Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Mad

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 01-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #1
IndySportsCards

Default Word to the Wise: Marvel Variants

Bleeding Cool has reported that marvel is offering 1100 different recent variants to retailers at seriously discounted prices. This will cause the Marvel variant market to shrink in terms of resale. Be very cautious buying any back issue Marvel variants over the next few months covers as there may be way more supply than demand.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
digitalbc

I'm always wondering in the back of my mind when the variant market will dry up.
digitalbc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
marino13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Bleeding Cool has reported that marvel is offering 1100 different recent variants to retailers at seriously discounted prices. This will cause the Marvel variant market to shrink in terms of resale. Be very cautious buying any back issue Marvel variants over the next few months covers as there may be way more supply than demand.

This was supposed to be a hush hush situation since last year -- and it kept well until someone "broke the rank" and spilled the beans....

I been told so I heed the advice by staying away from variants and stuff. And I did post about them a while back, but then again "He is a reckless hoarder" ...
Old 01-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
Spider-Fan

Investment potential (lack there of) aside, its a great opportunity for collectors to try to find some covers they liked that maybe they weren't able to get their hands on before.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Morgoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Investment potential (lack there of) aside, its a great opportunity for collectors to try to find some covers they liked that maybe they weren't able to get their hands on before.
That's the key, if collectors like the covers and want to collect them great, but paying 100's for a cover to horde and flip makes collecting suck.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
That's the key, if collectors like the covers and want to collect them great, but paying 100's for a cover to horde and flip makes collecting suck.
I think that people use the term "collecting" far to broadly. If you are speculating or investing, its really not the same thing. "Collecting" something in no way infers that it will increase in value over time. My brother collects antique keys and lamps. One of my colleagues collects bar coasters, and another one collects beer crowns. None of them have any intention of selling those collections for a payload down the road.

Personally, I think if you intent is to sell, that you should not label yourself a collector. You may be both a collector and an investor or speculator, but they are not inherently the same thing.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
Morgoth

Quote:
I think that people use the term "collecting" far to broadly. If you are speculating or investing, its really not the same thing. "Collecting" something in no way infers that it will increase in value over time. My brother collects antique keys and lamps. One of my colleagues collects bar coasters, and another one collects beer crowns. None of them have any intention of selling those collections for a payload down the road.

Personally, I think if you intent is to sell, that you should not label yourself a collector. You may be both a collector and an investor or speculator, but they are not inherently the same thing.
True but I do believe there are a lot of collectors out there and the profit guys take advantage of them. I pretty much only collect Spiderman, Blue Beetle and Booster Gold books.

Everything else is for fun and profit.

The price of some ASM variants is so crazy it has made me only want to collect the first 300 issues.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
natbornkiller

they have be doing this for decades
Old 01-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #9
Mysterio

Aren't most of these the more common variants, though? No 1:50s or 1:100s, right?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
dannyman

Hopefully it will be a good time to stock up on some blank variants.

Con season coming up and I need to restock my blanks.
dannyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #11
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyman View Post
Hopefully it will be a good time to stock up on some blank variants.

Con season coming up and I need to restock my blanks.
I typically buy them from Midtown in previews, or when they are running one of those 75% off sales. They had Princess Leia for $1.12/each last month.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
Comix Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
Aren't most of these the more common variants, though? No 1:50s or 1:100s, right?
Either lower ratios or higher ratios that nobody cares about. For the most part.
Comix Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
Mysterio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comix Guy View Post
Either lower ratios or higher ratios that nobody cares about. For the most part.
That's what I thought. This year, I've decided to try and steer clear of most variants unless it's 1) By an artist I REALLY like, 2) A character I really like, or 3) A book I can get super cheap then flip for a crazy profit. I have two longboxes of variants that I've amassed over the past 2-3 years. Enough is enough. I dabbled in it for a while and now I'm over it.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #14
pjray55

I do not chase the variants and the amount of moderns I buy for reading is greatly reduced so take this for what its worth as I don't have a dog in the fight and $0 of my money goes towards variants for a long time now.

If they are printing extra for these smaller ratios (1:10, 1:1 books) I expect they are printing extra for everything. Do some people really think they would say "hey let's print more variants than we might need but only for the stuff that no one will ever want". I bet more gets printed across the board.

When ordering in smaller quantities it often costs next to nothing to increase the run 10 fold or by x increments and dollars to donuts they do that. Those books go somewhere even though they may never get listed for sale like this at Diamond.
pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #15
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjray55 View Post
I do not chase the variants and the amount of moderns I buy for reading is greatly reduced so take this for what its worth as I don't have a dog in the fight and $0 of my money goes towards variants for a long time now.

If they are printing extra for these smaller ratios (1:10, 1:1 books) I expect they are printing extra for everything. Do some people really think they would say "hey let's print more variants than we might need but only for the stuff that no one will ever want". I bet more gets printed across the board.

When ordering in smaller quantities it often costs next to nothing to increase the run 10 fold or by x increments and dollars to donuts they do that. Those books go somewhere even though they may never get listed for sale like this at Diamond.
I don't think it is that they are printing extras. I think it is that they print 1 copy for every 10 copies of the base issue (or 20 or 100 or whatever the ratio is), but plenty of stores order 15 or 25 copies, so at the end of the day you are left with copies nobody qualified for.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #16
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
That's what I thought. This year, I've decided to try and steer clear of most variants unless it's 1) By an artist I REALLY like, 2) A character I really like, or 3) A book I can get super cheap then flip for a crazy profit. I have two longboxes of variants that I've amassed over the past 2-3 years. Enough is enough. I dabbled in it for a while and now I'm over it.
So I collect Carnage and a couple of the issues from the current run had incentive variants. I didn't order any of them, but if I can find them cheap enough I would definitely add them to my collection just for completeness.

