Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Mad

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 10-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
trask7

Default LCS etiquette

So I was at shop today and when looking through long boxes I picked out a couple of Flash New 52 #1, no price tag just bagged. All of the long boxes had 90 plus percent of the comics priced. They had several copies of New mutants 87 for $15 so new variants were priced and older comics.

When I went to pay he said that those are not marked and they should be at least $10 each. I passed on them but how do most of the shops were you are at operate? It was not about the money, but in Texas where I lived if they were not priced they were cover price.

Thanks junkies.
trask7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Starman

I would have put the Flash back and bought every NM 87.
Starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
trask7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman View Post
I would have put the Flash back and bought every NM 87.
2nd print
Old 10-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #4
poppincurbs

My main LCS has long boxes marked $1/$2/$3 for lower end stuff. For higher stuff there are some more long boxes where they are individually priced. (Both in alphabetical order)

My other LCS just has them bagged in long boxes in alphabetical order, and if you want one they look up the price in some comic guide they pull out. It's a pain, and I never go there because of this. Cannot stress how important it is to have stuff PRICED, people do not like having to ask how much stuff is (or wait for you to look through some little outdated book).
Old 10-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppincurbs View Post
My main LCS has long boxes marked $1/$2/$3 for lower end stuff. For higher stuff there are some more long boxes where they are individually priced. (Both in alphabetical order)

My other LCS just has them bagged in long boxes in alphabetical order, and if you want one they look up the price in some comic guide they pull out. It's a pain, and I never go there because of this. Cannot stress how important it is to have stuff PRICED, people do not like having to ask how much stuff is (or wait for you to look through some little outdated book).
Priced stuff is great for buyers but not great for the store. If a book goes up in value, they have to know they have it and go through boxes to find it to change the price. Not sayibg it's right or wrong, just pointing out that there are 2 sides to every story. Dame if a book cools down, the marked price is to high and it just sits forever.

On the flash books, it's annoying to have priced books and unpriced books mixed together, but it sounds like those might just have been missed and everybody makes mistakes. We aren't talking about walmart or target here, we are talking about a local shop that's probably family run or has just a couple of employees.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
DigsUT

IMO, if you have an item out for sale, it should be priced. Not having it priced is bad customer service. Having a lot of inventory to keep track of is not an excuse. If you cant keep track of it all, that is on you, not the consumer. Take it off the floor till you can research and price correctly.

There are many options out there that can help a LCS stay organized. Take the time to keep an updated inventory. That way, you have a better chance of figuring out if you have a hot book or not to pull it. Dont just buy a collection and toss it out in your store willy nilly, just to have a customer ask for pricing, that is lazy. Do your due diligence, sort and price the collection, add it to your inventory and put it out properly.

Now, I know you cant completely keep a comic shop organized. That being said, as a store owner, you can at least make an effort to keep things priced and somewhat easy to locate for your customers.
D'Onta Foreman HOOK'EM!
DigsUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
yanksfan0134

I'm new to the hobby and made my first mistake today. I called up a shop to see if they had the Kid Lobotomy #1 Gold Print Variant. The answer was yes, and the owner said he would put it on hold for me. I went to go pick it up not even 20 minutes later and he told me he had to get $20 for it because they're exploding on eBay. Had I not called, I would have been able to get it for cover price. I guess I learned a lesson and have just keep to myself when looking for something like that. I ended up passing on it just because of principle.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
Spider-Fan

@Digs thats great in an ideal world. How often do you go to a convention where wall books are priced? Id say less than 1 out of 5 vendors or so. In a market where FMV can fluctuate pretty frequently, you're asking a lot.

@Yanks personally I don't support shops that jack up prices on current issues because they are hot on eBay. To me, that is poor service to their customers
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
yanksfan0134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
@Digs thats great in an ideal world. How often do you go to a convention where wall books are priced? Id say less than 1 out of 5 vendors or so. In a market where FMV can fluctuate pretty frequently, you're asking a lot.

