Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #251
Zerostreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Your cards are awesome!
Thanks! Appreciate it! Quite a compliment coming from you, your work is awesome.

Last one for today.

www.facebook.com/ArtOfRobertJimenez/
Zerostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #252
t2554

I'm not even a fan of Mars Attacks but these sketches are looking awesome, especially the painted ones you're showing off, Zerostreet.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #253
Hellfish

Those sketches look great. I'm looking forward to a couple cases of this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #254
rmaheras

Well, I just received permission from Topps to share these sketch cards I drew for Mars Attacks Invasion:

Sorry for the iPhone image below -- I'll do a regular scan on this one later.

rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #255
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Artist Lyndal Ferguson.

ALevine - Topps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #256
Hellfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
Well, I just received permission from Topps to share these sketch cards I drew for Mars Attacks Invasion:

Sorry for the iPhone image below -- I'll do a regular scan on this one later.

Those are amazing!! Please PM me about Artist proofs if available. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #257
monkeymcgee

Maybe I'm being blinded by the hype, but the sketch quality on this set from what has been posted here and on Facebook seems stronger than normal. I love that we're seeing some new (to us) artists in these as well.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #258
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Maybe I'm being blinded by the hype, but the sketch quality on this set from what has been posted here and on Facebook seems stronger than normal. I love that we're seeing some new (to us) artists in these as well.
The artists who do the best work are always the ones with a real passion for the brand. For this set we actively recruited a new crop of talented artists -- pros and up-and-comers-- who really love mars attacks.

Artists are also doing fewer quantities (in part because while there are still one per box, there will be a much smaller print run as a hobby exclusive) and artists are being incentivized to do more color this time around.

I will post every sketch I get from an artist on Facebook (though admittedly I won't see them all).
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #259
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Although I fully agree... I'm always skeptical about overall/average quality, because they only show a small percentage of the sketches and of course they pick the best. The artists that are submitting quick doodles aren't the ones showing off their completed cards online.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #260
rmaheras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
Those are amazing!! Please PM me about Artist proofs if available. Thanks!
Thanks!

Wait'll you see some of the other ones I'm cooking up!

I'm enjoying the heck out of this!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #261
rmaheras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Although I fully agree... I'm always skeptical about overall/average quality, because they only show a small percentage of the sketches and of course they pick the best. The artists that are submitting quick doodles aren't the ones showing off their completed cards online.
But that "boo-yay" reality has always been the case in card collecting. Not every sports pack has that key rookie card, or that auto by a superstar.

Being a Chicago Guy, I went nuts in 1985 trying to get all of the Bears players in the Topps NFL series (this was BEFORE anyone had any idea they would win the Super Bowl that season). And then, since I had so many cards in the set, I figured I may as well go all the way and complete it. I had duplicates of most cards, and some of the players I had seven or eight cards of each. But I only ended up with one Jerry Rice rookie card -- a card that eventually became the most valuable card in the set.

In the old days of card collecting, before eBay, before card shows, and before such things as hobby boxes, trying to get the key cards one needed simply needed to complete a base set could be maddening.

I really like the idea of sketch cards, auto cards, medallions, patches, printing plates, 3-D cards and other such special incentive cards. But the luck of the draw will probably always be a big factor in card collecting.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #262
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Thanks!

Wait'll you see some of the other ones I'm cooking up!

I'm enjoying the heck out of this!
Believe me, I know. But I will not be editing out anything this time around. Not to say that every card will be high quality, full color, but whatever these artists send me i'll try to post when I can. I won't leave out any because it's not "good enough to show."

Really that's all I can do!
Old 08-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #263
monkeymcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Believe me, I know. But I will not be editing out anything this time around. Not to say that every card will be high quality, full color, but whatever these artists send me i'll try to post when I can. I won't leave out any because it's not "good enough to show."

Really that's all I can do!
I think that's an awesome policy. It's better that everyone have a realistic expectation of what they can pull.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #264
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
I think that's an awesome policy. It's better that everyone have a realistic expectation of what they can pull.
I'll try to see if I can scan and upload all of them (as many as there will be!) as they come into the office. It'll be a lot of work, but maybe if it do it slowly over time it will be do-able.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #265
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

One other thing i've noticed that should not be discounted is that a lot of these "new" artists want to impress their audience, and have a lot of motivation to do really outstanding work. Guys who've done this for years can sometimes get to a point where they don't see the need to impress anyone.

The other thing is when they see me posting stuff on face book, they know their work will have an audience-- not just one consumer or listing on ebay or at worst, buried forever in a pack.

