Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 100

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback & Hobby Scams

Notices

Member Sales/Trade Feedback & Hobby Scams Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

Old 04-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
SugarShane
Banned

Default Help and advice needed - High-end trade gone wrong

**(Not looking to make this user's name public until we get somethings figured out)**

Hey guys, I have an issue that I need some advice on and was wondering if I could obtain some help. I recently made a high-end trade with a member on this site. This deal was struck on Friday 4/5, so we both mailed out on Saturday. We both agreed that we would use USPS, DC & Insurance. So, my guess is that he mailed early Saturday morning as for myself I was unable to mail until late the same day. We both agreed on updating each-other with the tracking number so we can each follow our package. So on Monday, I receive a PM from this member with a tracking number. The number he gives me shows up on the USPS site as INVALID. So right away my first thought is, being that this member has 0 feedback, "I was just scammed".

I send this user a message stating that the number was invalid. I check back online here and there throughout the day. I notice the user is active and online but not responding to my "PM'S". So the next morning comes around and the first thing I do is go to my local P.O., where my end of the package was mailed from and asked if it could be recalled, he stated, "yes". I asked him to do so, I had to fill out some papers and pay a small fee. He then told me it should be back by Wed 4/10.

Later on that night, after I re-called the package, I get a message back from this user stating that he mixed up tracking numbers and gives me a new number. This number is indeed correct and valid. So not only do I feel stupid for maybe getting too paranoid about the trade, thinking not everyone is near there computer 24/7 but that maybe is was just a honest mistake. I message the user and i'm 100% honest with him then explain that I recalled my package because I felt something fishy was going on. (INVALID shipping number, being online and not responding) I then told him I will re-send my package once I get it back, he understood why I did what I did and stated that it wasn't a big deal.

Tuesday 4/9 comes around, I get home from work and I receive a pick up slip in the mail for his end of the trade. There was nobody home so the package was brought to the P.O.. So, the next day I go to the P.O. to pick up his package and also to check if my package was mailed back so I could send it out. Luckily it was on the truck being returned to my house. So I go home, sit down and go to check out my new cards. I notice that the package looks like the floor was wiped with it, partially open with tape covering the ripped open part. I open up the package and "BOOM", two empty one-touches.

Luckily my re-called package was on the truck and wasn't at the P.O. because I would of mailed it out to him, thinking that the contents of the package were what they were supposed to be. Maybe I should be thankful that he screwed up on the tracking number or else I would of never gotten nervious and had my package re-called.

Now here's the thing, i'm not blaming the member for this but I would just like to know some opinions on what could of happen and what I should do. Also, here are a few things that I would like to add so you can fully understand where my mindset is at.

*User gave me Invalid tracking number. Not for a different address but INVALID.

*The last name that he gave me was different then the last name on the package he mailed to me.

*The address that he gave me to mail his stuff to and the address on the package were also different.

*This user lives in NYC, I told him that I wouldn't mind meeting him in a public place, maybe a card shop to meet and do the trade. He declined to do so. This was one of the options of how to complete the trade because he does have 0 feedback and we were dealing with a high-end trade. I also mentioned that we could use a MOD as a middle man or a trusted member with 100+ feedback as a middle man, he also declined and stated that we could just send to each-other.

Like I said, I would appreciate it if someone could push me in the right direction on what to do and who to contact. Maybe the username of a Mod, just so they know what is going on and have it documented. I will also be contacting my post-master tomorrow morning and will bring this to his attention. After everything is said and done, I still have my card but i'm out over $25 for shipping, dc, insurance and re-calling my package.

Thanks for your help,
Shane

Last edited by SugarShane; 04-11-2013 at 02:07 AM.
SugarShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
DannyShakes

Sounds like the guy was trying to pull a fast one. 0 feedback should send first on a HIGHEND trade. Simple fact. As for the trader he should file a police report and file an insurance claim IF he did in fact ship the 2 cards.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
SugarShane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShakespeare View Post
Sounds like the guy was trying to pull a fast one. 0 feedback should send first on a HIGHEND trade. Simple fact. As for the trader he should file a police report and file an insurance claim IF he did in fact ship the 2 cards.
I also just added something that I just noticed. The address he gave me to ship my end to are different then the address that was on the package. I appreciate your input, but what's to say that he didn't mail the cards but try's to act like he did?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
lagalaxyfan23
Inactive Account

Contact iluvfish2 about this.

