Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bowman draft

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
finfangfan

Default Why don't you buy ePacks?

Just wondering for those that are holding out, why don't you buy ePacks?
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

UpperDeckMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
Branesergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDeckMatt View Post
Hahahahahahahahah

I guess UD wants to know too lol
Old 04-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
jdhaugh11

Because they should be much cheaper than the original release, but they are not!
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Malavon

I've bought some epacks, but the main reason why ePack isn't worth it to me is the price, and more specifically price vs. value.

There are some products where I want to buy cases, but in general I enjoy (and surmise that many other do as well) opening just a few boxes to get a set of base, most of the inserts, and a few hits. ePack essentially forces you to buy a lot more for the same result.

Take Captain America 75th as an example. There are 60 base card and you get 4 per pack, and need 10 to get a physical card. This means you need to buy 150 packs, or about 8 boxes ($920) just for a set of base. Yes you can use trading to reduce this by a significant amount, but it's a bit much. I understand that this drives the big fishes to buy more for parallels but if you just want to buy a box, the value simply isn't there.

I also just simply don't like some of the releases. Doctor strange looks abysmal looking at the odds. I bought a retail box and got an auto and two memorabilia cards, which seems like an entire case's worth of hits for ePack. And Marvel Annual just seems like a way to dump excess cards from the physical releases that didn't sell (same with Dinosaurs)

Also, it's a huge trap for people that have an addictive personality in any way.

Last edited by Malavon; 04-21-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Malavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
kerg

Quite simply, too expensive for the odds.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
Faulkenburg

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

I buy ePacks, but you why I don't buy more.

Base cards: I want a base set in my collection. For aliens I bought one on eBay pretty cheap. Then I let it sit on my desk for 4 months before filing in a binder only to find out I'm missing a card. Granted, that's on me but I spent a good chunk of change on Aliens with UD, then paid someone else for a base set and still don't have all the cards.

Remember when cryptozoic was going to do those base plus basic insert sets at GameStop? I think they were going to be $14.99. That shows you how cheap base cards are. Both cryptozoic and GameStop stood to profit at that low of a price. I don't think it's asking too much to get a base set if I buy a ton of ePacks. It could be programed like an achievement or something that when you buy x amount of packs they ship you a base set. And I'm not looking for a one to one ratio. If one box typically yields a base set I am fine having to buy two boxes worth of ePacks to unlock that achievement. But a base set of 100 cards including shipping can't cost more than 7 Bucks. If I pay $250 or so for 2 boxes of aliens I don't think it's asking a lot to have a $7 base set mailed to me. Limit it to one per account and the exposed risk for upper deck is very minimal.

Speaking of Aliens, I'm still bummed about the six cards that were left out of ePacks. This is magnified when you look at the foil parallel cards. The foil is added after printing so those cards were made. Upper Deck could have found a way to distribute them. I get that they took out the cards due to gore. But then I pulled a sketch card that was 10 times bloodier than any of those. Just odd.

I think the pricing has been fair but there is a perception that it's too high because you only get one physical card per pack. Doing something about the base cards would go a long way towards helping that perception.

Shipping: I think someone needs to look into putting a cap on shipping. I understand the quarter per card concept but I'm still sitting on hundreds of alien foil cards and Marvel masterpieces base because I don't want to drop $100 on shipping charges. The quarter charge make sense until you realize the difference in shipping 200 cards and 300 cards is next to nothing, certainly not worth another $25 considering we did pay retail price for the cards.

With all of that said I'm a fan of the ePacks program. I look forward to future releases.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
Malavon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
Because they should be much cheaper than the original release, but they are not!
Agreed. Doctor Strange should be $1.99 packs (or lower) based on what you actually get in a box.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
PrestigeWorld

Also, the shipping is a real killer for me being in Canada. You have to pay for transferring cards and you have to pay a big duty if you hit anything big. Doesn't make much sense for me to pay the same as I would for the physical version of the product but get less cards. Masterpieces made sense because it was a low print product and prices sky-rocketed, but a lot of the other products don't seem as suited for epack. Marvel Gems probably could have had a second life on epack but instead we are seeing old products go live.
PrestigeWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
TheVolta

I don't buy any sort of packs. Never had much luck with them.
It also worries me that they just double or triple the potential printings.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
Super J
Banned

I will buy epacks, but not as much as I used to 2016MM. Why?

1. Shipping cost to ship cards that I transfer from ePack to COMC account is ridiculous! $0.25 per card and there's no cap! For example, if I buy a case of 2016 Marvel Annual, that would be 1200 cards, and the shipping cost would be $300 to ship from COMC. I don't think UD has disclosed this info...

2. The trading forum is too rigid. Text got blocked/censored/...too much restriction... too difficult to chat.

3. It's impossible to reload my account with cards once I have already transferred cards to COMC. Trading traffic will die if there's no more card to trade. This is what happened to 2016MM. This is why collectors use other platforms (blowoutcards forum/eBay) as a workaround trading method.
Super J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
finfangfan

Good points everyone. In regard to price, I think UD is listening. MA pack price is $2.99 vs. Dr. Strange's $3.99 and Captain America's $5.99. MA is definitely the best value of them all. It will be interesting to see what Spidey's price point is. If it follows the same model as the 3 most recent Marvel ePack releases, it will be 4 ecards + 1 physical insert per pack. I would hope it comes in at around the $3.99 price point for Dr. Strange, but I could see UD still selling a ton at the Cap price point of $5.99.

In regard to making base sets, it would be nice if they packed 5, not 4 ecards + the insert per pack. That way, in a 100 card base set, you would conceivably get a full base (granted all virtual) in a box. It kind of stinks collecting Marvel Annual and only receiving 80 ecard base from a 20 pack box. If a base card you are chasing falls within the 20 base that doesn't hit in your box, that kind of stings.

Another improvement, could be with the combining of cards. In MA, you have to combine 10 ecards to make 1 gold card (which is physical). Once you make 10 gold cards, you have the option to trade them in (i.e. sacrifice them) to make a red parallel card. That seems like a lot to give up to make the red. It would be nice if you could keep all 10 of your gold cards (or at least a portion of them) when you cash in the higher tier achievement. Perhaps, cards cashed in could be marked as "Redeemed" like the Cap foil cards, so that collectors could still have them mailed to them.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #13
Chuck Bartowski

Even the Dinosaurs set is expensive even if it has a relatively low price point because you need an astounding 20 copies of a base card to get a physical copy of the card. You don't get base dupes, and you don't get a full base set in a box so you have to buy more than 2 cases worth to get physical copies of the base set.
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
Even the Dinosaurs set is expensive even if it has a relatively low price point because you need an astounding 20 copies of a base card to get a physical copy of the card. You don't get base dupes, and you don't get a full base set in a box so you have to buy more than 2 cases worth to get physical copies of the base set.
Yeah... Marvel annual has the 10:1 ratio which is waaaaay better. The lower ratio also aids in more people chasing the base set, and in turn actively trading on the ePack website. ePack lives and dies on trade activity. Even if someone LOVED the Dr. Strange epack set, it would be nearly impossible for them to collect because no one was actively buying and trading.

UD could do a better job of adjusting price post-release to spark trade interest. Maybe they could introduce additional parallels post-release to spark new interest in an old set. For example, UD might consider introducing a limited edition red, white, and blue striped Captain America base set parallel that would be available for a limited time around the 4th of July (say 4 weeks?).

The occasional hot pack or hot box wouldn't hurt either.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #15
Super J
Banned

More suggestion for UD: ePack platform should transform into a Buy/sell market place as well, instead of just only trading. It should be a one stop shop. Look at how many 2016MM cards were sold on eBay and how much money eBay made out of these transactions (10%). That revenue could have contributed to UD if buy/sell function had been enabled for a fee (similar to eBay fee or less to drive more users).
Super J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #16
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super J View Post
More suggestion for UD: ePack platform should transform into a Buy/sell market place as well, instead of just only trading. It should be a one stop shop. Look at how many 2016MM cards were sold on eBay and how much money eBay made out of these transactions (10%). That revenue could have contributed to UD if buy/sell function had been enabled for a fee (similar to eBay fee or less to drive more users).
I think that move would kill trades though. Just like BIN killed (or at least severely curtailed) auctions on eBay. Once you bring $ into the ePack market place, it will just be the biggest wallets (i.e. 1%ers) buying up all of the best cards. You kind of still have that, but at least they have to buy a bunch of stuff to force people to trade to them.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
alantown

Where I live, selection is mediocre (and that's being kind). If I dare to order something I get reamed. Every. Time.

