Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 01-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
cmixer

Default Running List of Books i got to Grade

I have a dozen books that need slabbing.
This is my notepad once I get some extra cash together.
Help me choose which books should be my highest priority --

My question:
Is it ever worth slabbing a modern book that's only 7.0?
Do books get a $35 bump just cause they are slabbed?

(#1.) Spawn 250 -- Skottie Young 1:100 -- probably only 9.4

(#2.) Batman Adventures 12 -- first Harley Quinn -- probably only 8.0

(#3.) Detective 880 -- Jock cover -- probably only 9.0

(#4.) Batman Cacophony #3 Bill Sienkiewicz 1:25 Joker Variant

(#5.) POWER GIRL 27 -- hot cover

(#6.) Totally Awesome Hulk #22 -- Weapon H -- probably only 9.4

(#7.) X-Men #266 -- 1st Gambit -- probably only 9.0

(#8.) Amazing Spider-Man #361 -- 1st Carnage (signed by Mark Bagley)

(#9.) NYX #4 -- second X23

(#10.) Edge of spiderverse #2 -- 1st SpiderGwen

(#11.) Cry for Dawn (1989) -- Linsner

(#12.) AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #238 -- 1st Hobgoblin

I'll add more later.
Thanks for feedback.
cmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
fishtaco02

I guess the question is are you getting the books slabbed to be added to your collection, or are you looking at getting them ready to sell?
fishtaco02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Donkaylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtaco02 View Post
i guess the question is are you getting the books slabbed to be added to your collection, or are you looking at getting them ready to sell?
y=-the graded pc books should be tah, xmen, sm361/238, ba12,---honestly, only grade "keys" or vintage. Most moderns should typically be high grade, in general, only $bumps are the 9.6/9.8+ versions, otherwise i suggest , do not.
Donkaylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
cmixer

Usually the way my collection works is:

All books are my PC books, I only buy what i like, but I will post them on Social Media.
Everything is always for sale if someone wants to make a sweet offer.
If they never sell, I keep & love them.

The goal is to have them at maximum attractiveness. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Stat Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtaco02 View Post
I guess the question is are you getting the books slabbed to be added to your collection, or are you looking at getting them ready to sell?
Spot on question! The real answer is behind that question of what is your goals and motivation.

Slabbing benefits are:

1) Easy to resell for general consensus opinions on the grade from a supposedly independent unbiased 3rd party.

2) Archival quality storage, to maintain the condition and preserve the book, a great way to protect your books.

3) Aesthetic beauty of the presentation in the case.

Slabbing cons are:

1) Many traditional collectors can see slabbing trading cards since you can see the front and back and appreciate it all the same, but with a comic book, once it's entombed you can't open it to read it so easily

2) Too many buyers buy the grade number not the book, so if you feel you're books are lower grades and your motivation is to resell, you have to look at your acquisition cost of the book and grading fee costs (incl all in with shipping, etc expenses), and do your own research on historical precedent of actual sales and see if the difference between a raw book and a graded one is worthwhile.

3) If you're selling a book, especially marginal lower priced ones, graded books cost $15 to ship where raw books are closer to $5, so the shipping expense and fear factor (buyers don't want to pay for shipping) comes into play.

4) Storage, it takes up way more room graded than raw.

Personally, I'd just grade 'em all and store them if you don't plan on re-reading them since they're all nice books and today's $10 books can be tomorrow's $50 books and next decade's $100 books, so it's good to keep 'em in great condition and respect them now rather than regret not taking care of 'em later.

The books I'd grade to keep are:

(#2.) Batman Adventures 12 -- first Harley Quinn -- probably only 8.0

(#7.) X-Men #266 -- 1st Gambit -- probably only 9.0

(#8.) Amazing Spider-Man #361 -- 1st Carnage (signed by Mark Bagley)

(#9.) NYX #4 -- second X23

(#10.) Edge of spiderverse #2 -- 1st SpiderGwen

(#11.) Cry for Dawn (1989) -- Linsner

(#12.) AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #238 -- 1st Hobgoblin

The other books you listed I feel are maybe hot today cold tomorrow potentially, so if they're expensive and you can use the money and cash out to buy stuff you like better, I'd consider moving out of trendy possible flash-in-the-pan variants which may not stand the test of time.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
Spider-Fan

No they don't get a $35 bump just because they are slabbed, so with a couple exceptions slabbing moderns below 9.6 is a losing proposition. On the BA12, for example, you'd probably do better selling it raw to somebody who thinks you're undergrading or that if will grade higher with a press.

