Blowout Cards Forums
2024 Baseball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GRADING

Notices

GRADING For all grading talk - PSA, BGS, SGC, etc

View Poll Results: How much would it take?
$40,000-$49,999 2 2.63%
$50,000-$59,999 13 17.11%
$60,000-$74,999 14 18.42%
$75,000-$99,999 9 11.84%
$100k+ 28 36.84%
Couldn't pay me enough. 10 13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
jewcer2k5

Default What would it take for you to be a BGS grader?

Let's assume you qualify and pass the grading test. How much money would it take for you to work for BGS.

$20 per hour = $41,600 per year
$25 per hour = $52,000 per year
$30 per hour = $62,400 per year

(Just so you can break rough numbers down if that's how you think)

Please take into account your CURRENT life situation.
Currently employed? Live close by? Just out of school? Nearing retirement? Please be honest as I am very curious. (This by no means is me aski g for you to divulge it)

This is a public poll so people can see what you voted for. If you want to give a reason that would be interesting as well.

Last edited by jewcer2k5; 06-08-2018 at 10:56 PM.
jewcer2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
rutgersjpm

I gotta ask because it's relevant.

Flexible schedule with the opportunity to work from home?
Are we talking 40 hours a week?
Solid benefits?

With all of the above, I'd consider $25-$30 an hour. Without the flexible work schedule and a work from home option, no way I consider it for less than $80k. Seems to me that if a person focused that much time on grading their own cards they could make a lot more than $60k per year. Sure, more risk, but people that would pass the test are most likely comfortable with risk to begin with.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
Branesergen

When the 1st fiasco happened I debated it. I was in Dallas at a show and was going to talk to the rep about it. My situation is unemployed, no family, and only my house tying me down to the Houston area. I'd make 100k selling my house and could move to Dallas with absolutely 0 issue so I talked to the rep. Entry level you'll be lucky to break $12-15 an hour. Senior level maybe $20-25 an hour. Only a few can take cards home to grade. That was where my questions stopped.

As a grader you could possibly be required to travel to the rcr events as well.

Not worth it to me as a person who could use a job lol I picked 60-75k because that's what it would take just to get me to try it and see what it's really about. Anything less and I'll just go back to the oilfield if I need money. Staring at cards for 6-8 hours a day would suck.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
Stats

If you have a sharp eye to be a grader, I feel like you could work a regular job and just pick up singles for grading. You could potentially control your own income level then
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:52 PM   #5
crtsports

Cost of living in Texas would be a lot cheaper than Seattle, so that would play a big part in the salary range that I would be looking for.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
crtsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:59 PM   #6
majestik101

I would get burned out as I'm grading my tenth Ohtani Opening Day base rookie of the day
Old 06-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #7
Redsoxsoul

I voted the lowest amount simply because, while I believe I could pass the initial test, I've never done it as a pro before. In reality, with 4 kids in school including two I co-parent with an ex I couldn't move to Dallas. But considering I used to do accounting grading my tenth Ohtani Mega Box Refractor of the day would not get me down.
Redsoxsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
monkeymcgee

I think some folks are putting the cart before the horse. Do this for a couple of years, learn all the grading criteria and tricks, and then take your talents to South Beach to buy singles, grade, and profit.

If I was just out of college and qualified, I'd do that for $50K/year.

Now? No chance
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
smackvay

I could probably be an accurate grader as I’ve looked at thousands of other peoples cards and I hit the grade 9 out of 10 times. As for pay no idea what it would take.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2018, 10:55 PM   #10
jewcer2k5

12 people answered under 75k.

Would you expect that as a starting salary or would you train at a lower number with a salary around what you wanted as an end goal based on successfully training for the job?
Old 07-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #11
CardBoard4Life
Banned

Ive applied to collector's universe. My question was always, but wouldn't you also have to know about magazines and tickets, and how do they know about all the error cards, prototypes, variations, etc. Does all that have to come off the top of your head? Do they have databases of pictures from the card companies? Not afraid to admit it seems a little overwhelming, I mostly considered it to learn the ropes and use it for my own collecting/flipping purposes.
CardBoard4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
ih8ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardBoard4Life View Post
Ive applied to collector's universe. My question was always, but wouldn't you also have to know about magazines and tickets, and how do they know about all the error cards, prototypes, variations, etc. Does all that have to come off the top of your head? Do they have databases of pictures from the card companies? Not afraid to admit it seems a little overwhelming, I mostly considered it to learn the ropes and use it for my own collecting/flipping purposes.
If you are a starting grader at PSA, they will most likely give you basic low risk cheaper type cards. I know that PSA has hired two graders from within the company the last few months.
ih8ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #13
CardBoard4Life
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8ca View Post
If you are a starting grader at PSA, they will most likely give you basic low risk cheaper type cards. I know that PSA has hired two graders from within the company the last few months.
right on. thanks.
CardBoard4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:37 PM   #14
socal805
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardBoard4Life View Post
I might be wrong but I don't think the grader is the same person who's in charge of entering the item description. The grader only grades the condition of the item (cards, magazines, tickets, stamps, etc.)

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote