Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
SHowley2003

Default I Love a Good Conspiracy Theory: NBA & Refs

I'll drop this small data point and see if it raises any red flags. This was a discussion point on local sports talk radio today.

-Scott Foster has been the lead ref for 3 2nd round playoff games
-Each of the remaining 3 series is currently at 3-1
-Last year the NBA lost significant revenue due to playoff series being too short, to the point it had a significant and meaningful impact on the salary cap
-Scott Foster has been the lead ref in each of the 3 loses that have resulted in extending each series past a sweep.

If the name Scott Foster does not sound familiar any of the follow Google search keywords may help: NBA refs betting, Tim Donaghy, Scott Foster nba, NBA worst refs, 2007 NBA better scandal
Old 05-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #2
ThoseBackPages

LOVE IT!
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
JMarchand1981

This thread should get interesting. It will be excellent loaf-pinching reading later on.
JMarchand1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
GeechQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHowley2003 View Post
I'll drop this small data point and see if it raises any red flags. This was a discussion point on local sports talk radio today.

-Last year the NBA lost significant revenue due to playoff series being too short, to the point it had a significant and meaningful impact on the salary cap
-Scott Foster has been the lead ref in each of the 3 loses that have resulted in extending each series past a sweep.

If the name Scott Foster does not sound familiar any of the follow Google search keywords may help: NBA refs betting, Tim Donaghy, Scott Foster nba, NBA worst refs, 2007 NBA better scandal
The league’s revenue is tied to a multitude of things, namely the broadcasting rights. ABC doesn’t pay the league any more money if the Finals go 4 games or 7 games, as the NBA has already been contracted and paid for its Finals/Playoff broadcast rights.
GeechQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #5
SHowley2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeechQuest View Post
The league’s revenue is tied to a multitude of things, namely the broadcasting rights. ABC doesn’t pay the league any more money if the Finals go 4 games or 7 games, as the NBA has already been contracted and paid for its Finals/Playoff broadcast rights.
No true. Last year the league had to return money to the networks due to lost revenue from not enough product. That was why the final salary cap came in under projections. Heading into the finals last year the Cavs and Warriors had combined for 1 loss and there were significantly fewer playoff games as a whole than the annual average.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-to-99-million
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
realreodeal

Quote:

Attention whore - that’s my call.

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/realreodeal/
realreodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
blackbears86

I don't know about conspiracy, but he's a terrible ref. You would think the NBA would use half decent refs for the playoffs.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
SHowley2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by realreodeal View Post
Attention whore - that’s my call.
Who? Me or Foster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbears86 View Post
I don't know about conspiracy, but he's a terrible ref. You would think the NBA would use half decent refs for the playoffs.
But doesn't that play into the conspiracy? His track record is well known. How does he keep getting such meaningful games?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #9
jj2

So far there's been four less games that the first two rounds last year. Will there be four more games played in the second round? How will they significantly extend it?

If they're trying to extend the number of games past that played last year then they're doing a terrible job.

Did Scott Foster make GSW lose by 19 to the Pelicans? What about the 76ers 11 point win over Boston. Seems unlikely.
jj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #10
SHowley2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2 View Post
So far there's been four less games that the first two rounds last year. Will there be four more games played in the second round? How will they significantly extend it?

If they're trying to extend the number of games past that played last year then they're doing a terrible job.

Did Scott Foster make GSW lose by 19 to the Pelicans? What about the 76ers 11 point win over Boston. Seems unlikely.
I don't know, could a 12-1 free throw discrepancy in the first half of said C's-Sixers game make up that 11 point victory?

For those who are going to take that response with 100% seriousness let me say I do not think the refs were the reason Boston lost that game. They were the lesser team last night and deserved to win. That being said the NBA has a long standing reputation of looking for refs to influence games and Foster was directly involved in the ref betting scandal.

Last edited by SHowley2003; 05-08-2018 at 08:45 PM.
SHowley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #11
clipperboy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2 View Post

You bring up a good point, he is very good at his job!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #12
realreodeal

Quote:
Who? Me or Foster?

But doesn't that play into the conspiracy? His track record is well known. How does he keep getting such meaningful games?
Foster...

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/realreodeal/
realreodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:05 PM   #13
jj2

Quote:
I don't know, could a 12-1 free throw discrepancy in the first half of said C's-Sixers game make up that 11 point victory?

