Blowout Cards Forums
April Showers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #1
SHowley2003

Default What change with Panini’s rights?

2012-13 Immaculate was their final release of that season and it came out in late August if I remember correctly. The summer of 2013 was when the Celtics and Nets made their infamous deal. All of Paul Pierce’s Immaculate cards showed him in a C’s uni as that was the only pictures they had but listed his team as the Nets. I stayed away because despite some beautiful cards the Nets label was not for me. It was shared that due to NBA rights agreement that after a certain date the team had to change. This impacted many players that year. Saved me a ton of money.

Now we are in a period where 2016-17 product is set to be released in November, the season has started and we have no 2017-18 product. I don’t get it. I though August made sense and even that felt late. Not only does it confuse me but I know I would easily have boughten a box or two of Hoops or Donruss by now hoping to find a Tatum, Irving or Hayward. I think this new system hurts collectors and Panini. If it wasn’t for the odd circumstance of Simmons being delayed a year I think Flawless would ignored by many.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Pathora

Panini did really bad with the end of this year's releases, my guess is some of their big autograph names were slow in signing their cards so they had to push back the sets.

Hoops is kind of coming out when it should, maybe a week or two late but Donruss almost being a month after that is bad, mostly cause they don't want to dump 17/18 product too much in front of Flawless.
Pathora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
smalltown

Contenders should come out at the end of July. And maybe another College product in August. Hoops needs to be out just before the start of the Season. There should be no overlap with the previous season once Hoops hits.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Digerati

You would think that the best way would be to end the 17/18 Season with Immaculate and Flawless in late august or early september. Release Contenders mid september and then release Hoops the same week/day that the season starts.
I can't imagine this current weird release schedule being something that Panini likes.

https://www.instagram.com/AnthonyDavisCards/
Digerati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
oldgoldy97

Last year’s The Cup hasn’t even come out yet. The new hockey season will have been going on for close to a month when it does. I don’t get these companies.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
SHowley2003

Yeah I don’t get it either. I feel like 12-13 Panini sold well. There is still a lot of people chasing that stuff. You’d think they would build off of that. They really are lucky that collectors are still hoping to bust a Simmons or Ingram and now Jaylen Brown of Immaculate and Flawless would have taken an even deeper hit IMO.