Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 100

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
mainerunr

Default Infield Fly Rule question

Bases loaded, 1 out. Pop fly in the infield, Infield Fly Rule called, runners are all leading, head back once infield fly rule is called. Second baseman catches the ball 5ft from second and steps on the bag before the runner returns.

Obviously the batter is out. How about the runner at second base?
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
NeedChapmans

Out.

Infield fly automatically means the batter is out. All other standard baseball rules apply; same as if a ball was hit to the outfield, caught, and the runner on 2nd was doubled up.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
txrngr34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Out.

Infield fly automatically means the batter is out. All other standard baseball rules apply; same as if a ball was hit to the outfield, caught, and the runner on 2nd was doubled up.
I second this.

Runner needs to hurry back to the bag if the fielder is that close.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
BostonNut

"Runners advance at their own risk."

Out.
Proud owner of JBLR post and reply #10,000!
Forum Unity needs work.
BostonNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
crazy4kinsler

Most runners will get back to the base or stay on the base once it's caught in the infield in that situation because they know it's standard rules after the "automatic" out.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
mnvikingstwins

Infield fly just means batter is automatically out and runners can't be forced at next base with a drop

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
mainerunr

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4kinsler View Post
Most runners will get back to the base or stay on the base once it's caught in the infield in that situation because they know it's standard rules after the "automatic" out.
The call was made very late (the ball was in the glove before he finished invoking the rule). The runner on second never should have left the bag on a ball that close to the base.

I almost got tossed for arguing with the umpire (who insisted that it became a tag play, which it would have been had the runner been advancing after the catch rather than tagging up because of the catch).

Meanwhile, live ball, everyone watching to see if I was going to get tossed, the other team's third base coach sends the runner there home. So not only do we not get the out that would have ended the inning, they get another run (and that is on me for not waiting to argue the call).
Old 06-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
BostonNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerunr View Post

Meanwhile, live ball, everyone watching to see if I was going to get tossed, the other team's third base coach sends the runner there home. So not only do we not get the out that would have ended the inning, they get another run (and that is on me for not waiting to argue the call).
Wait....what? You were on the field arguing the call and the umpires didn't declare dead ball?

How on earth was a runner allowed to advance a base with a coach on the field?
Forum Unity needs work.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
Peties Army

Quote:
The call was made very late (the ball was in the glove before he finished invoking the rule). The runner on second never should have left the bag on a ball that close to the base.

I almost got tossed for arguing with the umpire (who insisted that it became a tag play, which it would have been had the runner been advancing after the catch rather than tagging up because of the catch).

Doesn't matter when it is called. Even if he didn't call it at all he can still stop play to correct it.

Sorry coach, poor base running, thats on you.

I don't understand what bolded part means

Edit: Misunderstood what was being said

Last edited by Peties Army; 06-19-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Peties Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Peties Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Wait....what? You were on the field arguing the call and the umpires didn't declare dead ball?

How on earth was a runner allowed to advance a base with a coach on the field?
Not the umpires responsibility. Op should have made sure time was called and then come out to talk about it. My guess is that OP didn't ever cross over white line but argued from dugout(typically what is done at little league) so therefore if I'm the ump I'm not stopping the play

Third base coach shouldn't have been a dick.

Last edited by Peties Army; 06-19-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #11
Peties Army

Quote:

Oh, you were on the field. I thought you were batting and you were wrong.

Yes, others are right.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #12
BostonNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peties Army View Post
Not the umpires responsibility. Op should have made sure time was called and then come out to talk about it. My guess is that OP didn't ever cross over white line but argued from dugout(typically what is done at little league) so therefore if I'm the ump I'm not stopping the play

Third base coach shouldn't have been a dick.
Regardless, if the coach had the umpires attention the umpire is required to call dead ball. If the umpires were ignoring the coach then okay...play on. I suppose more info is needed.
Forum Unity needs work.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
Peties Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Regardless, if the coach had the umpires attention the umpire is required to call dead ball. If the umpires were ignoring the coach then okay...play on. I suppose more info is needed.
Aren't required to do anything.