Although I haven't heard the other side of the story, it appears that this member was trying to rip you off in my opinion. Given that both of you have a small number of feedback on this site, I would highly suggest in the future that you REQUIRE that both parties send their packages to a middleman if the member you are dealing with has less than 20 feedback. If you need the usernames of any reliable, trustworthy members who would be willing to act as a middleman, feel free to PM me!

It also seems like the member provided you with two different addresses for shipping. Sounds exceedingly fishy to me. I moved into a new house in September, and all my mail from my previous address is forwarded to my current address. I wonder (hypothetically, of course ), how easy it would be to rip someone off by telling them to send to my previous address and have it be automatically forwarded to my current address. I think the member in question here may have tried just that.

However, I think knowing the member's username would be very helpful to raise public awareness about this situation. Perhaps this individual may be a previously banned member or have a bad history. That will be up for the BO Detectives to decide if you provide his username

Last edited by lagalaxyfan23; 04-11-2013 at 02:17 AM.
lagalaxyfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
SugarShane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagalaxyfan23 View Post
Contact iluvfish2 about this.

Although I haven't heard the other side of the story, it appears that this member was trying to rip you off in my opinion. Given that both of you have a small number of feedback on this site, I would highly suggest in the future that you REQUIRE that both parties send their packages to a middleman if the member you are dealing with has less than 20 feedback. If you need the usernames of any reliable, trustworthy members who would be willing to act as a middleman, feel free to PM me!

It also seems like the member provided you with two different addresses for shipping. Sounds exceedingly fishy to me. I moved into a new house in September, and all my mail from my previous address is forwarded to my current address. I wonder (hypothetically, of course ), how easy it would be to rip someone off by telling them to send to my previous address and have it be automatically forwarded to my current address. I think the member in question here may have tried just that.

However, I think knowing the member's username would be very helpful to raise public awareness about this situation. Perhaps this individual may be a previously banned member or have a bad history. That will be up for the BO Detectives to decide if you provide his username
Thanks for your help, I sent iluvfish2 a PM. I will wait to hear what he has to say, as well as the other party involved before making it public. I do appreciate it,
Shane

Last edited by SugarShane; 04-11-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
lagalaxyfan23
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarShane View Post
Thanks for your help, I sent iluvfish2 a PM. I will wait to hear what he has to say, as well as the other party involved before making it public. I do appreciate it,
Shane
Sure man! Good luck! I edited my original post. Just a theory:

It also seems like the member provided you with two different addresses for shipping. Sounds exceedingly fishy to me. I moved into a new house in September, and all my mail from my previous address is forwarded to my current address. I wonder (hypothetically, of course ) how easy it would be to rip someone off by telling them to send to my previous address and have it be automatically forwarded to my current address. I think the member in question here may have tried just that.
lagalaxyfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
Branesergen

If he used someone elses paypal account it will default to their address.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
xbignick

What was the date on the package he sent out?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
stripedbass91

Making his username public would be a huge help. Please post it so we can add him to the ignore lists...Or else he may be doing the same thing to someone else right now.
stripedbass91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
jlzinck

Was there any USPS maring on the opened mailer? Was it in a bag or anything?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Orangejello727

You should make the members name public so the rest of us can be on alert for future dealings. With holding the name is useless for the rest of us.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
ManInTheMirror
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
You should make the members name public so the rest of us can be on alert for future dealings. With holding the name is useless for the rest of us.
He said he would share the name after some things were figured out.

Calm down.
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
jmscoggin

I would have the same alarms as the op. Would like to hear the other side as well before a final judgement but I would not feel comfortable dealing with the unnamed person as of now.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
Orangejello727

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
He said he would share the name after some things were figured out.

Calm down.
He should have thought about that prior to making the thread. If he didnt know what he was doing, then wait. Why make a thread about something you are not sure about?

Its like me going and making a thread "Just sent out 3 cards on a deal, making a thread on a possible call out but dont know yet. Will know more once they recieve the card". or "Im calling out a person for a possible scam. I cant tell you who it is, but Im calling them out"

Just too many of those cluttering up the boards.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
MetDude

Quote:
He should have thought about that prior to making the thread. If he didnt know what he was doing, then wait. Why make a thread about something you are not sure about?

