Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction netflix add

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-13-2022, 10:47 AM   #926
Nomad

I think there are eight shoo-in and potential hall of famers playin among the two teams.

That's a lot, and doesn't even scratch the prospects on the bench. Curry is one of them, no doubt. He has benefitted from a system however, just like the Celtics. After the series lets talk about where the respective systems stack up among the top 10. I think one of the two will be in the conversation.
Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:52 AM   #927
Randallk34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedlaw View Post
I thought we are talking ceilings. Poole basically just had all those guy’s career year.

Exactly, Poole had a career year.
Randallk34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:10 AM   #928
SupermanBrandon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I think there are eight shoo-in and potential hall of famers playin among the two teams.

That's a lot, and doesn't even scratch the prospects on the bench. Curry is one of them, no doubt. He has benefitted from a system however, just like the Celtics. After the series lets talk about where the respective systems stack up among the top 10. I think one of the two will be in the conversation.
Dang. You're putting everyone that can dribble a ball into the Hall. Any concession people or ushers you want to throw in there too? How many players, that are playing in the league right now, are going into the Hall one day? 75-80 players?
SupermanBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #929
ballhawkdawk

Quote:

To me Curry is the system. Without him, you can’t run that offense anywhere close to the way it’s ran with him.
ballhawkdawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #930
the mesiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywest View Post
Poppycock.

I blame American hot take media for this. Stephen Smith, Skips Blayless, Shannons Sharpe. Way too many people have an opinion nowadays and they all screeching for attention. You crowning Curry top 6 after just one big time finals game. Analytics and hot take media. Ruining basketball

https://www.flickr.com/photos/196511489@N05/albums/with/72177720302212328
the mesiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:23 AM   #931
eastbayak

Quote:

To be fair, he is the system.
eastbayak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #932
Nomad

Last edited by Nomad; 06-13-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:15 PM   #933
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanBrandon View Post
Dang. You're putting everyone that can dribble a ball into the Hall. Any concession people or ushers you want to throw in there too? How many players, that are playing in the league right now, are going into the Hall one day? 75-80 players?
Ok, 8 guaranteed may be off. But not out of the ballpark. Shoo-ins on their current arc:

Curry
Green
Wiggens

Tatum
Brown
Smart

ok, that's 6. But I figure that of Pritch, Poole, Williams, Nesmith, Kuminga, 1-2 reasonably get in. The young guns will have learned a lot from this playoff.

And let's talk the coaches. Kerr definitely. Udoka looking good so far.

Last edited by Nomad; 06-13-2022 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #934
eastbayak

Quote:
Shoo-ins on their current arc:

Curry
Green
Wiggens

Tatum
Brown
Smart

ok, that's 6. But I figure that of Pritch, Poole, Williams, Nesmith, Kuminga, two reasonably get in. The young guns will have learned a lot from this playoff.
First, you never know what tomorrow brings (e.g., injury).

Right now, I think only Curry and Draymond are shoo-ins from your list. You also omitted Klay and I think he also gets in on what he's already accomplished.

And, to be honest, even if the players on your list continue to have lengthy careers, I'm not sure Wiggins/Brown/Smart are shoo-ins. Much of it will depend on what they accomplish and how productive they continue to be later in their career.

Saying 2 of the young guns get in is a little ambitious too. Calm down on Nesmith too, that guy regressed this year.
eastbayak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #935
Kingofkings1281

Quote:
Ok, 8 guaranteed may be off. But not out of the ballpark. Shoo-ins on their current arc:

Curry
Green
Wiggens

Tatum
Brown
Smart

ok, that's 6. But I figure that of Pritch, Poole, Williams, Nesmith, Kuminga, 1-2 reasonably get in. The young guns will have learned a lot from this playoff.

Nesmith definitely gets in before Klay Thompson.

http://kingofkings1281.imgur.com
Kingofkings1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #936
tennelson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywest View Post
Poppycock.

I blame American hot take media for this. Stephen Smith, Skips Blayless, Shannons Sharpe. Way too many people have an opinion nowadays and they all screeching for attention. You crowning Curry top 6 after just one big time finals game. Analytics and hot take media. Ruining basketball

I've always felt top whatever number lists are inherently stupid. Because eras, and positions but people love them. They absolutely love them, and I'm not quite sure why. But just for arguments sakes, you say Curry top 6... how are you going to compare him versus centers like Shaq and Hakeem for example? As I'm obviously assuming you don't have them in your "top 6"

Don't
Do you know I love what DH12 did?

DH12 was the next guy. His prime was higher than LeBron's. Check what I just said.

DH12 beat PRIME LBJ on his way to lose to Kobe and company.

Curry is doing this for how long? Curry revolutionized what the game is now, period. Top down loves him. NBA, Comish, Fans, GMs, media and etc. This guy has low key transcended and impacted the game so much that the game is now revolving around him. Crazy how that works, right? Oh wait, he's just that good.

Injuries have hampered Curry's career for a long time. A lot of his prime wasn't at 100%, but isn't it apparent how good this guy is?

6 title runs in 8 years? Guy is the epitome of NBA basketball today.

Shaq had a shelf life of a few years and then helped Dwade win a ring, but long term success is the model I use for greatness. Where is Shaq on that?

LeBron/Curry isn't so far off in discussion for who is better AND personally I'd rather have LBJ (I think he offers more), but to negate what Curry has done for years is a joke.

Wiggins - Bonafied SCRUB with twolves
Draymond - put him on the bobcats and he won't start
Klay - Who knows. Guy is more injured than Steph and his injuries have impacted his career trajectory tremendously.
Durant - Hasn't won anything leading a team.

Curry put people's argument to bed with this post season of him not being in top 10.

