Blowout Cards Forums
Wave TUE

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

Notices

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (Pre-1980's)

Old 10-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
Schleppboy

Default 36/37 Hockey

Have some old cards glued in book. Is it best to leave how do you go about removing? Any idea what they would grade value pretty much have whole set
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0729E5E-C71F-4776-AA4C-7F9722146F6C.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	435173  
Schleppboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
mjohnatgt

There's a lot of "it depends" in my answers. But I'll walk you through them.

As of now, if you cut them out still affixed to the backing (or ripped the backing off), they would most likely grade Authentic by any of the Big 3 companies. Depending on the glue and the paper stock, they may "soak" off the paper. Many glues used during the early 1900s period is water soluble. So by submerging the paper under warm distilled water, the glue *may* dissolve and the card can be peeled from the scrapbook.

If you do it correctly (no bleach, not pressing the cards improperly), this is an approved way of conserving the cards, and they're eligible for number grades from the card companies. If the card peel off with no glue residue, you then put them inside a couple sheets of computer paper and then put a heavy book on top. Every hour or so for the first couple of hours, you change out the paper. Then change it when you wake up the next day. Then change it one more time until the computer paper shows no sign of water wrinkling.

I am NOT SURE if these cards will soak, or what type of glue they are affixed with. You may want to try a common or take them to a paper conservator.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
mjohnatgt

As to what they could be worth, a lot:
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...pee-chee/42640
Old 10-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
mjohnatgt

Your other option is to sell them as a whole scrapbook using an auctionhouse like REA or Heritage. If you are going to soak them, start with a common or a different non-hockey card in the scrapbook. Amazing find.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
MJGOAT23

http://www.gonewiththestain.com
MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
rittdk01

I sent a Ruth card with a quarter size piece of paper glued to the back. The front of the card looked like a 6. Sent to PSA and it graded a PSA 1. I just wanted it authenticated, but that paper killed the grade.
rittdk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
rittdk01

And don’t try to put them in water if you don’t know what you are doing, you could def ruin them.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
duwal

about how many cards do you have total attached to the book?
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
mjohnatgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGOAT23 View Post
Since the owner of this site uses chemical solutions to treat their cards, he is considered a scammer by the vintage card community.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #10
rittdk01

If they were mine I would keep them in the book or sell them that way. It would be tragic if you ruined them trying to get them out. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
discostu

Those 1936 O-Pee-Chee cards are iconic.

In regards to next steps, mjohnatgt nailed it on both accounts...soaking method or keep in tact.

With the potential dollar figures if you were to sell, I don't envy the decision ahead...just envy the collection.

How about some more pics?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #12
MJGOAT23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnatgt View Post
Since the owner of this site uses chemical solutions to treat their cards, he is considered a scammer by the vintage card community.

Oh. Iíve used them before but not for anything like this. I found them to be very polite professional and on the up and up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #13
mjohnatgt

Most scammers are polite and professional. That's why they call them confidence men.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #14
MJGOAT23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnatgt View Post
Most scammers are polite and professional. That's why they call them confidence men.
I find scammers impolite and unprofessional. They weren't trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I had a card that I accidentally dinged a corner on and they improved it (but not fixed it). I don't see it as scamming. They didnt change the original card stock or trim it or otherwise alter it. I assume they press it out somehow. If that is a scam then wouldn't removing wax from a card that has a wax stain be scamming? It's improving the card by rubbing off the wax. bleaching or soaking in chemicals i would think is an alteration, because it's changing the original card stock. But if your'e just removing something to return it to original state, then what's the issue?

Last edited by MJGOAT23; 11-13-2018 at 08:48 AM.