Its like me going and making a thread "Just sent out 3 cards on a deal, making a thread on a possible call out but dont know yet. Will know more once they recieve the card". or "Im calling out a person for a possible scam. I cant tell you who it is, but Im calling them out"

He's asking for advice.
He's new, he wants to know how to proceed. how awful!

Is he not allowed to ask for advice without naming the other party?

If you want to talk about clutter, lets start with your own posts
that so often take things out of context and/or give them a meaning that
was never intended. Like the above.
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
ManInTheMirror
Banned

Quote:

Get off your high horse- the world doesn't revolve around you.

The member was looking for assistance. Either help or move on.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
Orangejello727

High horse? You two guys come running into every thread to trash anyone that does not agree with you. You guys tend to support any buddy buddy whether they do wrong or not.

The only annoying thing I see all day is "Im calling out someone but I cant tell you who".

TO help the OP out, do not trade with people you do not trust. If you cannot figure out whether to trust them or not, use a 3rd party to escrow the trade. Pretty simple.

Last edited by iluvfish2; 04-11-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: removed scumbag comment
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
ManInTheMirror
Banned

Quote:
High horse? You two scumbags come running into every thread to trash anyone that does not agree with you. You guys tend to support any buddy buddy whether they do wrong or not.

The only annoying thing I see all day is "Im calling out someone but I cant tell you who".
I am not seeing any truth at all in this post. But nice try.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
Orangejello727

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
I am not seeing any truth at all in this post. But nice try.
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/m...emirror-3.html

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/m...94-man-up.html

Like i said..

Op the only advice I can give to a ghost trade is that if you recieved an empty mailer, that you go ahead and contact the trader first and figure things out. Once you have the detail, then you can post about it and proper advice on what you need. Working with a half story in progress and seeking advice does no good. Just complicates things

Last edited by iluvfish2; 04-11-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: no infraction imho - did remove scumbag comment
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
ManInTheMirror
Banned

Nobody is perfect. I never claimed to be.

But if you think I am a scumbag then I don't know what to tell you. Other then you have problems.

But this is regular action from you, very expected. Congrats on being yourself.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #21
DannyShakes

Quote:
High horse? You two scumbags come running into every thread to trash anyone that does not agree with you. You guys tend to support any buddy buddy whether they do wrong or not.

TO help the OP out, do not trade with people you do not trust. If you cannot figure out whether to trust them or not, use a 3rd party to escrow the trade. Pretty simple.
He tried to get a mod or middle man and the guy declined it. Sounds like the guy was pulling a fast one, PayPal address different from the mailing address then he receives the package from a different address but nothing in it? Op should be glad he pulled his package back instead of letting this other guy take him on some high end trade.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
Orangejello727

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShakespeare View Post
He tried to get a mod or middle man and the guy declined it. Sounds like the guy was pulling a fast one, PayPal address different from the mailing address then he receives the package from a different address but nothing in it? Op should be glad he pulled his package back instead of letting this other guy take him on some high end trade.
I think there is more than enough doubt and questionable tactics here to state the name of the member in the trade.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
DannyShakes

Quote:
I think there is more than enough doubt and questionable tactics here to state the name of the member in the trade.
I also agree. The guy sounds very very shady and a name should come out
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #24
MetDude

Quote:

I'm sorry you are unable to have an intelligent civil discussion.

But thats on you. No one else.
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #25
Orangejello727

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetDude View Post
I'm sorry you are unable to have an intelligent civil discussion.

But thats on you. No one else.
Lets get some facts straight here.

Member in question
1. Has 0 feedback
2. Declines a safe trade method in using a mod for escrow
3. Tardy on Shipping details
4. Gives wrong shipping details
5. Possibly sent 2 emtpy holders (waiting to hear a response for jons question on package having USPS yellow tape or not)

I ask for a name and you rather protect the member in question. Yea thats on me. If it turns out that the member is scamming, will you take responsibility for harboring his actions? I guess the 5 pts above leave no doubt in your mind at all coupled with the fact that trader himself is questioning everything now.