Pretty simple, if coach runs on field while play is going on, automatic ejection. If coach yells from dugout, we are still playing.

It all depends on time for me. If we are still in the process of the play and coach choices to yell at me, then screw you run scores. If play is over and coach yells and I respond then coach yells and I respond then kid goes, Im probably saying comeback cause other coach is being a dbag.

Again I'm assuming this is little league which I haven't done in years, and there is always nonsense like this happening.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
mbrown2626

If the infielder catches the ball, runners must tag up. If the infielder does not catch the ball, no tag up required.
mbrown2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #15
Peties Army

I was doing a Legion game the other day pick off at first, guy didn't slide and got tagged out. First base coach yells his foot was on the bag, I said not before he was tagged. kept going on. Kid says from dugout "I was out" Coach keeps arguing. Dump him.

Even at better levels they are still dummies.

Last edited by Peties Army; 06-19-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #16
Peties Army

And the coaches argue at every level.

My kid is 6(yes 6) hits off pitching machine. Smoked one off the pitching machine the other day, and ball rolls foul. Dead ball gets first. Coach from other team starts yelling its a foul ball(umps are maybe 12). Our coach says why? "Cause it went foul" I said (I do the pitching machine)"only if it is in the air" Coach says "No No, that's wrong". Our coach says "They are six." they just keep saying it is foul. I said "doesn't matter, watch" Put the ball in and he rips a double.

6 years old, who cares?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #17
mainerunr

Babe Ruth. And it was a paid, certified umpire.

I was in the dugout.

And I already said here that run was on me (although technically, we should have been out of the inning had the umpire actually known the rule, I should have waited to make a comment to the umpire). And I made sure the team knew that run was on me. Same as if I send a runner when I should not and they end up thrown out, that is not on them, it is on me for sending them.

I know I am not the best coach. If anyone else had stepped up and been willing to do it, I would have stepped away (I'm coaching in a neighboring town because we did not have enough players and they had nobody willing to coach). I should have asked for time, I get that.

Go ahead and spin this against me however you like (I know that is how it works around here) but I can tell you right now, if you just let everything go, players start to think you just do not care...because they do know the rules. I don't argue close plays, I don't argue balls and strikes.

Last edited by mainerunr; 06-19-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #18
Peties Army

Quote:
Babe Ruth. And it was a paid, certified umpire.

I was in the dugout.

And I already said here that run was on me (although technically, we should have been out of the inning had the umpire actually known the rule, I should have waited to make a comment to the umpire). And I made sure the team knew that run was on me. Same as if I send a runner when I should not and they end up thrown out, that is not on them, it is on me for sending them.

I know I am not the best coach. If anyone else had stepped up and been willing to do it, I would have stepped away (I'm coaching in a neighboring town because we did not have enough players and they had nobody willing to coach). I should have asked for time, I get that.

Go ahead and spin this against me however you like (I know that is how it works around here) but I can tell you right now, if you just let everything go, players start to think you just do not care...because they do know the rules. I don't argue close plays, I don't argue balls and strikes.
Doesn't mean they are dummies(as we can see by his call). My guess is certification is minimal.

Im not questioning your coaching at all, sorry if it came off that way. Run wasn't on you. Ump blew a call and 3rd base coach is a douche.

Hindsight is 20/20. Ump was a dummy.

Im not spinning it. You have to question their calls. Only way your kids get better. The example I made as the coach was being a dummy cause it was about him, not about what is best for the team, that was what is best for him, to show he was a "man".

Should you have called time and ran out? Yes. Should ump had blown the call and coach think it was ok to send the runner? No. Their mistakes are far worse then yours.

Little league umpires should use common sense, and often they don't.

The only thing you can do is protest the game, which means you have to make a payment at the field, call it right away and then replay the game. Is it worth all that? Probably not.

Not calling you out, like I said your mistake was far smaller then the other guys. Sorry if it came off that way.