I assume there is zero investment potential, because at the end of the day if these variants were in high demand this wouldn't be happening.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #17
pjray55

Quote:
I don't think it is that they are printing extras. I think it is that they print 1 copy for every 10 copies of the base issue (or 20 or 100 or whatever the ratio is), but plenty of stores order 15 or 25 copies, so at the end of the day you are left with copies nobody qualified for.
I don't know and am only guessing but I tend to disagree. I feel like they print extras.

If it was the case of not qualifying I think that diamond list would be littered with higher ratio variants like 1:100 and 1:200 where it really took a lot for a shop to qualify and not 1:10 variants that are afterthoughts.

These how high ratio books always seem to find their way out at retailer summits as well.

Again, I don't have a dog in the fight and this doesn't impact me and just my 2 cents.
pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #18
Speed Racer

Not a big surprise that Marvel has a ton of variants that went unsold, the retailers I know have grown tired of Marvel's way of getting variants. Order x amount copies of x book but must exceed x % of an earlier title, etc etc. They simply don't want to deal with it is what they have told me.
Speed Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #19
cmixer

What are the rarest, most desirable variants that could hit the market again. First appearance of silk?
cmixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #20
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjray55 View Post
I don't know and am only guessing but I tend to disagree. I feel like they print extras.

If it was the case of not qualifying I think that diamond list would be littered with higher ratio variants like 1:100 and 1:200 where it really took a lot for a shop to qualify and not 1:10 variants that are afterthoughts.

These how high ratio books always seem to find their way out at retailer summits as well.

Again, I don't have a dog in the fight and this doesn't impact me and just my 2 cents.
Here is why i disagree with that thought process -
1) If its an efficiency thing, there should be more 1:100 and 1:200 variants, as it would make the most sense to print more of them. Just making number up here, but if you are printing 20/minute, and you run and extra 2 minutes. Having 40 extra 1:100 or 1:200 variants is going to be much more noticeable than 1:10 or 1:20 variants. The same overage is going to be a much higher percent on a shorter printing.
2) If you think they are intentionally printing extras as incentives or something, it would also make the most sense to do the shorter printed variants.
3) 1:100 and 1:200 and even 1:50 variants are pretty rare and typically only on very popular books. They tend to be big ticket items, and a lot of stores probably adjust their orders to qualify. 1:10 and 1:20 variants, on the other hand, are on tons of books every week. They aren't very valuable to stores if there isn't a high demand for them, so they aren't ordering 5 extra books to qualify.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #21
bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
Not a big surprise that Marvel has a ton of variants that went unsold, the retailers I know have grown tired of Marvel's way of getting variants. Order x amount copies of x book but must exceed x % of an earlier title, etc etc. They simply don't want to deal with it is what they have told me.
This is it exactly. My LCS of choice does not get too many Skottie, hip hop, or action figure variants because of this craziness (e.g. the coming Elektra, Kingpin, and Bullseye are all tied to a previous Daredevil issue, my LCS needs 48 regular copies of these to qualify - and the Chechetto connecting are in there as well). I may look into getting some hip hop on the cheap to make some sets.
bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #22
siro123

None of those variants listed are in high demand unless i missed one.
So i dont see the variant market crashing because of this.
siro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #23
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird View Post
This is it exactly. My LCS of choice does not get too many Skottie, hip hop, or action figure variants because of this craziness (e.g. the coming Elektra, Kingpin, and Bullseye are all tied to a previous Daredevil issue, my LCS needs 48 regular copies of these to qualify - and the Chechetto connecting are in there as well). I may look into getting some hip hop on the cheap to make some sets.
This is the kind of crap the card companies do. It's infuriating to shop owners and I know my shop has been getting fewer variants for these reasons.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 AM   #24
vitomagneto

I like books with no variants just a regular cover with a low print run !!!!
vitomagneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #25
Comix Guy

Quote:
Here is why i disagree with that thought process -
1) If its an efficiency thing, there should be more 1:100 and 1:200 variants, as it would make the most sense to print more of them. Just making number up here, but if you are printing 20/minute, and you run and extra 2 minutes. Having 40 extra 1:100 or 1:200 variants is going to be much more noticeable than 1:10 or 1:20 variants. The same overage is going to be a much higher percent on a shorter printing.
2) If you think they are intentionally printing extras as incentives or something, it would also make the most sense to do the shorter printed variants.
3) 1:100 and 1:200 and even 1:50 variants are pretty rare and typically only on very popular books. They tend to be big ticket items, and a lot of stores probably adjust their orders to qualify. 1:10 and 1:20 variants, on the other hand, are on tons of books every week. They aren't very valuable to stores if there isn't a high demand for them, so they aren't ordering 5 extra books to qualify.
You are correct to point. They are always going to print more than they have orders for because of damages that need replaced.
Also, as sometimes people report incorrectly, they are not going to print 683 copies. It is more efficient for the printed to print a case of a comic than to stop it mid run. So they print in rounds of 200-250 depending on case size.
Comix Guy is offline   Reply With Quote