@Yanks personally I don't support shops that jack up prices on current issues because they are hot on eBay. To me, that is poor service to their customers
Yeah, it's safe to say I won't be going to his shop again. That put a really sour taste in my mouth.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
trask7

It is good to see a lot of different views. The shop I went to is not to big and is very unorganized in my opinion, so I can see some price not marked. His prices were too high on variants. Doc Aphra 1 retail sketch $60, TWD 150 sketch $150. I just enjoy going through boxes looking at past books.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #11
DigsUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post

Most, if not all of the reputable comic vendors at the shows in TX, have their wall books priced. I can think of a few that dont and they are the ones who dont even bother to put keys in a new bag and board.

If it is your business and you want to maximize your profits, you take the time to do your research and price accordingly.
D'Onta Foreman HOOK'EM!
DigsUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #12
siro123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsUT View Post
IMO, if you have an item out for sale, it should be priced. Not having it priced is bad customer service. Having a lot of inventory to keep track of is not an excuse. If you cant keep track of it all, that is on you, not the consumer. Take it off the floor till you can research and price correctly.

There are many options out there that can help a LCS stay organized. Take the time to keep an updated inventory. That way, you have a better chance of figuring out if you have a hot book or not to pull it. Dont just buy a collection and toss it out in your store willy nilly, just to have a customer ask for pricing, that is lazy. Do your due diligence, sort and price the collection, add it to your inventory and put it out properly.

Now, I know you cant completely keep a comic shop organized. That being said, as a store owner, you can at least make an effort to keep things priced and somewhat easy to locate for your customers.
I agree with you 100%
siro123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #13
Stat Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan0134 View Post
I'm new to the hobby and made my first mistake today. I called up a shop to see if they had the Kid Lobotomy #1 Gold Print Variant. The answer was yes, and the owner said he would put it on hold for me. I went to go pick it up not even 20 minutes later and he told me he had to get $20 for it because they're exploding on eBay. Had I not called, I would have been able to get it for cover price. I guess I learned a lesson and have just keep to myself when looking for something like that. I ended up passing on it just because of principle.
That is poor customer service what we call "short term greedy" vs "long term greedy" where the owner potentially tried to squeeze $15 or so more dollars out of you all while risking what could have been a long term relationship.

What I would have said was... I'll pass on this, in a few weeks after the initial hype I'm hoping the price will go down. I'd also tell him "I'm disappointed you feel you have to get $20 for it after I called less than a half hour ago and you said you'd hold it for me"

Under no circumstance would I have bought it from him, regardless of how much I wanted it or how much it was going for on eBay.

I'd probably also write a Yelp review on the experience.

I'd relish in the fact that the owner might incur a loss of business as a direct result of that one greedy gesture.

A smart comic shop owner would say, upon your arrival "I held this for you, even though we've been getting a few calls about the book and are re-pricing them at $20, but I'm going to honor the cover price pricing for you of course."

You'd then at least walk away feeling treated fairly if not special. You'd probably go back to this LCS.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:49 PM   #14
yanksfan0134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post
That is poor customer service what we call "short term greedy" vs "long term greedy" where the owner potentially tried to squeeze $15 or so more dollars out of you all while risking what could have been a long term relationship.

What I would have said was... I'll pass on this, in a few weeks after the initial hype I'm hoping the price will go down. I'd also tell him "I'm disappointed you feel you have to get $20 for it after I called less than a half hour ago and you said you'd hold it for me"

Under no circumstance would I have bought it from him, regardless of how much I wanted it or how much it was going for on eBay.

I'd probably also write a Yelp review on the experience.

I'd relish in the fact that the owner might incur a loss of business as a direct result of that one greedy gesture.

A smart comic shop owner would say, upon your arrival "I held this for you, even though we've been getting a few calls about the book and are re-pricing them at $20, but I'm going to honor the cover price pricing for you of course."

You'd then at least walk away feeling treated fairly if not special. You'd probably go back to this LCS.
Yeah, I really donít think Iíll ever go back. Iím new to the hobby and would have loved to find a comic shop that I can go to religiously, but it looks like iím going to have to find another one (which are few and far between in my area).