For those who are going to take that response with 100% seriousness let me say I do not think the refs were the reason Boston lost that game. They were the lesser team last night and deserved to win. That being said the NBA has a long standing reputation of looking for refs to influence games and Foster was directly involved in the ref betting scandal.
But your conspiracy theory is that they're extending series so there's more games. But compared to last year that most likely will not be the case (there could actually be less).

So, what was the original point again?
jj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #14
GeechQuest

Quote:
No true. Last year the league had to return money to the networks due to lost revenue from not enough product. That was why the final salary cap came in under projections. Heading into the finals last year the Cavs and Warriors had combined for 1 loss and there were significantly fewer playoff games as a whole than the annual average.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-to-99-million
Wow. I was wrong. Had never heard of this and had read the opposite. Nice read and thanks for pointing that out.
GeechQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:09 AM   #15
8collector34

Should that be a suprise? Just look at soccer or the olympics. The people on the top are the most corrupt. Or look at UFC. They build up hype around mediocer fighers like Rodnda and McGregor and direct their careers like a movie. It is all about revenue in mainstrem sports an not who is the best athleat. Dont get confused.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én GT-I9515 eszközömről
Old 05-09-2018, 05:47 AM   #16
Oldschool42

They league and the networks should project any revenue they will receive on a 4 game series, the rest of the games would be bonus money for both the NBA and the TV networks.
Oldschool42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #17
brettmik59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool42 View Post
They league and the networks should project any revenue they will receive on a 4 game series, the rest of the games would be bonus money for both the NBA and the TV networks.
"Hi Scott, it's Adam. Look we could use a little extra bonus money this year..."
brettmik59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #18
rookies

The refs get I think 48k a game so as the series goes on they make more money. Even if theyre not the direct ref it gives opportunity and more games for the pool of refs.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #19
SHowley2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmik59 View Post
"Hi Scott, it's Adam. Look we could use a little extra bonus money this year..."
I love it! I don’t think it’s even that explicit though. Foster knows how to cook the books all it takes is “Hey Scott’ it’s Adam. I’m just wishing you a good game and hope you do your best work tonight.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookies View Post
The refs get I think 48k a game so as the series goes on they make more money. Even if theyre not the direct ref it gives opportunity and more games for the pool of refs.
That’s deep! I love it. That would mean the conspiracy is not just at the league level but also amongst the individual refs.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #20
JMarchand1981

Celtics don’t look good
Old 05-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #21
JMarchand1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarchand1981 View Post
Celtics don’t look good
Damnit. Wrong thread.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #22
SHowley2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarchand1981 View Post
Damnit. Wrong thread.
Go pinch a loaf!
Old 05-13-2018, 02:19 AM   #23
mooshoo9795

It's pretty obvious the refs have been at it for years. There are series where the teams that are less popular get bad calls. For example Sacramento vs Lakers decades ago. Horry made a huge shot but the Lakers shouldn't have even been in the game if the refs called it fairly. Former ref, Tim Donaghy, wrote a book about it. Seems pretty clear to me. Refs are sent memos to "watch for" certain players doing certain things.

Also, if you've been watching any of the games, I would expect that the TV networks are advised to play a role too. Maybe better TV contracts are given to those who comply. How many times have you seen some questionable calls and the NO replay?!!??! Ball is tipped out by two players and instead of showing the slow-mo replay of the tip, they'll go back and show a 3 or something. This is one reason why I've watched less and less NBA games over the years - combined with players loading up on like 5 teams...To me it seems too rigged and the underdog almost never wins a series.
mooshoo9795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #24
Skybox

I take it that this theory has been blown up since all series ended 4-1 or 4-0 ?

refs do have influence over the games but IMO don't think they lean to either side however a hand full of calls can affect the total rather easily

The player that was, IMO, the biggest point shaver/slayer was Stephon Marbury ... I think that's part of the reason nobody made a fuss when he went to China to play & yes I'm being serious
Skybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #25
ballhawkdawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8collector34 View Post
Should that be a suprise? Just look at soccer or the olympics. The people on the top are the most corrupt. Or look at UFC. They build up hype around mediocer fighers like Rodnda and McGregor and direct their careers like a movie. It is all about revenue in mainstrem sports an not who is the best athleat. Dont get confused.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én GT-I9515 eszközömről
Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor aren't even close. Ronda was a pioneer in a newly popular sport (women's MMA) and was competing in a very shallow talent pool. Talent pool is still absurdly small (how many women compete in combat sports?), but the game passed her by. Conor beat legitimately talented fighters to get where he is, and is an incredibly talented fighter himself. He played a large role in creating the hype surrounding him.
ballhawkdawk is offline   Reply With Quote