Blowout Cards Forums
April Showers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
JWMcComas

Default CGC and pressing...need some insight guys

Ok SO...i have this vengeance of Bane that i posted a pic of here awhile ago...and i am getting ready to send it in for grading. as i am really looking it over i notice there is some indented area on the cover. you can only see it when you hold it up to a light and see the light reflect off the cover. kind of like a person took 6 sheets of paper and laid them on the book and made a squiggly mark. is this what pressing is for? and whom is the go to ppl for pressing? thanks in advance guys!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
IndySportsCards

I've never pressed a book, but Cujobyte here on the BO forums does pressing, he might be able to give us some insight.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Gibberish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMcComas View Post
Ok SO...i have this vengeance of Bane that i posted a pic of here awhile ago...and i am getting ready to send it in for grading. as i am really looking it over i notice there is some indented area on the cover. you can only see it when you hold it up to a light and see the light reflect off the cover. kind of like a person took 6 sheets of paper and laid them on the book and made a squiggly mark. is this what pressing is for? and whom is the go to ppl for pressing? thanks in advance guys!
From what I read pressing will remove those.
However, unless you buy a dry press, I would pay a company to do it.

Classics Incorporated - Marvel, DC, CGC Comics, Pressing, Removal, Pro-screens, Pedigrees, Leaf casting, Leafcasting, comic shows

I have seen the difference between pressed and unpressed and it is amazing.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Gibberish

Your thread motivated me
I have several books that are 3-4 grades lower than they could be because of ripples/water issues.
I have an Xmen #47 that is so vibrant it looks brand new. The down side is it has a massive number of ripples on the front. I had debated on finding a seal press to attempt to practice this technique and if I can refine the process of doing it, actually offer it as a service.
So, I call the "Find it" guy locally and he said he knew exactly what I was after and why as his mother had one she used to press flowers and other such items for a hobby. he said he would see if she still has it and let me use it to practice with and if I am able to get the general concept down,sell it to me cheap
With that in mind, your issue has to be a fairly common one so I intend to take a sheet of paper and press hard and write my name so it presses through and onto the comic and see if it can be resolved this way as well
Been thinking about getting a press for about 2 months now, your post motivated me to give it a go
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
IndySportsCards

Let us know how it works out. I suggest you start on some rubbish books first, like, oh, I don't know... Superboy?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Gibberish

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Let us know how it works out. I suggest you start on some rubbish books first, like, oh, I don't know... Superboy?
Oh
I am going to practice with water only washing using a mister ,to remove water stains as well. I figure since the book is already water damaged, It will be ok if it goes south

I also know that pressing will remove those pen impressions,just depends how much depending on how deep they are. Working on reading up on how to "brace" books with square spines to ensure they don't go flat in the process

The problem is NONE of these guys will share and that's sad.
I can clean MOST pre 1901 sports cards/Non-Sports cards and have always shared how it's done. I guess others would rather make money rather than give someone the option of doing it themselves.
I still get people offering me cards and cash for repair even though I have disclosed how most of it is done. Some people just dont have the stomach or confidence to do it themselves
Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #7
Cujobyte

Yup, I do pressing. And that's Matt's company (Classics Incorporated). I learned from the same guy who taught him.

It's much to late to go into any detail, but pm me if any questions. Good luck learning it on your own Gibberish, yes I'd suggest lot of practice.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
JWMcComas

am i understanding that a simple heat press is what is being used?? the reason i ask...i have access to a very nice pneumatic press and i own a manual press....both are capable of insanely high temps and pressures. though i would think you wouldnt need near what the capabilities are lol
Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Gibberish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMcComas View Post
am i understanding that a simple heat press is what is being used?? the reason i ask...i have access to a very nice pneumatic press and i own a manual press....both are capable of insanely high temps and pressures. though i would think you wouldnt need near what the capabilities are lol

Per what I have red, different problems require different levels of heat and temp
Seems to flatten out a wrinkled book, 185-195 temp and 30lbs pressure.
Your issue would be, and I think it should be obvious, you have a square bound book. So doing the above MAY cause damage or compression. Now this is without knowing WHAT I am talking about in relation to comics,just common sense since the binding is slightly higher than the far side where the pages meet.
I have a pile of cheap comics,stuff I give to kids who stop in and I intend to try varying degrees of pressure and heat on multiple different issues.
Then again, my "Find it guy" has yet to Find me one
Old 08-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Gibberish

Ok
Found out I do NOT have to buy a press
My partner runs a framing shop and...they use those,so I have one Albeit it is a MONSTER. He said he would be able to press comics easily and safely. he did say that some books with severe condition issues could actually be damaged by pressing.
So, I have 6 books that I am going to before/after and see how it goes using his 21 years of framing EXP applied to comics :0
I told him if this was successful we could actually market a service locally and on forums at 10.00/book. I told him most pressing services adjust the rate due to a books age,but if there is no liability issues then there would be no need to scale pricing.
Anyway, will have some examples tomorrow or Tuesday up to see
Old 08-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
IndySportsCards

That's exciting news Gibberish. Looking forward to seeing/hearing about the results
Old 08-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Gibberish

Yah, he already explained a few things to me.
Said there is a type of paper called Archival/Transfer that has to be on top and bottom. Says nothing will stick to it,so it is best. Also said have to press both sides and then apply pressure once it is done, at room temp. I am excited myself as well
Old 08-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
Gibberish

2 books i will be trying
1 has minor damage and the difference in grade would be .2-.5 IMO

Minor spine crease and minor ripple at the staple

MAJOR issues on this one
It was water logged which, IMO, actually helped preserve the book since I am assuming it was tossed in a book after drying. The color is bordering on new/mint but the ripples still remain

Spine shows minor stress and there is minor water stains visible in on the tops of the letters in X-Men. As it sits it's a 5. I will press it and hope it would be closer to a 7 and then I am going to try a processes using water only to remove the stains then repress it. If the stains go away,after repressing, I think the book would be an 8-8.5
Anyway,this should be fun !
Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
IndySportsCards

Here are some examples from a guy who has been posting of his restoration and pressing work
Old 08-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
Gibberish

Saw those a few weeks back,they are from years ago.

The issues are no one wants to talk about techniques. It's all HUSH HUSH
Sour dough bread,Rice paste,heat seal paper,etc. they just show you pics and try to keep it a mystery
The logic behind it is silly. It is predisposed to assume everyone else is a crook and will restore and destroy the market.

My 1st go at pressing was educational
Needless to say that some newer books cannot be pressed with the staples in the book due to the metal heating up and pulling ink off of the pages....C'est la vie Poyo SDCC signed variant

I was able to remove all ripples from the Xmen book....and then after cold weight cooling...new one's popped up. I am assuming these were caused by inaccurate temperate and pressure. left Oliver with a few ideas and will check them on Tuesday.

I am willing to consider staple removal to remove spine stress on newer books as that has to be the only way to remove stress creases on those Image titles with the staple issue I noticed today. I thought at 1st lowering the temp may do it, but then common sense kicked in,the pressure was part of the factor as well and reducing both would show little to no improvement.

Anyway, blindly I go, a learning process with a nasty curve,but onward I do go
Old 08-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
Gibberish

BTW
found Erasers for sell on ebay with the following image as to show what Archival erasers can do

That explains entry level dry cleaning.
Not really keen on wiping a comic with Bread though :P
Also with the erasers, you have to wear gloves evidently or your oils can leech into the eraser...which is bad I assume
Old 08-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #17
Cujobyte

Here's one of the books I pressed, was formerly 9.2ish at best. I've pressed for others, but rarely have time to do it lately. Good luck gib in your learnings tho!! Just use cheapy books lol.

Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Gibberish

Still trying to figure out how to press the newer books without the staple doing damage to the inside of the book