If you like the look of stabbed, do all the moderns <$200 together. If you join CGC they will only be $18 each and the submission will cover the cost of the membership. Drop them off st a show and you'll save on shipping too. That's how I do all my subs now. It's only a rush to sub if your trying to resell.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #7
Gambit C10

Good advice. I would like to get some basically worthless books graded simply because I think their cover would look good when I get a wrap-around custom shelving unit installed in my dork room.
Gambit C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #8
dab282

For aesthetic purposes I would do this instead of slabbing moderns you want to display: https://www.ultrapro.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4271
Old 01-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
Gambit C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab282 View Post
For aesthetic purposes I would do this instead of slabbing moderns you want to display: https://www.ultrapro.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4271
Thanks! I had no idea these existed. Probably around 10 or so comics I want to display are early 90s comics I got as a kid that I also wouldn't mind reading again like gambit' s first mini series.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #10
Morgoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit C10 View Post
Thanks! I had no idea these existed. Probably around 10 or so comics I want to display are early 90s comics I got as a kid that I also wouldn't mind reading again like gambit' s first mini series.
Have a good system for hanging as they are very heavy and will pull a lot of wall mounts out of the wall.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #11
Gambit C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
Have a good system for hanging as they are very heavy and will pull a lot of wall mounts out of the wall.
What I'm getting built is pretty sturdy. It's basically a wood shelving unit that'll wrap around the upper part of the room. Once it's up, it'll be hard to take down and will hold a good bit of weight.

I don't plan on putting statutes up there so there shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
cmixer

Also got:

(#13.) Alias 1, 1st Jessica Jones

(#14.) Silver Surfer 44, 1st Infinity Gauntlet

... is there a current “100 Hottest” list anywhere online? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit C10 View Post
Good advice. I would like to get some basically worthless books graded simply because I think their cover would look good when I get a wrap-around custom shelving unit installed in my dork room.
I has some if those true believers reprints slabbed just for display. Way cooler for about the same price as the wall art they sell at Target and craft stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab282 View Post
Those are really nice but they are SOOOOO expensive. It used to cost me $1.20 more to get a book graded. Even after the price increase its still just $3 more for a book that s been professionally graded (maybe $4 after the shipping and other fees).

They are nice, but I think the small increase you pay for grading is worth it.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #14
Stat Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I has some if those true believers reprints slabbed just for display. Way cooler for about the same price as the wall art they sell at Target and craft stores.

Those are really nice but they are SOOOOO expensive. It used to cost me $1.20 more to get a book graded. Even after the price increase its still just $3 more for a book that s been professionally graded (maybe $4 after the shipping and other fees).

They are nice, but I think the small increase you pay for grading is worth it.
I agree 200% on those 2 points.

The CGC graded / slabbed books looks aesthetically more impressive than any of these one-touch, top-loaders and frames in the aftermarket.

Most of the comic book frame/holders are not near archival quality, and books can get damaged from not being secure in the floating within the inner well.

Of course to many, it's simply just a frame, so, maybe condition isn't key and putting a random beat down old book or modern dollar bin book that you like the cover of, tells you, you don't care about the current nor future value... but I'll say to the point made here, if it's only a few bucks more to get it CGC graded and encased, it's a better decision.

Some may disagree since the CGC has the label and the other forms of displaying, is more streamlined, plus you can open up the frame to either read the book or even swap it out with a different book to display later.

I'm a bigger fan of the CGC display 'tho, it looks so "official" with the label and impressive as well to the untrained eye (non-comic collectors)
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #15
Spider-Fan

I like the label. For somebody who doesn't know anything about the books, it gives them some information. It's like the little blurb under a painting in a museum.

Those ultra pro one touches do present nicely though. If you want to have a rotating display of books and not store slabs, that aren't being displayed, it's definitely a feasible option. I purchased 4 of them a few years ago when they just came out to display some of my sketch covers. Since then I've just had some of those sketch covers slabbed green label