Lastly, seeing other artists work can often do a lot to motivate an artist to up their game!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #266
Zerostreet

Speaking for myself....I, of course, want fans to like my cards. That's definitely a cool thing. These are the first cards I've done. I committed to the lowest amount simply to ensure I can put my all in each one. If you visit my site, or facebook page, you'll see most of my work is paintings, along with a bit of sculpture. I feel comfortable painting and wish I had the time to do all of them like that. I'd like to think that if I continue to work on card series I'd continue to give them the same care.

Gotta say I also really apprciate how alvin has been promoting the artists, the sketch cards and the series!! Thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #267
Spider-Fan

Quote:
But that "boo-yay" reality has always been the case in card collecting. Not every sports pack has that key rookie card, or that auto by a superstar.

Being a Chicago Guy, I went nuts in 1985 trying to get all of the Bears players in the Topps NFL series (this was BEFORE anyone had any idea they would win the Super Bowl that season). And then, since I had so many cards in the set, I figured I may as well go all the way and complete it. I had duplicates of most cards, and some of the players I had seven or eight cards of each. But I only ended up with one Jerry Rice rookie card -- a card that eventually became the most valuable card in the set.

In the old days of card collecting, before eBay, before card shows, and before such things as hobby boxes, trying to get the key cards one needed simply needed to complete a base set could be maddening.

I really like the idea of sketch cards, auto cards, medallions, patches, printing plates, 3-D cards and other such special incentive cards. But the luck of the draw will probably always be a big factor in card collecting.
Sorry I wasn't trying to rain on anybody's parade or insult any of the artists that are showing off their cards. The stuff being shown here is great. EVERY set has some GREAT sketch cards. But you know how the saying goes... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Or whatever... I've seen enough Topps breaks (Star Wars, LOTR, Indiana Jones, Wacky Packages, MA Heritage) to know that the average quality will be below average and the if you hit 2 GREAT sketches in a case you will be very lucky. I'll say it again and again... I HOPE I'M WRONG. I'd love to be wrong, I really would. But I'll save eating my words until I see a dozen case breaks or so. Until then, I'll be maintain my skepticism.

Preslae for an 8-box case is $485 on Blowout. I could take the chance on a case or I could buy 4-6 high quality singles/APs and a mini-master set on eBay. Hmmmmm.... Alvin convince me that I'd be fool to pass on the case. And please, post some of those duds that are going to be packed out. Own it. At least I can respect that.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #268
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerostreet View Post
Speaking for myself....I, of course, want fans to like my cards. That's definitely a cool thing. These are the first cards I've done. I committed to the lowest amount simply to ensure I can put my all in each one. If you visit my site, or facebook page, you'll see most of my work is paintings, along with a bit of sculpture. I feel comfortable painting and wish I had the time to do all of them like that. I'd like to think that if I continue to work on card series I'd continue to give them the same care.

Gotta say I also really apprciate how alvin has been promoting the artists, the sketch cards and the series!! Thanks!
Honesty is always the best way to promote a product. Tricking people never helped anyone (unless you're just looking to make a quick buck-- but in this case I want fans to give continued support so we can do a second and third series-- and beyond).

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't trying to get people to support the product, but I'm trying to do so by being forthright. I'm not going to try to make wild claims other than that we've worked really hard to make a great set.

There will always be some people who are unsatisfied-- whether because they got some bad pulls or some bad luck, or their case had collation issues and were missing hits-- or even because there are some people who can never be pleased-- but if nothing else i want to make sure those people are not unsatisfied with what we *tried* to do.

Whether we accomplished what we set out to do is ultimately up to you guys.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #269
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
And please, post some of those duds that are going to be packed out. Own it. At least I can respect that.
I'll post whatever I get-- seriously. I'll let you people judge whether they are duds or not (there are plenty of sketches i've seen for SW for example that I think are great but fans here think are trash).

It just happens to be right now that the people sending me their sketches are the ones most excited and doing the best work. But anyone who sends me scans will get posted on our facebook page.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #270
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #271
Zerostreet

Awesome card!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #272
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Matt Frank.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #273
monkeymcgee

LOL--love the "Seems Legit" sketch
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #274
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
LOL--love the "Seems Legit" sketch
It almost looks like a young Ronald Regan! Matt Frank, btw, drew MA/Transformers crossover for IDW. I believe he's done some Transformers sketch cards in the past, but never anything for Topps.

I just got word that Simon Bisley has agreed to do a very limited quantity. I hope he gets them done in time!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #275
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
I just got word that Simon Bisley has agreed to do a very limited quantity. I hope he gets them done in time!!!
WOW!!