Blowout Cards Forums
pokemon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
NeilCO

Default Can we please talk about the career of future Hall of Famer Gorgui Dieng?

I actually feel a lot better about Gorgui's future than this writer, but he is right on about how great Gorgui has been to this point and how little respect he has gotten. I even think Sam Mitchell undervalues Gorgui a great deal, as he continues to sit him during crucial stretches despite Gorgui being great in the fourth, and has only really given him an opportunity since KG and Pek both went down. He even signed Greg Smith to cut into Gorgui's minutes!

Anyways, I enjoyed this: Gorgui Dieng is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NBA

Any other big fans of the greatest basketball player Senegal has ever produced?

Or do. I'll be around.

Last edited by NeilCO; 03-17-2016 at 07:28 PM.
NeilCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
NeilCO

Only two players in the NBA average (if you round up to nearest tenth) at least 10 points, 7 rebounds, 1 steal, and 1 block while shooting over 80% FT.

Kevin Durant and Gorgui Dieng.

H/T: @SethDaSportsMan on Twitter

Or do. I'll be around.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
realreodeal

Wow 10 points and 7 boards. That's a great accomplishment.

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/realreodeal/
realreodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
NeilCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by realreodeal View Post
Wow 10 points and 7 boards. That's a great accomplishment.
Yup. Steph Curry only averages 5.3 boards.

Or do. I'll be around.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
WillC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCO View Post
He even signed Greg Smith to cut into Gorgui's minutes!
He signed Greg Smith because otherwise the Wolves' only backup big man is Adreian Payne (since KG and Pekovic are injured). I don't know about you, but I shudder to think what would happen when Towns and Dieng go to the bench if Payne is the only big man left on the court.

Dieng has been great at times this season. He's a surprisingly good passer and shooter. In fact, he doesn't have any big weaknesses in his game. It's amazing how much he's improved since his rookie season.

Do you have any rare Chronology autos or inscriptions? If so, PM me.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
MavsRChamps

Dieng is definitely an overlooked guy from that 2013 Draft Class. I mean I even overlook him. You can make the case that he's not one of the best, but THE BEST player from that draft class so far really. Of course he's a bit older than most players, so the "potential" of a few other guys are probably higher, but he's been really good all-around.
MavsRChamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Quigley24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsRChamps View Post
You can make the case that he's not one of the best, but THE BEST player from that draft class so far really. Of course he's a bit older than most players, so the "potential" of a few other guys are probably higher, but he's been really good all-around.
As much as I've been impressed by him this season, the best in that class is a bit of a stretch. I'd give that to Giannis, who's averaging 19.6/9.6/8.1/1.8/2.0 over his last 15, and right around 16/7/4 on the year.

Coming out of college I thought he'd be a rim protecting backup center for his career. The strides he's made offensively are remarkable to put it lightly. He's been somewhat inconsistent in the Wolves games I've seen, but overall he's been a phenomenal fit next to KAT, and even though he's 26 I think he can still improve a little more.
Quigley24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
CALVINXLIONSX81

Quote:
Dieng is definitely an overlooked guy from that 2013 Draft Class. I mean I even overlook him. You can make the case that he's not one of the best, but THE BEST player from that draft class so far really. Of course he's a bit older than most players, so the "potential" of a few other guys are probably higher, but he's been really good all-around.
There's at least eight guys I can think of that I would take over Dieng from that draft.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
Nickel26

I'm glad others notice that Gorgui is worthy of being mentioned as a good NBA player...one of my all time favorite Louisville Cardinals...ill say this he came in at 210 his freshmen year of college and couldn't shoot the ball to save his life...2 years later he won us a championship with the sweet elbow jumper...he's older than people would like but he will make an impact
Nickel26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
MavsRChamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALVINXLIONSX81 View Post
There's at least eight guys I can think of that I would take over Dieng from that draft.
Notice that I said "make the case", not that I actually think he is. I haven't watched too many guys this year (and unlike others I don't like to compare players just off their stats) - For this year only, I would say he might be 4th behind Gobert/Giannis/Mcollum, but someone could argue he could be higher based off his versatility on both ends. For the future, I think he'd be outside of the top 6 or so. But it's all opinion-based of course.
MavsRChamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Ottomatic

Quote:
Gobert clearly the best career thus far. Then maybe Giannis, and Mccolum. Plumlee, Adams, Len and Dieng have all been good big men from that draft though. Nerlens to me should still be a high quality role player once out of Philly.

And how bout my dude Otto Porter sitting 10th in Win Shares out of that class despite not playing his rookie year? Still just 22 also. Draft ended up being decent. Hobby star power? No. But quality players came out of that draft.
Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #12
NeilCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
He signed Greg Smith because otherwise the Wolves' only backup big man is Adreian Payne (since KG and Pekovic are injured). I don't know about you, but I shudder to think what would happen when Towns and Dieng go to the bench if Payne is the only big man left on the court.

Dieng has been great at times this season. He's a surprisingly good passer and shooter. In fact, he doesn't have any big weaknesses in his game. It's amazing how much he's improved since his rookie season.
Yeah, I didn't mind the Smith signing, I was just baffled at how many of Gorgui's minutes he ate into right away. Gorgui's minutes have picked up again a bit, at least. The Wolves need to get rid of Payne. Probably my least favorite NBA player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley24 View Post
As much as I've been impressed by him this season, the best in that class is a bit of a stretch. I'd give that to Giannis, who's averaging 19.6/9.6/8.1/1.8/2.0 over his last 15, and right around 16/7/4 on the year.

Coming out of college I thought he'd be a rim protecting backup center for his career. The strides he's made offensively are remarkable to put it lightly. He's been somewhat inconsistent in the Wolves games I've seen, but overall he's been a phenomenal fit next to KAT, and even though he's 26 I think he can still improve a little more.
Yeah, Giannis has been the best and has the brightest future. Prior to Giannis successfully transitioning to point forward I would have said Gorgui was in the discussion for best career SO FAR, though. Giannis has pulled away, and I think it's pretty clear that at this point any GM would take him #1 in a re-draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALVINXLIONSX81 View Post
That's fair. After Giannis, Gobert, and McCollum I think there are six or seven that are debatable. I would take Gorgui fourth, but I'm obviously biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel26 View Post
I'm glad others notice that Gorgui is worthy of being mentioned as a good NBA player...one of my all time favorite Louisville Cardinals...ill say this he came in at 210 his freshmen year of college and couldn't shoot the ball to save his life...2 years later he won us a championship with the sweet elbow jumper...he's older than people would like but he will make an impact
I never saw him play for Louisville, but he has made major strides in the 2.5 years I've been watching him with the Wolves. I feel like most people overlook the fact that he started playing basketball at an older age than most, so he's still relatively raw for a 26-year-old. If he keeps working hard I think he has All-Star potential. Of course, his window is pretty limited so it would probably only be for 2-3 seasons.

Quote:
Notice that I said "make the case", not that I actually think he is. I haven't watched too many guys this year (and unlike others I don't like to compare players just off their stats) - For this year only, I would say he might be 4th behind Gobert/Giannis/Mcollum, but someone could argue he could be higher based off his versatility on both ends. For the future, I think he'd be outside of the top 6 or so. But it's all opinion-based of course.
I agree with you. Nobody from the draft class has been a superstar yet, other than Giannis for the past month or so. I hope Giannis can keep it up, but it's possible teams will be able to adjust to his new role as point forward. McCollum has made major strides this year but didn't do much the previous two seasons. Not his fault, but if we're talking about their careers up to this point it's a factor. Gobert has been great defensively since the Kanter trade, but again, Gorgui made a much bigger impact for the first year and a half, and I don't think Gobert has necessarily been better to the point of making up for that time. Victor Oladipo has shown flashes of being very good but hasn't been clearly better overall. So I agree that it is a conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Gobert clearly the best career thus far. Then maybe Giannis, and Mccolum. Plumlee, Adams, Len and Dieng have all been good big men from that draft though. Nerlens to me should still be a high quality role player once out of Philly.

And how bout my dude Otto Porter sitting 10th in Win Shares out of that class despite not playing his rookie year? Still just 22 also. Draft ended up being decent. Hobby star power? No. But quality players came out of that draft.
You think Gobert has clearly had a better career than Giannis so far?

