Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Notices

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

Old 05-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Y2Hood

Send a message via Yahoo to Y2Hood
Default Not trading card related - Block: digitalsecurityassociates

This will be long:

Recently my boss discovered a horde of old computer equipment in a minimally used storage area left behind by a tech of days passed. A lot of it was sealed, though very dated. Almost immediately I was hit up to coordinate an eBay account for the office to see if there's any market for the stuff. To point, many of the items had wording indicating it was compatible with the newest greatest Windows XP.

I had low expectations and cautioned them against trying to sell anything on eBay especially as a new account. Instead of listening they had staff photoing items for weeks and filling out office created forms for eventual posting.

When I got around to it, all items were in a locked warehouse unable to be reviewed by me, so I listed based off the photos and hand written notes of my peers. As expected a few items sold but overall it's been a dead venture. A few Intel adapters gained interest at a $14 price point (we had or best offer on all of them but people have been buying them out right).

A user with the ID digitalsecurityassociates purchased one at $14 and paid immediately. He then sent a list, all caps, of instructions directing us to not put anything in the box indicating the price as it is a gift. Ship immediately and immediately email him the tracking number. Seemed strange to gift someone old equipment but there's a great community in card collecting, maybe there's a great community in computer part collecting.

When I got the item out of storage to ship it, I realized the seal was broken. I consulted with my boss and he said to give him one of the sealed ones and take the sealed one off of eBay. He said to mail both in the same box. Essentially, do anything to have a happy buyer since we can't have negative feedback on such low volume. So I did and off to New York they went.

Two days later another intel processor sold, same buyer: digitalsecurityassociates. He sent the same instructions in all caps, it's a gift, and he needs this one shipped to Altoona, PA. Immediately I got suspicious of this guy's "Gifting" but couldn't wrap my head around what scam could be had with this procedure.

I went about packaging it up and started researching what things could be afoot and learned that often times people use websites like New Egg or Amazon to sell items and then use Ebay to fill gaps in inventory. So, while I didn't necessarily like finding that out, it didn't seem like the office was going to ripped off in the end.

Until a few days later he filed for returns on both items saying they were DOA. Immediately we did our research with online phone books and successfully made contact with the New York recipient. He confirmed that he bought the item on New Egg for $25 and it works fine. He was also puzzled as to why there were two items in the box and was gracious that we wanted to make sure he got what he paid for. He affirmed he does not fool with eBay and this item was not a gift from a friend.

Our attempt to make contact with the buyer in Altoona failed. But, armed with what the gentleman in New York told us, I contacted eBay and explained what we discovered. Over the course of two phone calls over a period of a few days eBay started digging into this user's activity. I expressed our concern of the optics of this guy having 1000+ feedback to our 3. In talking to the eBay representative he said that he is seeing frequent instances of this account, as a buyer, filing complaints for returns. He also noticed frequent occurrences of him having his purchases sent to different addresses nation wide. He found multiple names used and a bunch of other suspicious activity.

eBay eventually sided with us after a combined two hours of phone calls. The gentleman stressed that eBay gets a bad rap for only siding with buyers and that they should be considered a safe space for sellers. He also said I was not required to make any contact with the buyer, eBay was handling everything. Our funds were unlocked and they would not be taking the money out of our account.

Buyer has left a negative feedback, so I get to now experience that phone call.

Anyway, digitalsecurityassociates is not affiliated with our hobby but I'm sure some of you aren't exclusive to trading cards when selling on eBay.

Last edited by Y2Hood; 05-21-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Y2Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Branesergen

Any time they put notes about receipts and such you know they are a drop shipper. I automatically cancel, send them a note stating I'm not a dropshipping source and block them.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Y2Hood

Send a message via Yahoo to Y2Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branesergen View Post
Any time they put notes about receipts and such you know they are a drop shipper. I automatically cancel, send them a note stating I'm not a dropshipping source and block them.
And honestly, I've been off and on fooling with eBay since college and I've *never* heard of this. And right off the bat you know exactly what I'm talking about.

We're still scratching our heads on this user accumulating 1200+ feedback and no problems before this. We're hopefully putting this behind us soon.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
hche

So the item was not shipped to the address listed on the ebay account?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
shrevecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branesergen View Post
Same here, also some of the reshippers will send huge lists of demands on their packages you send them. I usally just ship and then block them from future purchases.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
shrevecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hche View Post
So the item was not shipped to the address listed on the ebay account?
No they have you ship direct to their customer. You can change the ship to address for payments you send and it will be covered.

When they want you to ship to a different address than listed is to refund cancel using something wrong with buyers address, block and report them.

As far as the neg goes if the cases were decided in your favor the feedback should be easily removable.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
Miss Lizzy

Wow, the only feedback they've even left has been all negative.
eBay should probably just go ahead and boot them.
Miss Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #8
Branesergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Hood View Post
And honestly, I've been off and on fooling with eBay since college and I've *never* heard of this. And right off the bat you know exactly what I'm talking about.

We're still scratching our heads on this user accumulating 1200+ feedback and no problems before this. We're hopefully putting this behind us soon.
The fun ones are the ones drop shipping on Amazon. Amazon allows dropshipping but not from a retail source so it's fun to find your item on Amazon and ship it with notes hinting at counterfeit items and watch them scramble lol "Look like the real one but a fraction of the price! Enjoy your $5.99 tickle me elmo!" When they paid $75 and sold it for $100 on Amazon lol