I wasnít sure if a bad Yelp review was warranted, but now I want to. Iím really bitter about the situation and wish I handled it a little differently in hindsight. Just a real douche move by the owner.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #15
Mysterio

Quote:
Anytime I call a store asking for a book, I ask them what it's priced at. There are advantages and disadvantages to that (save time looking for books, knowing they have it vs. tipping them off that they might have a "hot" book). I have the advantage of being able to say "I'm 45 minutes away so I want to make sure you have the book at that price when I get there." Next time try that. Tell them it'll take you some time to get there and ask how much the book is. Then lock them into that price. If they change it when you get there, rip them on social media.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #16
Rip67vdub

There are 2 types of shops I've encountered:

1. Shops that play the spec game. Find a hot book in a back issue bin and bam, "Let me check EBay for a second".

2. Shops that honor their mistake. Find a hot book in a back issue bin and bam, "Nice find. That book is now worth $$$. Oh well". Or, "How did this book end up there? Oh well."
2017-2018 NBA World Champions Golden State Warriors
Rip67vdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:15 AM   #17
Stat Monsters

Quote:

I wasnít sure if a bad Yelp review was warranted, but now I want to. Iím really bitter about the situation and wish I handled it a little differently in hindsight. Just a real douche move by the owner.
Since you're not going to go back to the store, you should give them an honest review telling your experience on Yelp.

It'll give you peace of mind and hopefully help the greater community as a whole to be wary and possibly even help the business owner see the error in his business ethics (or lack-there-of).

I'd love to see the review, so if you decide to do it, post up a link to the store's Yelp review business page.

I think you are very much justified in feeling like you were treated unfairly and a victim of a greedy retailer who saw there was a demand to his supply and decided to take advantage of who he saw as a hungry buyer willing to bend over for him.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #18
SlackerBoy9

My lcs now before opening on Wednesday checks spec sites for what’s hot and pulls all those books and lists them on eBay before the store opens . If there is a variant that is a 1:10 ..etc, he will never even put it on the wall for customers to buy and then with the Artgerm supergirl covers they all ended up on eBay . Kind of sucks but it’s the only lcs where I live
SlackerBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #19
Stat Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBoy9 View Post
My lcs now before opening on Wednesday checks spec sites for whatís hot and pulls all those books and lists them on eBay before the store opens . If there is a variant that is a 1:10 ..etc, he will never even put it on the wall for customers to buy and then with the Artgerm supergirl covers they all ended up on eBay . Kind of sucks but itís the only lcs where I live
It's a slippery slope in many ways where I do have compassion for LCS having to compete with online retailers as well as entrepreneurial flippers, both of whom may get to "cherry pick" inventory they get, serving as a middle layer from publisher to wholesaler to retailer to them to the eventual customer.

Every LCS has a lot of overhead of rent, utilities, employee wages, business taxes, business licenses, business insurance, and other fees & expenses. Plus, many have to carry a lot of inventory and then tie up their assets in inventory they may get stuck with. Factor in those 1:100 variants typically necessitates a purchase of 100 of the "common" version which maybe not so many people want, they inherently may have to charge more for the 1:100 variant to recoup their costs and make a profit to not only keep the lights on, but to put food on their own tables.

So, I don't get too mad at any LCS who marks up variants to FMV (fair market value) or even a tad more for convenience (I'd rather pay more from a LCS than roll the dice on eBay factoring in shipping and potential damages incurred as well as the ability at the LCS to truly inspect the merchandise).

I think the strongest most successful shops and retailers also treat their VIP prestige customers who have mega-pull lists and spend tons of money a lot better than those who just walk through the door, even affording them the more rare variants at discounts as a reward for being a preferred customer who continually supports the shop. The LCS who gauges the prices ends up getting stuck with inventory that diminishes in value and cools off in popularity heat, eventually failing, holding dying inventory. Most variants are about the quick flip, step in and step out with profits. Once in a while there's a comic that escalates and continues to rise, but if you look at the overall total population of every single variant, you'll find most die off in value and demand quite a bit from their initial peaks.

What I think is wrong is when a LCS does what they did to the original poster of this thread, which is wrong. It could have been remedied by the LCS either disclaiming the marked up price up front or biting the bullet and selling that book at the SRP cover price.