I appreciate what Otto does for my DFS lineups whenever Beal is out.

Or do. I'll be around.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #13
Ottomatic

Thus far Gobert has had the more valuable career to this point, that's all I'm saying. We are talking about a top 10 defensive player two years straight. Fantastic player.

Thats being said, I'd take Giannis going forward, and he would absolutely go #1 in a redraft IMO.
Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #14
NeilCO

Gorgui has a +/- of +22 in 45.5 minutes against the Warriors this year. How many players have done that well against the Dubs?

Or do. I'll be around.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #15
yiguiri2002

Gorgui is a very decent player. I can see him being in the league for 10+ years as a rotation player or even a starter.

It just sucks 'cause I wanted the Bulls to pick him. Instead, we got Tony Snell.
yiguiri2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #16
thepinoymamba

Hall of Famer is really a far fetch notion of him.

Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:43 PM   #17
NeilCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinoymamba View Post
Hall of Famer is really a far fetch notion of him.
Yeah, that is definitely wishful thinking. Future All Star is a real possibility, though.

16 points, 12 boards, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals and just 1 TO tonight in 36:49. 7/10 FG. And yet nobody talks about him.

Or do. I'll be around.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #18
thepinoymamba

Quote:
Yeah, that is definitely wishful thinking. Future All Star is a real possibility, though.

16 points, 12 boards, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals and just 1 TO tonight in 36:49. 7/10 FG. And yet nobody talks about him.
Not even an Allstar player.. a solid starter the most.

Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:30 PM   #19
rodmanmartinez

He is playing way better, he started kinda sloppy this season, but has picked up, i'm starting to like how his playing, hopefully we will see his potential, now that he's getting more minutes.

Sort of reminds me of Dikembe Mutombo, not the most flashy player but a solid on defense and an efficient offensive player.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #20
NeilCO

SO CLUTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: Apparently Gorgui's game-tying 3 and two jumpers in double-OT for the W weren't as exciting for BO as they were for me.

Or do. I'll be around.

Last edited by NeilCO; 03-25-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #21
NeilCO

Been pretty frustrating to see Sam Mitchell inexplicably jerking Gorgui around lately, but glad to see him get big minutes and put on a show tonight. 34 mins, 18 points, 13 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, +23. Hope Thibs/SVG/Blatt will know how to utilize him.

Or do. I'll be around.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #22
the27guy

Future is bright in minny! Starting to click for those boys. Going to contend for playoffs next yr.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #23
NeilCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmanmartinez View Post
He is playing way better, he started kinda sloppy this season, but has picked up, i'm starting to like how his playing, hopefully we will see his potential, now that he's getting more minutes.

Sort of reminds me of Dikembe Mutombo, not the most flashy player but a solid on defense and an efficient offensive player.
If Gorgui becomes mini Mutombo I will be thrilled. Although I think Gorgui is already better offensively and he doesn't quite have the size to become Mutombo defensively.

Or do. I'll be around.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #24
NeilCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by the27guy View Post
Future is bright in minny! Starting to click for those boys. Going to contend for playoffs next yr.
Oh hey! The podcast guy is in my Gorgui thread!

Seriously though, I listened to a few episodes and really enjoyed the pod. Only reason I haven't listened to more yet is I haven't been home and I just don't listen to podcasts at work or my gf's place. Keep it up!

Or do. I'll be around.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:50 PM   #25
the27guy

Quote:
Oh hey! The podcast guy is in my Gorgui thread!

Seriously though, I listened to a few episodes and really enjoyed the pod. Only reason I haven't listened to more yet is I haven't been home and I just don't listen to podcasts at work or my gf's place. Keep it up!
Ha! Thanks man. Appreciate the kind words. It's been fun so far. Still working on some improvements. But starting to get a decent number of listeners so I'm happy.

But seriously, your team man... Although I love the core of my Jazz, every fan base in the league should be jealous of your potential 8 man rotation - what if you guys get Simmons??? It's over. And every time I see gorgui and shabazz I remember that we effectively traded both of them for trey Burke. And then I feel sad. And then I remember that we got Rudy gobert in that draft, and then I get happy. And then I realize that we should have just taken Giannis at 14 and gobert at 21 and ruled the league for ten years.... And then... I cry.