Blowout Cards Forums
retail mania

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
tajikey

Default For Conversation's Sake...

I'd like to discuss nature vs. nurture. I tend to lean toward a hybrid variation of the topic, believing that we're born with the knowledge necessary to survive in the world from a knowledge standpoint, but only through nurturing, are we encouraged to grasp that knowledge.

For example, I feel like my brain was built, from birth, to understand technology, English, and current events. I also feel like my brain, from birth, was NOT built to understand math, physics, chemistry, and anything that has to do with the legal system.

Ultimately, I believe that when we're confronted with something that fits our niche, a repressed memory of sorts rears its head, "jogging" a memory that's been in there the whole time, but needed a reminder to come to the surface. Conversely, when we're confronted with a subject/topic that doesn't fit our niche, the repressed memories failed to come to the surface, suggesting that our brain was not built for those subjects.

I know, this is out of left field, but it doesn't relate to politics or religion (could get there eventually, but let's try not to).

Too deep for a Friday?
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
XL5

Watch this.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
tajikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
Added to the queue, thanks!
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Cubs_rock21

Our brains were created to take in and develop knowledge throughout our lives. It's all the distractions that have been created that make us uninterested in certain topics. We are brainwashed from birth on, as to what we want to do, how we act. Without the distractions (technology, etc) we would be tuned to learn math, science, etc.

English, technology, and current events are what we are surrounded by everyday, so it's not that our brains are built to know that, it's just that we have taken it in so long that we are accustomed to it, thus we are comfortble learning are futrhur progressing upon it. Now if I went to Germany and wanted to learn German, I would have to study and learn the language, it's not that my brain was built to only know English, I just wasn't born into the language and thus have to make up for 20+ years of never knowing something.
Cubs_rock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
ilovethelakings
I make a lot of posts!

I'm with you on the hybrid idea. I tend to believe that is nature + nurture, but I do recognize that some folks are just born a certain way and they will always be that way no matter how much they are encouraged or educated to not be that way.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Nicnac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethelakings View Post
I'm with you on the hybrid idea. I tend to believe that is nature + nurture, but I do recognize that some folks are just born a certain way and they will always be that way no matter how much they are encouraged or educated to not be that way.
To go with this, like having artistic talent... Some people are musical and others can't hold a tune or beat a rhythm no matter how long they are trained.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
jlzinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
To go with this, like having artistic talent... Some people are musical and others can't hold a tune or beat a rhythm no matter how long they are trained.
I can't draw or play a musical instrument BUT I can do the Federal taxes of 75% of the working population.

I am more of a spoken word person.
My wife can communicate with the written word in a way I could only hope.