6 Finals runs in 8 seasons with solid players. Give me someone else in this decade who has done that besides the king? You can't...
99-00 topps east/west, 04-05 ud black diamond gemography autos, 08-09 topps chrome orange refractors, 09-10 certified, 10-11 donruss cracked ice, 11-12 limited xrc non autos, 12-13 prizm, 12-13 brilliance spellbound letters
tennelson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:35 PM   #937
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbayak View Post
You also omitted Klay and I think he also gets in on what he's already accomplished.

Calm down on Nesmith too, that guy regressed this year.
Totally omitted Klay. So I would bet on 7-8.

Nee... He progressed defensively and with the system, but had very limited looks. First, Celtics were trying to decide which to keep among their 3rd year players with expanding contracts (Langford, Grant Williams) pre trade deadline, then five minutes into his big start when Smart was out, ankle injury that kept him out 2 months (Robert Williams stepped on him going to basket, ouch). That was leading to playoffs, it is what it is. Of the bench mob I actually like Pritch (a young Stockton) and maybe Poole, if he can bulk up and learn defense.

Last edited by Nomad; 06-13-2022 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:49 PM   #938
cardlawyer

Horford is a shoo-in. 5x All-Star. 2x NCAA champion
cardlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:53 PM   #939
ScooterT312

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanBrandon View Post
Off the top of my head

For sure - Steph, Klay, Dray, Tatum(major injury aside), Horford

Decent chance - Iggy - only 1 ASG but FMVP, 2x all defense, and 3 chips.

Up in the air - Jaylen Brown

That’s 5 for sure, 1 with a better than 50-50 chance maybe, and one younger player who could absolutely have a hall of fame worthy career.

That doesn’t account for anyone else on either team but it would be the Wiggins and Smart type guys

Last edited by ScooterT312; 06-13-2022 at 12:56 PM.
ScooterT312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:53 PM   #940
daeve

Curry, Klay, Draymond, and Kerr are the only "shoo-ins"

Tatum has a good shot for his age/career so far.
daeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:53 PM   #941
rhigh2390

Quote:

Curry
Green
Wiggens

Tatum
Brown
Smart

I'm not sure if you're joking or not...

I say 4, possibly 5 future HOFers.

Last edited by rhigh2390; 06-13-2022 at 12:57 PM.
rhigh2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:57 PM   #942
sportzluvr1

Quote:

Curry
Green
Wiggens

Tatum
Brown
Smart

Just to quote.
sportzluvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:32 PM   #943
Zedlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallk34 View Post
Exactly, Poole had a career year.
Maybe, but that’s not the argument. A guy’s ceiling is what they become after squeezing every ounce of potential from their career. I’m not predicting what player Poole might become, just acknowledging that this is the foundation. Whether he builds on that or not is up to him. His turnovers can come down, his assists go up, take better threes, add some weight and profile as a better defender. So yeah, he’s the best of Lou Williams right now, but why can’t he become Booker or Lillard.
Zedlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:36 PM   #944
SupermanBrandon
Banned

"shoo-ins"...people are talking about rookies & bench guys that they hadn't heard of until last week. SHOO-INS! Not..."I think if this and that happens...and he stays healthy for the next 15 years".
SupermanBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:42 PM   #945
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofkings1281 View Post
Nesmith definitely gets in before Klay Thompson.
Klay, I dunno, he is not the same. But waking up recently.

There has been a consensus on Blowout that basically everyone gets into the hall. Or is that a way of devaluing players you don't think are worthy?
Old 06-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #946
abidtsteele

Quote:

Curry
Green
Wiggens

Tatum
Brown
Smart

Wiggens? Smart? Even Tatum/Brown are not sure bets. The young guns sentence should only ever be repeated when mocking this dude

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abtistcards/
abidtsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:45 PM   #947
Nomad

Smart is the Draymond Green of the Celtics. But not as dirty. If he stays healthy, I think he gets in easy... if the Celts win a couple.

Wiggens I actually think has more of a shot. But then again, it really depends. Let's come back to this in 20 years. I think it's no less than 6 and potentially 7-8.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:38 PM   #948
daeve

Interesting list here.

Quote:
In the past 25 years, 25 players have scored 500+ points in the 4th quarter of playoff games. Of those 25, Steph Curry leads in points per minute and Steve Nash leads in TS%. (self.nba)
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...ve_scored_500/

For those who don't click, Steph is #1 in Pts/36 [what the list is sorted by], with a big gap until you get #2-4, which is KD, Lebron, and Kobe. Then another gap gets you to CP3 at #5.

Steph has a big lead over the other top 4 in 3P%, FT%, and TS%.
daeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:43 PM   #949
Nomad

With all this talk of Steph, what people don't realize is that the Celtics strategy is to isolate, make Steph take 3s. He made them last game. Their defense is working and they will probably try same in G4, banking on the fact that a similar performance is unlikely. If Tatum finds his stuff, could even be a blowout. And like I have been saying, Udoka has the 'energy' card, even if others on the team don't want their thunder taken.

Last edited by Nomad; 06-13-2022 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:13 PM   #950
rhigh2390

Quote:
With all this talk of Steph, what people don't realize is that the Celtics strategy is to isolate, make Steph take 3s. He made them last game. Their defense is working and they will probably try same in G4, banking on the fact that a similar performance is unlikely. If Tatum finds his stuff, could even be a blowout. And like I have been saying, Udoka has the 'energy' card, even if others on the team don't want their thunder taken.
Their strategy is to double/triple team Steph because of GS's offensive limitations. Steph has still been able to go off though... With the level of difficulty and the work Steph has to put in to even get a shot up, it's really crazy how well he's playing.
rhigh2390 is offline   Reply With Quote