Blowout Cards Forums
2018 football

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Topps Now

Notices

Topps Now Post your Topps Now Hobby Talk

Old 06-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #4676
monkeymcgee

And even if you stopped buying (or never bought at all), you can still have an opinion about the product. I'm sure Topps might be curious why people who were spending a good deal of money on Now stopped buying.

I get a little tired of the gatekeeping.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #4677
OscarOne

I kind of thought Shane Bieber would have gotten a card after that last start. He was awesome yet again--he is now 3-0 with a 2.22 ERA, and he even got a hit!
"Sports and gambling, whether pursued from a desire of gain or the love of pleasure, are as ruinous to the temper and disposition of the one addicted to them, as they are to his fame and fortune." - Richard Burton
Check out my site at wahoocardboard.com --Every base Topps Indians card 1952-present
OscarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #4678
BH34

Amed Rosario had three walks last night --
He had three walks in 2017 (46 games).

Mets fans would unanimously agree that this was a monumental achievement.

TN card please?
Old 06-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #4679
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
And even if you stopped buying (or never bought at all), you can still have an opinion about the product. I'm sure Topps might be curious why people who were spending a good deal of money on Now stopped buying.

I get a little tired of the gatekeeping.
You have a good point Topps would love to know this stuff...but I get tired of hearing the same arguments (too many cards and the over statements about some of the cards being not worthy), I mean it was copied and pasted that time. The set is not about (just records you deem worth a card)...though they do over do the rookies from NY for some little things, the set is suppose to be fun for all and chronical the season. Do they reach, sure, sometimes but just as you tire of my “gate keeping” I tire of this argument.
It does seem that they are listening and have cut back on some cards that could have made some folks day...instead you and the other (too many cards crowd) feel that not making a card that would make someone happy is better because you didn’t think it was worthy! Like was said up thread...why do you hate fun? It’s not like you “Have to buy it”
http://toppsnowtoday.com/
joejoemay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #4680
HadWayTooMuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoemay View Post
You have a good point Topps would love to know this stuff...but I get tired of hearing the same arguments (too many cards and the over statements about some of the cards being not worthy), I mean it was copied and pasted that time. The set is not about (just records you deem worth a card)...though they do over do the rookies from NY for some little things, the set is suppose to be fun for all and chronical the season. Do they reach, sure, sometimes but just as you tire of my “gate keeping” I tire of this argument.
It does seem that they are listening and have cut back on some cards that could have made some folks day...instead you and the other (too many cards crowd) feel that not making a card that would make someone happy is better because you didn’t think it was worthy! Like was said up thread...why do you hate fun? It’s not like you “Have to buy it”
Let's go back to 2016. The cards at a moderate release sold pretty well. But the program hasn't grown as much as any of us thought it would.

The program cannot handle 7-10 card days. There are not enough buyers. Whether you want there to be or not, they aren't there. When there are 7 cards and most have a print run of under 250, though the low PR is good if you like the program long term, it's not good from the eyes of Topps.

I know as a buyer who has spent way too much on Topps Now, I'm running out of funds. I can't sell items well enough to keep up with the new cards. I can only imagine the rest of the non Platinums who want to participate but keep seeing 5-10 card days and saying between On-Demand, Throwback Thursday, Living, and Now, it's just too much.

Now of course, nobody, not me, not you, has to have ever card. That is why I'm a bit choosier now. But I want to see the program grow, not stagnate. And if the PRs continue between 150 and 250, the program is NOT growing.

If it was 2-4 cards a day, maybe, just maybe, PRs would increase as people would not run out of money. And MAYBE, just MAYBE, people would spend more money on older cards. Just MAYBE.

My 2 cents!
Old 06-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #4681
monkeymcgee

Quote:

You're a great ambassador for the product, Joe. Your posts are actually what got me interested in Now. I just think there are room for other opinions and disagreeing with you on some points doesn't mean people are wanting Now to die. On the contrary, I think the fact people post their thoughts about changes show people like the program.

And who knows why they have cut back. I doubt it's because some people here mentioned that idea, but maybe you can ask them when you meet up with them in DC. There may be another explanation for it.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #4682
Monty

Today's "possible" offerings...

Broxton

CC

Harper/Soto (or Arenado/Harper)

Wild Card - Lorenzen lasers 2nd HR in less than a week. (Ohtani who?)
Monty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #4683
Yaga

Why haven't they done a Soto auto yet!?
Yaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #4684
tscbaseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Today's "possible" offerings...

Broxton

CC

Harper/Soto (or Arenado/Harper)

Wild Card - Lorenzen lasers 2nd HR in less than a week. (Ohtani who?)
Could also do a card for Yoshihisa Hirano for breaking the Diamondbacks straight scoreless appearances record with 25. He's even a rookie from Japan so they could even do a Japanese version of the card if they wanted.
tscbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #4685
Monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscbaseball View Post
Could also do a card for Yoshihisa Hirano for breaking the Diamondbacks straight scoreless appearances record with 25. He's even a rookie from Japan so they could even do a Japanese version of the card if they wanted.
That would be a nice one. Holding my breath now...
Old 06-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #4686
tscbaseball

Quote:
That would be a nice one. Holding my breath now...
Currently his only rookie card Topps has made was in the RTOD set. I'm surprised he doesn't have any others yet. I was kinda expecting him to get a Stadium Club card.
tscbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #4687
Hallco

Gleyber/Devers with Mantle reference...that should sell a few! Great action shot as well!

Last edited by Hallco; 06-30-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Hallco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #4688
kpete42

Damn...was hoping CC would have his own card today. They had to ruin it by having him share a card with the dirty Sox! Lol.
kpete42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #4689
Monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaga View Post
Why haven't they done a Soto auto yet!?
His first walk-off hit/HR should grant the answer to your question.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #4690
Yaga

Quote:
His first walk-off hit/HR should grant the answer to your question.
I just would've thought one of his 2 hr days would've been a great opportunity
Yaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #4691
HadWayTooMuch

Okay, let's discuss the 7 cards today. In my best JoeJoe voice:

Card #1 - RIVALS MEET WITH RECORD-HIGH WINNING PERCENTAGES - YANKEES/RED SOX MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 380 - Record high win percentages is pretty cool and it's the Red Sox/Yankees. I can see it as a card highlighting the season.

Card #2 - YOUNGEST YANKEES PLAYER TO TRIPLE SINCE MANTLE IN 1952 - GLEYBER TORRES MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 381 - AKA "Let's make another Gleyber card." Seriously? They could do this with everything this guy does until the end of the season. "Youngest Yankees player to ground into a 3-6-3 double play..."

Card #3 - FIRST TEEN IN MLB HISTORY WITH A FOUR-HIT, TWO-HR GAME - JUAN SOTO MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 382 - AKA "Let's make another Soto card." I would be okay if this was "First teen in MLB history to have a 4 hit game OR a 2 homer game." But combining them both is kind of a stretch to me. "First teen to double to left center in the same game he bunts for a hit."

Card #4 - 25 HITS, 20 BBS IN EACH OF SEASON'S FIRST 3 MONTHS - MIKE TROUT MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 383 - I never complain about a Trout card, but tell us why this is a big deal. On the surface, I'm not sure why this is card worthy. Is this an accomplishment?

Card #5 - ROOKIE COLLECTS FIRST MLB CAREER WIN IN SEASON DEBUT - SANDY ALCANTARA MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 384 - Worthy of a card. No description necessary.

Card #6 - TWO HRS AND DIVING PLAY IN CENTER HIGHLIGHT HUGE NIGHT - KEON BROXTON MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 385 - This one is interesting. I see this as a game with a season highlight. Am I overly impressed with 2 homers and a diving play? Nope. But it chronicles the season. I'm okay with it, but not necessarily worthy on a day with 6 other cards.

Card #7 - FIRST CAREER COMPLETE GAME LEADS SEATTLE TO FIFTH STRAIGHT WIN - MARCO GONZALES MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 386 - See above. This card chronicles the season so I'm not having a problem with it, but is it necessary with 6 other cards today?

Now I realize, this puts me in the "hater" or "negative" crowd, but I'm not. Again, I'm not Platinum but I have mid 5 figures invested in Topps Now. I believe it would be more successful with less crap and more worthy cards. Having 7 cards today is a joke and why I think this program is struggling.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #4692
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallco View Post
Gleyber/Devers with Mantle reference...that should sell a few! Great action shot as well!
Actually thought that was a stretch as soon as I saw it but the wife reminded me it’s a business and Yankees rookies sell.

As for others opinions, I will try and be more open and less aggressive on my defense. There is room for all opinions of course...it is after all a message board. I just hate to see things get negative...
Old 06-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #4693
kpete42

Any Plat members know if they are planning to do the all star sets again this year with autos?
kpete42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #4694
TwinsJake

Quote:
Actually thought that was a stretch as soon as I saw it but the wife reminded me it’s a business and Yankees rookies sell.

As for others opinions, I will try and be more open and less aggressive on my defense. There is room for all opinions of course...it is after all a message board. I just hate to see things get negative...

Lol that’s exactly what my thought was. Gleyber was a huge stretch but I’ll take another Gleyber RC any day. $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PayPal TwinsJake88@yahoo.com PM/E-MAIL Q'S
TwinsJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #4695
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post

Card #1 - RIVALS MEET WITH RECORD-HIGH WINNING PERCENTAGES - YANKEES/RED SOX MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 380 - Record high win percentages is pretty cool and it's the Red Sox/Yankees. I can see it as a card highlighting the season.

Card #2 - YOUNGEST YANKEES PLAYER TO TRIPLE SINCE MANTLE IN 1952 - GLEYBER TORRES MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 381 - AKA "Let's make another Gleyber card." Seriously? They could do this with everything this guy does until the end of the season. "Youngest Yankees player to ground into a 3-6-3 double play..."

Card #3 - FIRST TEEN IN MLB HISTORY WITH A FOUR-HIT, TWO-HR GAME - JUAN SOTO MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 382 - AKA "Let's make another Soto card." I would be okay if this was "First teen in MLB history to have a 4 hit game OR a 2 homer game." But combining them both is kind of a stretch to me. "First teen to double to left center in the same game he bunts for a hit."

Card #4 - 25 HITS, 20 BBS IN EACH OF SEASON'S FIRST 3 MONTHS - MIKE TROUT MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 383 - I never complain about a Trout card, but tell us why this is a big deal. On the surface, I'm not sure why this is card worthy. Is this an accomplishment?

Card #5 - ROOKIE COLLECTS FIRST MLB CAREER WIN IN SEASON DEBUT - SANDY ALCANTARA MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 384 - Worthy of a card. No description necessary.

Card #6 - TWO HRS AND DIVING PLAY IN CENTER HIGHLIGHT HUGE NIGHT - KEON BROXTON MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 385 - This one is interesting. I see this as a game with a season highlight. Am I overly impressed with 2 homers and a diving play? Nope. But it chronicles the season. I'm okay with it, but not necessarily worthy on a day with 6 other cards.

Card #7 - FIRST CAREER COMPLETE GAME LEADS SEATTLE TO FIFTH STRAIGHT WIN - MARCO GONZALES MLB TOPPS NOW® CARD 386 - See above. This card chronicles the season so I'm not having a problem with it, but is it necessary with 6 other cards today?

Now I realize, this puts me in the "hater" or "negative" crowd, but I'm not. Again, I'm not Platinum but I have mid 5 figures invested in Topps Now. I believe it would be more successful with less crap and more worthy cards. Having 7 cards today is a joke and why I think this program is struggling.
I have to agree with you on most of these...
Old 06-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #4696
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post

No it doesn't put you in that...I am just overly positive. This is actually a great post and I agree with much of it. Many of these cards are borderline at best. I disagree that the program is struggling though...
Old 06-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #4697
HadWayTooMuch

Quote:
No it doesn't put you in that...I am just overly positive. This is actually a great post and I agree with much of it. Many of these cards are borderline at best. I disagree that the program is struggling though...
The program I believe is coming up to a turning point. It could turn well or not, depending on what Topps does. My hope is Topps goes in the right direction and makes necessary improvements.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #4698
ThoseBackPages

Gleyber is the youngest yankee to hit cleanup since Mickey Mantle
#LighthouseBONER
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #4699
TwinsJake

Michael Lorenzen PH Grand Slam. Another Reds card, Monty!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PayPal TwinsJake88@yahoo.com PM/E-MAIL Q'S
TwinsJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #4700
Americards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
Gleyber is the youngest yankee to hit cleanup since Mickey Mantle
That deserves a card!
Americards is online now   Reply With Quote