Blowout Cards Forums
2018 community chest

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 05-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
Mysterio

Default CGC Debacle

I'm really surprised the discussion on CGC holders hasn't bled into this group. Issues abound! What are everyone's thoughts?

Here's the discussion for reference
Mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
pjray55

I have had two subs come back with the new holders and of the 18 graded I have 3 or 4 with varying degrees of "waves" (all silver and bronze age).

I have been told too send them back to fix the problem on their dime. I have been going back and forth on whether that was a good idea or not.
pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
LBSB333

I haven't purchased any books with the new holder, but I did see this over the weekend on the CBCS Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/CBCScomics/...06405652958606
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
digitalbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSB333 View Post
I haven't purchased any books with the new holder, but I did see this over the weekend on the CBCS Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/CBCScomics/...06405652958606
Hmm, this is pretty interesting. I only have 1 CBCS book, but I'm thinking about heading their way more often.
digitalbc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
Vashalu

I think there was a mini discussion going on in another thread but I don't remember which one off-hand. Anyway, I have received 8 (modern) books in the new holder and have noticed some minor issues with a couple.

The color rub is the big one and I think I spotted a bit on one book in particular. Right around the staples on the rear side of the book. Probably related to the issues brought up in that Facebook post LBSB333 posted above. But this may be an issue of cheap paper quality on Marvel's part mixed with the whole added pressure seal part.

I'll snap some pics when I get home this evening and post for all to see and discuss.

More to come...
Vashalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
Donkaylove

Bummer--i just got into graded books. With the new cheaper paper/inks--it will be a problem. Dark covers will not prosper. Older books are thicker--more pressure maybe? I would hate to see ink transfer on a signature book or color loss on an older key. Ouch! Interesting, to see the outcome.....

The hordes are rebelling and cbcs is having a sale--ha. Fun times.
Donkaylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
IndySportsCards

I've not noticed anything yet, but haven't superficially been looking for these issues. I've got over 100 books coming in house in the next week or so and I'll be looking at them closely.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
speez22

Only have one with the new case. "Oily" look is noticeable but that was the only major thing I noticed. Starting to get a bit worried after seeing that spine rub in the OP. That is AWFUL.

Especially sucks since I was hoping to get Campbell to sign some books for me this weekend in Dallas, but I'm not so sure I want to take my chances with this new case.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
Mysterio

Quote:
Originally Posted by speez22 View Post
Only have one with the new case. "Oily" look is noticeable but that was the only major thing I noticed. Starting to get a bit worried after seeing that spine rub in the OP. That is AWFUL.

Especially sucks since I was hoping to get Campbell to sign some books for me this weekend in Dallas, but I'm not so sure I want to take my chances with this new case.
CBCS should be there, if you wanted to go that route.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
rokstarr99

Does CBCS offer pressing? I'm planning on getting a whole stack of books signed in San Diego. Was going to have them go to CCS for pressing before grading.
rokstarr99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
speez22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
CBCS should be there, if you wanted to go that route.
I've always wondered: is there a difference in price (more specifically, what the market PAYS) between CGC and CBCS? I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that CGC held a bit more value, but that very well could have been my imagination.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
Mysterio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokstarr99 View Post
Does CBCS offer pressing? I'm planning on getting a whole stack of books signed in San Diego. Was going to have them go to CCS for pressing before grading.
This is their "official" pressing company. If you have the time, I would send them into Indy and have him do it. He does great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speez22 View Post
I've always wondered: is there a difference in price (more specifically, what the market PAYS) between CGC and CBCS? I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that CGC held a bit more value, but that very well could have been my imagination.
I did a cost comparison a few weeks ago on a copy of Harbinger #1 from the 90s. There was a significant difference between the two (about $100) but I think that gap is closing. If CGC continues to ignore this problem and CBCS steps up to the plate, we're going to see no difference very soon, IMO. Many people will say, if it's for your PC, use CBCS. If you're looking to sell, use CGC. But with the current state of their holders, I can't recommend that right now.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #13
aaron568

yeah when i was at megacon this past weekend there were a few dealers talking about the issues with the new cgc case i only grade through cbcs myself since i am a cbcs dealer and i know the gap in the price for now but i think it will soon be equal and people will realize there both the same in value and i can tell you now people that were selling both cgc and cbcs books still use gpa to price them the same value (also they would not take any less for cbcs books) i know some sales on ebay my have cbcs lower for now but that will change soon i hope
aaron568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #14
Mysterio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron568 View Post
yeah when i was at megacon this past weekend there were a few dealers talking about the issues with the new cgc case i only grade through cbcs myself since i am a cbcs dealer and i know the gap in the price for now but i think it will soon be equal and people will realize there both the same in value and i can tell you now people that were selling both cgc and cbcs books still use gpa to price them the same value (also they would not take any less for cbcs books) i know some sales on ebay my have cbcs lower for now but that will change soon i hope
That's some good 'in the trenches' info! I like hearing about real-world sales and not eBay sales. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #15
rokstarr99

[QUOTE=Mysterio;10958530]This is their "official" pressing company. If you have the time, I would send them into Indy and have him do it. He does great work!

That was my original plan, but he suggested having them pressed after the signing due to damage that may occur during signings. And I believe they have to go straight from the signing to grading.
rokstarr99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #16
Mysterio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokstarr99 View Post
That was my original plan, but he suggested having them pressed after the signing due to damage that may occur during signings. And I believe they have to go straight from the signing to grading.
Ah yes, the post-signing press. So CFP would be the way to go if you're doing CBCS.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:11 PM   #17
pjray55

The problem is tough to show on a scan or in pictures because of the glare but you can see the waves at the top of the book on my DC Comics presents #26 graded 9.6

pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
bird

I was going to sub at cgc onsite thursday but will not do so now. They raised prices for onsite $5 to $30 a book as well. So forget that. I will hold off on subbing to cgc for a while and will consider cbcs, which I had not expected to be willing to do. I still may not, but I certainly AM NOT going to sub cgc until the 3 keys I have there now come back so i can see for myself what is what.
bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #19
Shi Guy

Ouch PJ, I'm sorry to see that.

Collecting

Cards: Russell Wilson, Joe Montana, Steve Largent & Ichiro
Comics: Catwoman, Katana, Starfire & Domino
Shi Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:31 PM   #20
Donkaylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjray55 View Post
the problem is tough to show on a scan or in pictures because of the glare but you can see the waves at the top of the book on my dc comics presents #26 graded 9.6

y-i think i recently saw a graded tos that was wavy like that. I couldnt be sure if it was the elements or encasing.
Donkaylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:31 PM   #21
jdandns

Troubling information here, and it really has me thinking.
I may yet jump on the CGC bandwagon or I may instead take all the fees I'd have been charged for "slabbing" and use them instead to buy black Sharpies I will then use to "mark" the grade I think each comic should receive directly on the cover of each of my key issues, thereby bypassing CGC altogether.
Exciting times, I see a lot of 9.8s in my future (maybe even a 9.9 or two!).
jdandns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #22
bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
Troubling information here, and it really has me thinking.
I may yet jump on the CGC bandwagon or I may instead take all the fees I'd have been charged for "slabbing" and use them instead to buy black Sharpies I will then use to "mark" the grade I think each comic should receive directly on the cover of each of my key issues, thereby bypassing CGC altogether.
Exciting times, I see a lot of 9.8s in my future (maybe even a 9.9 or two!).
You win!
bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #23
Shi Guy

Ugh, now I'm seriously reconsidering the 3 Cambell Harley's Little Black Books I just sent to Indy for pressing and submission. I had planned to flip 2 of them and I'm wondering if all of this will affect the values. It seems more likely that we will see an uptick in CBCS value before we get any legitimate response from CGC.

Collecting

Cards: Russell Wilson, Joe Montana, Steve Largent & Ichiro
Comics: Catwoman, Katana, Starfire & Domino
Shi Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #24
aaron568

I feel it will be a long time before cgc does anything about it if they even do
aaron568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 PM   #25
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
That's some good 'in the trenches' info! I like hearing about real-world sales and not eBay sales. Thanks!
Ebay is the real world. When I ask a dealer for a price on an unpriced wall book, they always run an eBay search...
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote