Blowout Cards Forums
NFL Draft

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #201
twenty4seven

I love sports and the last thing I want to digest while indulging in this interest is someone spouting their personal stance on issues or views.

There are many other venues and outlets to voice or portray strong views and inclination such as public media, filmed interviews, or outreach programs. With the type of money and fortune he has accrued, he has more to donate than most.

What he did was disrespectful and is open to scrutiny. Anything we say or do is open to scrutiny and subject to public opinion. He can pull down his pants in the end zone and moon the audience but it will be left to open interpretation just like his actions the other day.

There are better ways to voice your beliefs than outwardly disrespecting the pride that Americans feel toward their country and it's symbolic flag. All of the injustices in the world should not be the forefront matter in a sports venue.

Does he think he is the only player in the NFL who sees injustice in this world? Does he think that he has given all he can to exact that injustice? Does he think that mixing sports with inequality is sound?

... Does he think that inequality is a black vs. white thing? .... If so, he should collect his last fat paycheck and dedicate (educate) himself on world history.

The paradigm mentality he has is not serving him well.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #202
NoleinJax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamryan View Post
You would be betting wrong but thanks for assuming you know me based off of two post. I sure hope your more careful with your vote

I was referring to Kaepernick
Old 08-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #203
Jay9Suited

There are plenty of ways you can voice your opinion and distaste for the current state of this country other than by disrespecting the people who have fought and died to make sure we have those rights. His actions were lazy, selfish, and did nothing to help his cause.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #204
HighGradeLegend
Banned - PBM

probably too late to sell his cards now.

broncos must be glad they missed out on that trade!
Old 08-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #205
jGarretson1

To disrespect the country that has afforded him the opportunities and fortunes he acquired is only made more offensive by the fact that his life is the personification of the ideals I see in the American flag and National Anthem: a biracial child, raised by white parents, and who has accomplished much despite his "oppression." In how many more nations around the world can a story like that come to fruition?
He made valid points, I'm not ignoring that there are still issues with race in America. However, he is ignoring the positive ideals of America that every colored person who has ever served, fought--while some died--for, by refusing to stand. Proper action is exactly that, action, not the inaction of not standing because he couldn't think of a better way to protest."

Dorian Majied A minority Army Rangers Veteran.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #206
tennelson55

Soooo many white folk in here. It's insane. White supremacy isn't the way here folks.

What Kaep did wasn't disrespecting anyone or anything. He stood up for what he believed would bring awareness to a subject in which is in controversy. Kaep focused on himself in this matter and focusing what he can control - himself. If you're offended by someones actions, maybe look at what that individual is trying to accomplish and not your own beliefs.
99-00 topps east/west, 04-05 ud black diamond gemography autos, 08-09 topps chrome orange refractors, 09-10 certified, 10-11 donruss cracked ice, 11-12 limited xrc non autos, 12-13 prizm, 12-13 brilliance spellbound letters
Old 08-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #207
ka13cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennelson55 View Post
Soooo many white folk in here. It's insane. White supremacy isn't the way here folks.

What Kaep did wasn't disrespecting anyone or anything. He stood up for what he believed would bring awareness to a subject in which is in controversy. Kaep focused on himself in this matter and focusing what he can control - himself. If you're offended by someones actions, maybe look at what that individual is trying to accomplish and not your own beliefs.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #208
packman80

Quote:

He disrespected anyone and everyone who has fought for the flag and even more so who has died defending it. Kaepernick has been and always will be nothing but a egotisc jackass.

Kaepernick is half white who was adopted by white parents and raised in white neighborhoods and is rich. This guy knows about being oppressed as I know about nuclear physics.

How about Kaepernick actually speaks up about a real issue like the black on black crime instead of his BLM bull crap that he has all over his twitter page.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #209
Ray27Ray52

Quote:

This mentality is absolutely insane. It is beyond comprehension. When Kaepernick refused to stand he pissed on the sacrifice that millions of military members have fought for since the inception of our country. His lack of respect for that sacrifice has earned him well deserved scorn.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #210
Astros19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoriteGuy View Post
Something many don't seem to understand or have apathy to, is that most minorities fear the cops MUCH more then the criminals.

I get profiled regularly.

My house burned down in April. While it was burning, I spent over an hour in the police wagon, parked in the middle of the street for a large group of neighbors, while the police tried to figure out if it was a meth house...it wasn't. Two weeks into spring with no rain, there were hundreds fires all across the state and dozens in the city that week. They wouldn't even let me have some burn spray a neighbor bought for me....I had 2nd degree burns on my hands from trying to fight it, and a dozen or so other burns. High Kansas winds....there was nothing I could do.

Why are you holding me? "It was more likely you then not." What was likely me? "You know better then me." Look, I have burns all over me...can I have the burn cream that lady is holding for me. "Sorry, can't pass things to prisoners."

One of the worst things about losing the house...no insurance, paid cash....is that I had to get rid of my dogs. A neighbor took them a block over. One of those dogs I got at the humane society 16 years ago. I basically abandoned her and will never forgive myself. So I found some dog food not damaged in the fire and was bringing it over......got stopped by the police for carrying bird seed. It wasn't bird seed....and I am pretty sure there is no bird seed law.

I was harassed by the Police later as well.....this is all in the same day. And this is not the first day like that (well the police part...losing almost everything to fire is new). And I don't live in a bad neighborhood, nor do I have a record. I am however, not white. My dad met my mom in the Philippines, while recovering from a bullet. He served two tours in Nam, earning two purple hearts. I am the third son, born in Kansas....but I would be a first generation American.

I would raise my fist with Carlos and Smith, and would have no problem joining Black Lives Matter in protest. We have came a pretty far way in breaking down the race walls. But it is not the next media sensationalized police shooting that will make some join the adjoining protest. It's the uncountable times they had spent, like me, in a police car for no reason, while their house was burning. Ask yourselves, how many times would it take you to carry anger?
I believe most people understand what you're saying and what you've been through and truly believe that you were treated horribly.
I know I do anyways.
I also do believe incidents like yours happen, and it's wrong as wrong can be.
With that said, I also believe that a lot, if not most, of the times that the word racism is tossed about, it's just not the reality.
I strongly believe that a lot of minorities use racism as an excuse for their bad behavior.
Certainly not every time, but more so than people inagine.
Now that feeling is not just limited to minorities, I also believe a lot of people, doesn't matter the color of their skin, tend to blame police brutality when the truth is it was the so-called victim who was at fault.
In otherwords, "the little boy who cried wolf" mentality has been way overused in our society as a whole.
I feel the false narratives tend to drown out the true examples of injustice in our society in today's world.
The media loves things like racism and police brutality and want every case to exactly that even when the facts tell a different story.
If I was a minority I would be just as upset at every false accusation of racism as I would true cases of racism as the false accusations tend to take away from the real examples.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #211
tennelson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
This mentality is absolutely insane. It is beyond comprehension. When Kaepernick refused to stand he pissed on the sacrifice that millions of military members have fought for since the inception of our country. His lack of respect for that sacrifice has earned him well deserved scorn.
I don't see it as Kaep disrespecting anything but I do think he's trying to make a point in which blacks have a tougher life/upbringing on a general basis (oppression). I think he's spot on too. Blacks are continually oppressed and it's a culture in the US that probably won't change.
Kaep doesn't even see his actions as disrespectful to the vets/country and that's fine; I'm just not going to say he's disrespecting them. He may be ignoring/looking past those subjects, but I don't think he's going out and full fledge FU veterans. His point is greater IMO and I acknowledge he's setting a standard. I hope he's ready to face scrunity as he is already facing it.
99-00 topps east/west, 04-05 ud black diamond gemography autos, 08-09 topps chrome orange refractors, 09-10 certified, 10-11 donruss cracked ice, 11-12 limited xrc non autos, 12-13 prizm, 12-13 brilliance spellbound letters
Old 08-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #212
Jay9Suited

Quote:

There are plenty of black folk who are just as disgusted by what Kaepernick did. The national anthem is played before sporting events to honor those who have fought and died to protect our freedom and allow us to watch/play a game such as football. To not respect those who defend our country is far more than a race issue.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #213
bwallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman80 View Post
He disrespected anyone and everyone who has fought for the flag and even more so who has died defending it. Kaepernick has been and always will be nothing but a egotisc jackass.

Kaepernick is half white who was adopted by white parents and raised in white neighborhoods and is rich. This guy knows about being oppressed as I know about nuclear physics.

How about Kaepernick actually speaks up about a real issue like the black on black crime instead of his BLM bull crap that he has all over his twitter page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
The people who sacrificed for this country have ensured him the right to do what he did. It is extremely ironic that some of you don't get that.

Being allowed to express disdain't by not standing for a national anthem is a textbook example of freedom.

Freedom is not about forced patriotism and being told what, how and when to do things your entire life.

If one fights or sacrifices for ideals they truly do not understand that is their own problem.

Freedom of speech is not meant to protect uncontroversial, warm fuzzy words but those that others wish to be silenced because they disagree or are uncomfortable.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/bwallstreet13357/library/Lavonte%20David%20PC?sort=4&page=1

Last edited by bwallstreet; 08-28-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #214
packman80

Quote:
I don't see it as Kaep disrespecting anything but I do think he's trying to make a point in which blacks have a tougher life/upbringing on a general basis (oppression). I think he's spot on too. Blacks are continually oppressed and it's a culture in the US that probably won't change.
Kaep doesn't even see his actions as disrespectful to the vets/country and that's fine; I'm just not going to say he's disrespecting them. He may be ignoring/looking past those subjects, but I don't think he's going out and full fledge FU veterans. His point is greater IMO and I acknowledge he's setting a standard. I hope he's ready to face scrunity as he is already facing it.
I call BS that blacks are oppresed so much over other races. If you are willing to go to school get a education get a job and work hard you can have a good life. To me it's a cop out to say I have no job no money I live in a poor side of town. Often those people don't even try to better their life as it's easier to blame everyone else for their troubles then fix their own life. This is not a black thing either I have seen plenty of whites act like they should be given things instead of working for them. You don't want to work for something you don't deserve a darn thing in life.

Last edited by packman80; 08-28-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #215
Jay9Suited

Quote:
How does choosing not to stand for the national anthem make this point? He could have had a press conference and voiced his opinion.. wrote a letter like Michael Jordan and ESPN would have aired it. At least people would have listened to what he had to say since it is a respectful way to go about it. Instead he chose one of the laziest, pointless, and most controversial ways to get attention. This did nothing to help his cause, only to stir the pot.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #216
chezball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
Nobody has said you people do not have the right to disagree with him.

You guys have called for him to be fired and for people to leave the country if they don't like the way things are instead of trying to prompt change and make the country better.

I never said Hitler, Nazi or Germany and never implied/meant to imply such. What Kapernick did and said was politically incorrect, not illegal in this democracy. He would have had major repercussions in any totalitarian state.

How do internet forum users flaming about his actions help their cause? Do the strongly worded posts in this thread change anything or make the user feel better about themselves?

Do you guys stand up and salute everytime the national anthem comes on your television? I truly do not see the difference. I stand and take my cap off but I recognize the right in this country to do simply not stand.

I am truly sorry that some of you guys do not understand the original intent and practical application of the 1st amendment and the constitutional rights guaranteed to all Americans. Our country was founded by dissenters who were sick of being told what they could/couldn't say and many men and women then and since have given their life for Colin Kaepernick and everyone else to have the right to have freedom. This is an example of freedom in the real world.
Funny how when you don't like something someone says you go running to the mods to report them.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #217
bwallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
Funny how when you don't like something someone says you go running to the mods to report them.
Now you are saying that you don't understand the difference between legal, constitutional protections and forum rules?

A certain member harassed me and was dealt with accordingly per forum rules.

NFL's position is clear, players are encouraged to stand for national anthem but are not required.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/bwallstreet13357/library/Lavonte%20David%20PC?sort=4&page=1

Last edited by bwallstreet; 08-28-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #218
Samiamryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astros19 View Post
I believe most people understand what you're saying and what you've been through and truly believe that you were treated horribly.
I know I do anyways.
I also do believe incidents like yours happen, and it's wrong as wrong can be.
With that said, I also believe that a lot, if not most, of the times that the word racism is tossed about, it's just not the reality.
I strongly believe that a lot of minorities use racism as an excuse for their bad behavior.
Certainly not every time, but more so than people inagine.
Now that feeling is not just limited to minorities, I also believe a lot of people, doesn't matter the color of their skin, tend to blame police brutality when the truth is it was the so-called victim who was at fault.
In otherwords, "the little boy who cried wolf" mentality has been way overused in our society as a whole.
I feel the false narratives tend to drown out the true examples of injustice in our society in today's world.
The media loves things like racism and police brutality and want every case to exactly that even when the facts tell a different story.
If I was a minority I would be just as upset at every false accusation of racism as I would true cases of racism as the false accusations tend to take away from the real examples.

That's what you took from that story? Wtf people!?!?! Talk about "head in the sand" mentality...
Old 08-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #219
tennelson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9Suited View Post
How does choosing not to stand for the national anthem make this point? He could have had a press conference and voiced his opinion.. wrote a letter like Michael Jordan and ESPN would have aired it. At least people would have listened to what he had to say since it is a respectful way to go about it. Instead he chose one of the laziest, pointless, and most controversial ways to get attention. This did nothing to help his cause, only to stir the pot.
He could have written a song for all that it matters...
He chose to do something that would in his eyes grab the attention of many. I don't even agree with what Kaep did either, because he is somewhat disrespecting the country, but I don't think he's intentionally saying FU. He's attempting to express his beliefs and opinions in a way to get eyes and maybe more traction. He is stirring the pot, but isn't trump stirring the pot as well? People stir the pot to get a reaction and Kaep did just that. The more the pot you stir, the more chaos is likely to happen but it also gets individuals psyched up.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #220
Astros19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamryan View Post
That's what you took from that story? Wtf people!?!?! Talk about "head in the sand" mentality...
Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong point.
How exactly is that head in the sand mentality.
I get it, you believe every single accusation of racism has to be in fact, racism.
I don't.
And I truly believe every time someone falsely uses the racism card, it takes away from real racism.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #221
ILOVEBEER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman80 View Post

I read a funny article that showed Colin's walls of Nike shoes he was bragging about. He has no issues with Nike oppressing people in sweatshops, giving them pennies an hour. I guess your swag is more important.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-in-his-garage

Last edited by ILOVEBEER; 08-28-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #222
Davesportscards

Quote:

Got a problem with white people?
Old 08-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #223
Jay9Suited

Quote:
He could have written a song for all that it matters...
He chose to do something that would in his eyes grab the attention of many. I don't even agree with what Kaep did either, because he is somewhat disrespecting the country, but I don't think he's intentionally saying FU. He's attempting to express his beliefs and opinions in a way to get eyes and maybe more traction. He is stirring the pot, but isn't trump stirring the pot as well? People stir the pot to get a reaction and Kaep did just that. The more the pot you stir, the more chaos is likely to happen but it also gets individuals psyched up.
That is exactly what this country needs right now.. More chaos.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #224
Niners Fan 1976

Whether you agree or disagree with him the fact is as a qb he has always sucked. His 15 minutes of fame began with some lucky plays. That got him in commercials and partying with celebs, but after seeing how his skill truly was he lost a lot of the TV time and fame that came with it. Now he wants it back. There's better ways to let your voice be heard. Go speak to communities and try to find solutions to the problems. And if he want to be a starter again? Learn to read coverage and throw more than 10 yards.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #225
RandyB

I heard about this "stance" he took on the radio this morning, while I was heading to work on a Sunday morning to mix mortar and lug blocks in the 95 degree heat. It was hard for me to feel bad for him and his multimillionaire teammates. I know he'll say that he's standing up for all oppressed people, maybe he should talk to our African America president about the issue. Colin should focus on earning his millions as a quarterback and save his political career for later, after he fails again in the NFL.