyer peace of mind when/if you need to sell

for honest collectors/sellers...... you are just cutting off your nose to spite your face... literally, you arepissing money away

it's a tough pill to swallow for sure but just because a few select people are in bed with BGS..... doesn't mean you shouldn't take care of yourself; and if eventually BGS is so stupid their service isn't worth the cost, they will fold.... .but as for now each person in the hobby should do what is best for themselves and really pay attention to what they are buying

the volume of orders submitted will only decrease when the value of the BGS slab decreases.... as long as buyers of graded bgs cards pay the high premium, orders will keep being shuttled in

Last edited by MFaulkCollector; 03-14-2019 at 12:49 AM.
MFaulkCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 AM   #399
Onepocketj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
BCCG is what BGS offers to bulkers that have cards that dont meet min grade

So the bulker pays a fraction to have it BCCGd rather then having ti returned unslabbed

BCCG is about two grades higher then the real grade
I'm not sure that's true. Granted I only sent 7 cards in but I've heard the same from everyone I've talked to. BGS basically guarantees a 9 - I got two 9.5's, four 9's and an 8.5. So one was lower but I'm not complaining.

I've heard others say the same as far as grades go and also BGS making it up to them if one doesn't reach the grade. It is the same graders so that makes sense.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 AM   #400
BradyCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3124508 on COMC View Post
Guess who bought this one?

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...9933&page=5434

Hidden on page 5,434 on Probstein's feedback is this gold nugget of feedback for superiorsportsinv. Note the sale date Jan 12, 2016. Exact title match.

Trimming since 2006 doesn't seem too crazy now.

Is this the reference for the 2006 date for trimming (post 291)? I think it’s a typo, and we are inferring January 2016 (the sale date of the Bradshaw) and not 2006 as the earliest obvious date SSI may have been trimming (Superdan post - Bradshaw card). I just want to clarify if this is right, because 2006 would be devastating if high quality trims were getting past Beckett and PSA that long ago. I don’t think so, at least for Brady rookies the explosion of Bgs 9.5 and 10s is a recent phenomenon. Right now, every BGS card on my Ebay watchlist is graded 2016-present. 2016 is bad enough, as it casts a taint over any recently graded cards. It’s hard to pull the trigger on $2k+ when you can’t be sure ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BradyCollector is offline   Reply With Quote