Blowout Cards Forums
2024 Baseball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
danimal

Default Big 10 = Big East = Suck!!

Why do these 2 conferences get a free pass to the BCS! OSU and Iowa may have won but wow Navy and Northern Iowa aren't exactly world beaters! And the Big Least doesn't have a single team in the Top 25 but they will have a team in one of the 4 biggest bowl games. I may be eating some crow after next week, but I really think USC will dominate the SuckEyes in the shoe next week.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
buckeyefan32

I'm sorry but I really don't think usc with any true freshman quarterback not named tyrelle pryor can beat them--yes osu definatly played poorly, but navy played well. Plus, on that 4and1 went osu went for it--they wouldn't have gone for it if they were playing usc--this takes away atleast 7 from navy and adds 3 to osu

I don't know, but this isn't a game to judge in my biased opinion

11.27.09 The REAL day Blowout Blewup
buckeyefan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
danimal

Well, we will all know next week! Hopefully OSU or PSU will play Rutgers in the BCS Bowl in January so we can be spared these two putrid conference ruining 2 BCS bowl games!
Old 09-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
buckeyefan32

let's not get hasty here---remember last year? what was the score in the fiesta bowl? OSU lost by a field goal? to a team everyone thought should have been in the championship too--I'm not saying the big ten or the big east is as good as the sec or big 12, but don't underestimate them

Old 09-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
danimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan32 View Post
let's not get hasty here---remember last year? what was the score in the fiesta bowl? OSU lost by a field goal? to a team everyone thought should have been in the championship too--I'm not saying the big ten or the big east is as good as the sec or big 12, but don't underestimate them
The Big 10 is also not as good as the Pac 10 or Mountain West!! Utah won their BCS game!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
buckeyefan32

Really, you don't think the big ten was as good overall as the pac 10 or mt west last year? I'll give you usc and utah---who else

ps utah beat bama last year and should have been nat. champs over florida so then you can also say the mt. west is better the the sec

Old 09-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Bigblue

First week of the season but yeah this BCS thing is a joke... it's better than the old stuff, but I would still like a 16 team playoff.

BTW...I'm a OSU fan and now I'm pretty worried about USC. I think Tressel might have been trying not to tip his hand this week though.

Also, being an OSU fan I can admit that the Big 10 is not nearly as strong as the polls make them out to be.

With that said, I think we should have a great season in front of us with McCoy, Tebow and Bradford all coming back.

Collecting Brandon Phillips, Barry Larkin and Jesse Winker
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
danimal

All I am saying is the Big East and Big 10 suck!! My favorite team is a Sun Belt team so I have no dog in the fight!!

I just like to see Big 10 fans try to defend their WEAK conference!!!

But here you go with the 2008-09 Bowl Results:

Pac 10: 5-0
SEC: 6-2
Mountain West: 4-2
Big East: 4-2 (I would like to apologize to the Big East they do not suck nearly as bad as the Big 10, I never should have lumped them in the same toilet as the Big 10!!)
Big 12: 4-3
Sun Belt: 1-1 (WOW my beloved Sun Belt is better the Big 10!!!!)
Big 10: 1-6

Last edited by danimal; 09-05-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
ohiomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
All I am saying is the Big East and Big 10 suck!! My favorite team is a Sun Belt team so I have no dog in the fight!!

I just like to see Big 10 fans try to defend their WEAK conference!!!

But here you go with the 2008-09 Bowl Results:

Pac 10: 5-0
SEC: 6-2
Mountain West: 4-2
Big East: 4-2 (I would like to apologize to the Big East they do not suck nearly as bad as the Big 10, I never should have lumped them in the same toilet as the Big 10!!)
Big 12: 4-3
Sun Belt: 1-1 (WOW my beloved Sun Belt is better the Big 10!!!!)
Big 10: 1-6
If the quality of your opponent doesn't matter, then the overall results by conference for week 1 of the 2009 season are as relevant as the overall results of the bowl games by conference. I invite you to compile the records by conference at the end of today and see how the results vary. Just because the Big 10 will be 10-1 at the end of the day doesn't really mean anything, just as the fact they went 1-6 in bowls last year also doesn't mean anything.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
gman71

Ohio State was in a no win situation this week. They were caught looking ahead to USC and kept most of their offense plain & simple so USC would not have game film to study.

It was the simple trap game,anyone who follows college football close enough should have expected a tight game
Old 09-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
danimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
If the quality of your opponent doesn't matter, then the overall results by conference for week 1 of the 2009 season are as relevant as the overall results of the bowl games by conference. I invite you to compile the records by conference at the end of today and see how the results vary. Just because the Big 10 will be 10-1 at the end of the day doesn't really mean anything, just as the fact they went 1-6 in bowls last year also doesn't mean anything.
I will have to decline your invitation!! The Big 10 sucks that is enough said!! As I said next Saturday should decide it all. I predict USC will best OSWho 35-3 (deja-vu)!!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
danimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
Ohio State was in a no win situation this week. They were caught looking ahead to USC and kept most of their offense plain & simple so USC would not have game film to study.

It was the simple trap game,anyone who follows college football close enough should have expected a tight game
Couldn't the same be said about USC today? They are up 28-3 at the half!! I love it - Big 10 keep defending your turds!!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
ohiomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post

This is true, and even with that said... OSU dominated Navy in the first half. And if it weren't for a horrible coaching decision by Tressel, the Buckeyes would have had a 32 - 13 lead with less than 7 minutes left in the game. Although 99% of the Big-10 haters commenting on the game did not actually watch the game and are assuming the Buckeyes and Navy played evenly due to the final score.

The positives are that we handled a very good, but not great, Navy team with relative ease, Pettrey made a 50+ yard field goal look like a chip shot, and Pryor looked like every bit the Heisman candidate that he is accounting for 200+ yards and 2 touchdowns on a day where the play calling was very vanilla.

The negatives are that the defense looked soft, the running game was wildly inconsistent, and the play calling / decision making by the coaching staff left a lot to be desired. (Although I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the coaching staff about that last point, assuming they didn't unveil much of the playbook today)

Old 09-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
gman71

Quote:
Couldn't the same be said about USC today? They are up 28-3 at the half!! I love it - Big 10 keep defending your turds!!!!
I think the Big 10 is a joke,so the last thing I'm doing is defending it,turd.

USC doesn't have to worry about OSU knowing what it's getting,they already know. It's up to OSU to not tip its hand and give the defensive genius Pete is, something to gameplan for during the week
Old 09-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
brett06

Big ten may be average this year, but since 1995, only wiscosnin, penn st and iowa have winning records in bowls, PSU and UW have 17 of those wins with 6 loses bewteen them. OSU, and Mich are actually uner .500. It helps to have a great record for being in a bcw bowl, but osu is more of a show team if that makes any sense. Wisconsin was not good last year. They hsould have beat mich, osu, and msu and had leads on ALL of them. Like I said, they weren't good. That shows the big ten was down last year. This year, who knows. Osu and usc will be a closer game this year. I think penn state is still the team to beat, and if phillips turns out to be a good Qb for UW, they could be dangerous. They have solid recievers, Te's, rb's and an agressive D. I do hate how BB makes teh schedule though. I want to go to games but wofford and NIU?? Come on. You may as well schedule my HS because they are better. I'd like to see thyem play a texas team and mix it with a pac 10 team. Win or lose, it'd be fun to watch. I almost got ticks for tonights game until I realized how much a waste it would be.
When its all said and done, Florida, oklahoma, and texas are 3 tough teams to beat. Boise may have also played their way into a bcs game as well.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #16
buckeyefan32

I'm just gonna say that come next saturday, be wary of the game

and then I'm gonna leave, because I think, as a 13 year old, (that's right I'm 13), I am classier than a man who says "turd"

Old 09-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
ohiomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett06 View Post
Big ten may be average this year, but since 1995, only wiscosnin, penn st and iowa have winning records in bowls, PSU and UW have 17 of those wins with 6 loses bewteen them. OSU, and Mich are actually uner .500. It helps to have a great record for being in a bcw bowl, but osu is more of a show team if that makes any sense.
I'll be the first to admit that the Big 10 is in a slump, but they are not a bad conference. And to call Ohio State a "show team" is absurd. In the last 7 years, the Buckeyes are 4-3 with 1 National Championship game win, and 2 National Championship game loses. They aren't getting to these games based on reputation... they are absolutely earning their BCS bowl game bids. Just because they don't win EVERY year doesn't make them a bad team, especially when they haven't lost to a team ranked lower than #3 in a bowl game in the last 7 years.

2008: Loss to Texas (Going into the game, Texas ranked #3 Ohio State ranked #10)
2007: Loss to LSU (GITG, LSU ranked #2, Ohio State ranked #1)
2006: Loss to Florida (GITG, Florida ranked #2, Ohio State ranked #1)
2005: Win vs Notre Dame (GITG, Ohio State ranked #4, Notre Dame ranked #6)
2004: Win vs Oklahoma State (GITG, Oklahoma State ranked #24, Ohio State ranked #25)
2003: Win vs Kansas State (GITG, Ohio State ranked #5, Kansas State ranked #10)
2002: Win vs Miami (GITG, Miami ranked #1, Ohio State ranked #2)

So when Ohio State is favored, they are 2-2 in this stretch with loses to two #2 teams

When Ohio State is the underdog, they are 2-1 with the only loss to a #3 team.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #18
danimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan32 View Post
I'm just gonna say that come next saturday, be wary of the game

and then I'm gonna leave, because I think, as a 13 year old, (that's right I'm 13), I am classier than a man who says "turd"
Stay Classy San Diego!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #19
danimal

Pryor 's INT in in the 4th Q was VERY Hiesman-like!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
ohiomike

Quote:
Pryor 's INT in in the 4th Q was VERY Hiesman-like!
I didn't think you watched the game... that statement proved it.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #21
danimal

Quote:
I didn't think you watched the game... that statement proved it.
I watched the entire game - the ball was tipped by his receiver - the ball was high and behind the WR!!! I am a prior Naval Officer so I was rooting for Navy!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #22
ohiomike

Quote:
I watched the entire game - the ball was tipped by his receiver!!! I am a prior Naval Officer so I was rooting for Navy!
So it wasn't ignorance that led you to make that statement if you knew the pass was tipped... so if it wasn't ignorance that caused you to write that... what was it?

Old 09-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #23
danimal

Quote:
So it wasn't ignorance that led you to make that statement if you knew the pass was tipped... so if it wasn't ignorance that caused you to write that... what was it?
The ball was high and behind his WR!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #24
danimal

If I remember correctly the announcer also said he never took his eyes off his WR the entire play, basically stared down his receiver!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #25
bmarshallfan
Banned

iowa did play a very good school in northern iowa they are like one of there top schools in there class and they know alot about iowa also and uni does produce NFL players also just look at kurt warner,mike furrey and there are others they have put to the nfl and pat grace there qb i wouldnt be surprised if he is the next joe flacco to come from there conf.
bmarshallfan is offline   Reply With Quote