E-pack allows me to get some cool Marvel stuff when the spirit moves me, and I am thankful for that.
alantown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #18
Cujobyte

ALL OF THE ABOVE.

Also, physically opening the packs and the anticipation is part of the big fun for me. Slowly unveiling a sketch hit, or auto etc.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #19
Gambit C10

Epack is great for the instant satisfaction of busting packs.

I would buy more if all the base cards were real cards instead of digital. I just want to bust open packs and trade my way to a Marvel annual set. Given the size of the set, that's a lot of digital cards to accumulate. I don't care about foils when it comes to base sets.

There could still be a redeeming option whereby if you have a lot of base, you can trade them in for a foil version of the card.

Same principle as is now, but for those ballin on a budget, a much cheaper way to accumulate non foil base sets. It could theoretically be cheaper than buying boxes off ebay.

The trading aspect is what I love the most. It's quick easy and intuitive.
Gambit C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #20
Malavon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit C10 View Post
Epack is great for the instant satisfaction of busting packs.

I would buy more if all the base cards were real cards instead of digital. I just want to bust open packs and trade my way to a Marvel annual set. Given the size of the set, that's a lot of digital cards to accumulate. I don't care about foils when it comes to base sets.

There could still be a redeeming option whereby if you have a lot of base, you can trade them in for a foil version of the card.

Same principle as is now, but for those ballin on a budget, a much cheaper way to accumulate non foil base sets. It could theoretically be cheaper than buying boxes off ebay.

The trading aspect is what I love the most. It's quick easy and intuitive.
I think a great way to solve the dilemma of base cards would be to make the first base card you receive of each one be a physical card, then every one after that is digital which you can use for combining to get parallels.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #21
notoriousrmb

Paying full retail price for a pack of digital cards makes no sense to me. If the price was a bit lower, then sure, I'll chase digital cards hoping to make some physical parallels. But full price for mostly some .jpgs? Ugh.
notoriousrmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #22
Spider-Fan

1. If I wanted pictures of base cards on my computer, I could download them for free from ebay. I mean, seriously, the pictures aren't even that great. Use the original mechanical files to make a nice digital card. Nobody wants a scan of a physical card that they can't even redeem for an actual physical card.

2. The price points don't make sense for the contents.

3. The shipping costs are absurd. ABSURD!
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #23
arek

I was interested to buy Marvel Masterpieces epacks but couldn't because I live in Brunei and the site wouldn't let me buy them. If the same restrictions apply to other overseas markets then UD is missing out on a lot of potential customers
arek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #24
alantown

A nice purchase incentive would be to do a draw for some sort of cool prize. Monthly, weekly, what-have-you. Anyone who makes any E-pack purchase during that period gets ONE entry regardless if it's a pack or a case, so everyone has an equal shot.

Prizes could be sketches, autos, memorabilia, packs, "mystery prize", the well is deep. You could make a "Wall Of Winners" on the site.

We all love the chance to win something!
alantown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #25
Xazark

My biggest complaint is value, its just not there, the odds of hitting cards worth the admission price is so low that its just not worth buying more. MM16 was different, you had a fair chance of getting value out of the cards you bought.

In all honesty epacks should be better value than physical product because upper deck are cutting out the middle man and saving on the distributor cut. Yes, I understand they are dealing with COMC and probably paying them a slice, but there is no way they are paying COMC more than the profit margin they give to their distributors and even if they are, the value should be the SAME not significantly worse....
Xazark is offline   Reply With Quote