Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bb pre order

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
northwellguy

Default The Expanse

I am calling on all card companies (not Topps U Suck)...

Create a set for THE EXPANSE!!!

It was stupidly cancelled by SyFy (for no apparent reason) and picked up by Amazon after a huge campaign from fans

It has received the rare 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

It has won Hugo and Saturn Awards

Why is there no card set????????????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MowKgO0IeyU
Old 05-31-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Malavon

Wasn't cancelled for no reason. Viewership during initial broadcasts of the show was not very high (around a million per episode). Seems like a lot but when you look at other shows it's quite low. Something like the Walking dead has around 10M viewers on average (though lower this recent season), and even flops on the major networks have more than a million viewers.

The viewership wasn't that low for a SyFy show, but the Expanse has a bigger budget than most (or maybe all) SyFy network shows. The ad money from viewership simply wasn't enough to offset production costs.

Sci-fi shows like this do much between on VOD so I'm glad to see it picked up by Amazon. Love the show.

If anyone is going to pick this up and make a set it will be Rittenhouse, with Upper Deck as a distant second.
Malavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
afrederick12

This show surprised the hell out of me. It took me a few episodes, but damn if this show doesn't have some of my favorite "moments" in tv history. It's climbing the ranks of my all time shows.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
Marco7881

SyFy messed up big time with the show hoping to get more money from DVD and Online sales of Season 1 & 2. That limited viewership in today binge watching environment.

After season one aired, you could not even watch it on Syfy on demand (only the last 4 episodes were available) You have to get the DVD or buy it from Amazon or Itunes ect.

Then a few months before season 2 came out, they released season 1 on Amazon Prime .

They repeated this with season 2 as well.

Another issue is its only like 12 episodes or 13 and then like a 10 month wait till the next season. meaning its off peoples minds especially if they binged watched it over a weekend.

While i love that Amazon picked it up, it would have been better for the show to go to Netflix and let people binge season 1-3 before releasing 4. While prime is great they dont have near the viewers world wide netflix does. Im just excited for a season 4 of this amazing show though.
Marco7881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:09 AM   #5
808MadMacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwellguy View Post
I am calling on all card companies (not Topps U Suck)...Create a set for THE EXPANSE!!!
Just as before with Rittenhouse's GOT and James Cosmo - I'm putting it in writing. If they wrangle the rights: I'm down for a case.

Maybe my $800-$1K isn't a lot in terms of projected sales. But for a guy who does singles - it should be an indication of what money is out there. And with Amazon's fresh support of the show - this is only going to solidify fandom.

The stage is set. All someone has to do is bring the product to market.

There's money to be had for any company smart enough to tap in.

https://bit.ly/2KaKehv
808MadMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:18 AM   #6
cypher

This would be great set even if it was a one time license. Most of the actors were very vocal helping the fans persuade Amazon to pick up the show. I have a feeling they could get most of the main cast to sign. Miller might be the only one that might be tough.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:13 AM   #7
Cujobyte

Just curious if any of you guys read the books?
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
808MadMacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
Just curious if any of you guys read the books?
Used to be a monster reader.

At one point my entire immediate family of five, who were far apart and living completely different lives, were doing a combined 50-80 books a month. Not a joke or exaggeration.

It wasn't until we met up one freakish afternoon and compared notes that we discovered that we were simultaneously doing it (reading like crazy). We agreed that if there were a contest we would've contended for the prize. <g>

Myself, I only "contributed" about 4-6 novels of those per month = lowest.

But those days are long gone now. Sad. Wish I had the time and freedom to get back into it. Still left several series unfinished - including The Dresden Files. Ditto for GOT. Ditto... geez, I can't even remember their names. :-T

Again, if I had the financial freedom, I'd dive back in.

As it is - the tv series have to suffice. <shrug>

[Edited] Although I was really happy to have finished the complete 'Dune' series. That was a MONSTER investment of time; but worth it. :-D

Last edited by 808MadMacs; 06-24-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Adding additional thought.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
PoPCulture

Reading Sucks! Thatís the reason Motion Pictures and Television were invented .
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #10
808MadMacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
This would be great set even if it was a one time license. Most of the actors were very vocal helping the fans persuade Amazon to pick up the show. I have a feeling they could get most of the main cast to sign. Miller might be the only one that might be tough.
Agreed. Thomas Jane - very tuff signer. But, unlike GOT, his inclusion wouldn't be my impetus for purchasing the product - but it'd help - a lot. :-D

Love the entire Expanse cast. Any cast member's sig would be happiness. Though I would probably plunk down a bit more for Martian Gunnery Sergeant Draper/Frankie Adams. <g>

Tell you what: If some company got Jared Harris in ANYTHING - I'd be freakin' amazed. He's truly one of the impossible signatures.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #11
808MadMacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Reading Sucks! Thatís the reason Motion Pictures and Television were invented .
S'all good.

It's like that old saying. "I'll never live long enough to travel to the stars - but I can when I read."

Whatever 'takes' me to a place I'll never get to see, 'meet' people I'll never get to meet, and live a life I'll never get to experience - it's all good.

TV & Movies rock!
Old 06-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #12
Cujobyte

I know Pop WAS kidding, I’m a voracious reader and mostly why I quit these boards lately, and my standard T-shirt I wear at my bookstore is “the book was better”, almost always is.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #13
PoPCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
I know Pop WAS kidding, Iím a voracious reader and mostly why I quit these boards lately, and my standard T-shirt I wear at my bookstore is ďthe book was betterĒ, almost always is.
Yep, just kidding around. I try to get in a book per week. My eyes arenít what they used to be but Iíll plug away as long as I can.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #14
808MadMacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Yep, just kidding around. I try to get in a book per week. My eyes arenít what they used to be but Iíll plug away as long as I can.
I was smiling when I wrote my reply - I'm smiling now. :-)

Wasn't offended in the least.

Again, for me, whatever medium allows for that escape - I'm good with it.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
gdelan1

Would love to see a set of this and one for another fan campaign rescued series, Lucifer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote