Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
arek

Default Star Wars authentics

Looks like Topps is venturing out into signed photos. Some of the prices seem high compared to the cost of the trading cards

Link to their site
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
aclben

They cant go too low or they'd undermine the value of the cards they produce.
aclben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
Cardsharc

Plus it's a premium service I feel like you know there legit sognatures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cardsharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
okumeister

I looked at the website, and the choice on photos look really solid.
I don't know what is the market value of their autos are supposed to be, but I really like the look of products Topps put out there.
okumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
jason00

I think they are a little higher priced than I would like - $250 for a Felicity Jones would be the sweet spot for me. That said, I like the thought that there is another reputable company out there doing signings, and I hope they eventually do send-ins for anyone they have under exclusive contract.
jason00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
Vargaman

While most prices are higher than the cards, you can get a sweet Felicity Jones auto for less than market value of her sticker card.

All depends on what your collecting focus is, does it matter if it's a card or not? Kinda like how some people get Ford autos from Ender's Game because you want the auto primarily and character/set/source isn't important.

This is cool, but I'm hoping to meet some of the main cast at Celebration this year, after that I can look again when I know who won't be there, etc.
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Cardsharc

Well felicity jones topps cards go for around 500$ signed so depending on how many pictures she signed it may be a little expensive but your also paying for verification at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cardsharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
PoPCulture

Very interesting. I wonder if Topps could be taking over the autograph hall at Celebration, It looks like they already have everyone under contract that Official Pix had plus some other big names.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
moistpaper

As long as they're not going to slap little sticker autos on the photos and whatever else they want to sell!
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #10
jeterfan95

This should give everybody a solid idea as to how often we will see autographs from these actors/actresses in future sets. Commence the drop off in prices of the Felicity redemptions.
jeterfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #11
SDcardguy24

Topps has been getting more involved in autographed photosmemorabilia in baseball recently too. For baseball they are selling jumbo 8x10 signed versions of some cards so I wonder if they will try it with Star Wars.

I also noticed that they listed Riz Ahmed on one of the signed group photos. Hopefully that means he will be a signing cards too!
SDcardguy24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #12
GFD18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Very interesting. I wonder if Topps could be taking over the autograph hall at Celebration, It looks like they already have everyone under contract that Official Pix had plus some other big names.

I'm pretty sure Topps is taking over.

Question someone asked on their Facebook post:
"So are these the photos which will be at Star Wars Celebration in place of the other company that used to do them in the past?"

Topps official answer back:
"Yes. We will have more info on this soon"
GFD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #13
SDcardguy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD18 View Post
I'm pretty sure Topps is taking over.

Question someone asked on their Facebook post:
"So are these the photos which will be at Star Wars Celebration in place of the other company that used to do them in the past?"

Topps official answer back:
"Yes. We will have more info on this soon"
Official Pix always had a good selection of pictures to choose from. Hopefully Topps is similar.
SDcardguy24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #14
Dewman

It looks like there is a lot of variety in the pics on the Star Wars Authentics site, but they only have pictures from the live action movies. No Animated properties. At least, I couldn't find them.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #15
Jaysabz

This is so going to drive down card autograph prices.

Beautiful certified 8x10 On-photo signature of Daisy Ridley, first and last name, for $299.99:

https://www.starwarsauthentics.com/i...E-NHzWeDe0EQOo

Another beautiful hard-signed photo, of Felicity Jones, for $299.99:

https://www.starwarsauthentics.com/i...AtThEIqqYeoVJM

Instead of buying 3-4 hobby boxes of a certain set with a hope of hitting either of those autographs, I can buy them both for $600, hang them on my wall to be displayed under museum glass, and just purchase retail boxes of I want to complete the card sets.

Haven't purchased any Rogue One Series 1 boxes, but I think I'll purchase the Felicity Jones 8x10 and 3 retail boxes, which will almost guarantee a complete base set plus the hot auto for around $450, plus, if needed, purchasing a few singles off eBay if I fall short.
Jaysabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #16
xxmudgexx

Prices seem to be about right for signed and certed photos
Old 12-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #17
Kyle Babbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysabz View Post

Beautiful certified 8x10 On-photo signature of Daisy Ridley, first and last name, for $299.99:

Instead of buying 3-4 hobby boxes of a certain set with a hope of hitting either of those autographs, I can buy them both for $600, hang them on my wall to be displayed under museum glass, and just purchase retail boxes of I want to complete the card sets.

Haven't purchased any Rogue One Series 1 boxes, but I think I'll purchase the Felicity Jones 8x10 and 3 retail boxes, which will almost guarantee a complete base set plus the hot auto for around $450, plus, if needed, purchasing a few singles off eBay if I fall short.
Prices will always be higher for certified autographed cards, this is nothing new. Official Pix use to hold the license up until a few years ago. Even when they were cranking out Ford signings his authentic cards were still selling in the $2,000+ range.
Kyle Babbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #18
Jaysabz

Kyle, but what is the cost vs. return on the cards vs. the autographed photos?

If you are chasing a Daisy auto, you can buy a case of Masterwork for ~$1,200 or Chrome for ~$550 or Tek for ~$700. No guarantee you'll hit that autograph, or that you'll even get 50% back on your investment if selling.

Or buy it on a nice 8x10 photo, no sticker, for $300, and use the rest of that money for other cards or whatever. And the photo is much easier to display than a small trading card.

I'm not saying it will change everyone's buying habits, but it will change mine.
Jaysabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #19
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Babbitt View Post
Prices will always be higher for certified autographed cards, this is nothing new. Official Pix use to hold the license up until a few years ago. Even when they were cranking out Ford signings his authentic cards were still selling in the $2,000+ range.
I don't think one market impacts the other in the least. Autographed 8x10s have been around a lot longer than autographed trading cards. This is new for Topps, but is not new to the autograph hobby.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #20
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysabz View Post

I agree 100%. After buying a Daisy Ridley autograph poster from Steiner for less than $300, I'd take that over gambling on wax. She signed her full name, the poster came framed, it has a PSA/DNA and Steiner COA, and it's easier to display and make a statement. I get that cards are more collectible and will cost more money, I just want a nice autograph that I can display in my computer room.

I'll be getting a couple from them, that's for sure!
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote