Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

Notices

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (Pre-1980's)

Old 03-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #1
nsucolonel

Default Man Cave under construction!!!!

I didn't know where to post this so since 90% of my collection is vintage cards and toys. Well like every collector I dreamed of one day having a room that I can show case my collection. Well finally I got my room when me and my wife decided to build a new house. The deal was that she get the whole house I get one room. Well thats all I need. (Really I need 2 or 3) So I just want to show off my progress. The first thing that I wanted was a room with no windows and it own AC system.

Then I went with a Gray color for the walls because I wanted to get a museum feel to the room. Once I got that I need to decided how to display my collection. I always dreamed of an all glass double sided display case. Well after a year of searching I found it.

The next thing was adding lights into it. So I went on and learned how to string LEDs.

After that it was time time to fill it up. Since this was the only was the only case I had at the time. I split it up as half baseball and half star wars.

Next on my list was finding a desk and a coffee table that had had a glass top to display items in. I added LEDs in the desk to display autograph balls. Also I need 5 Ikea glass cases which I added LEDs to also.

Then I was looking for a way to keep all those baseball and Star Wars prints that I have gotten over the years that probably will never be displayed. I ended up find a craft poster board holder. It works great!!!

A couple of other features I added was a electronic lock to the door, hidden gun closet, two camera that are linked to my security system and all the LEDS in all the cases are wired to a witch. So all i have to is flip a switch and all the cases light up. Im still in need of a couple of items. Im looking for 4 more curios and something like the old card catalogs that were used in libraries to hold my vintage card set and commons. Once I have that done I can start deciding what I want hung up in the room. That will be some hard decisions.

Here is a view of what I still need to go through. Plus more in storage.

If anyone has any idea how to store baseball cards (all vintage in top loaders and graded) please share your ideas. Im looking for almost an antique or furniture look.

Jason
nsucolonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
Cavaliercards

No pictures of the inside of the gun closet

Besides that, can you ask your wife if I can come over and play?

Absolutely amazing room. I am blown away.

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #3
mhcook

WOW

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #4
nsucolonel

Thanks guys!!!! It has been my dream for a long time. We have been in the new house for about 2 years now. Taking my time to do it right the way I want it.

Always looking for people to check it out who appreciate it.

jason
Old 03-17-2017, 01:28 AM   #5
ChaseYourCards

What a beautiful room. So cool to have this dream fulfilled, one I hope to do myself. You should be proud!!
Old 03-17-2017, 02:14 AM   #6
DJCollector1

Holy #$%^.

Very well done sir~!

I was going to say "you need to add in a Clemente", but then I think I saw his autograph on that Baseball Writers dinner book, right?
It looks like it across the top anyway.

Amazing.

I have but one bit of advice to you. Look into some insurance. There is 1-2 companies around that have affordable policies for collectibles like this.
I know if you look around the board here you can find them.
Protect what you have, its cheaper than you likely realize.
BTW- I have some original Star Wars figures I am looking to get rid of. (I had no intention of even mentioning it, but it looks like you are a collector)
LMK if you have any interest, they are from the original run, and for what its worth, I [I][B]DO[I][B] have a Blue Snaggletooth.

Amazing collection.

I PC - ROBERTO CLEMENTE, MICKEY MANTLE, HANK AARON, WILLIE MAYS, VINTAGE BASEBALL
DJCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #7
jstephens24

looks like you need your own house for your collection. another collector on here as a berg display case. able to display a bunch of cards but buying new they are kind of expensive depending on budget
jstephens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
Big35Hurt

This is beyond ridiculous and I love it. WOW! Do you charge admission for people to come see this?
Big35Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #9
smanzari

Great Setup! Where did you get those glass display cases?
smanzari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #10
Whodey14

Very nice room, I look forward to seeing the finished product... and I too am intrigued to see the gun closet setup..haha
Old 03-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #11
chipmaster

Very nice!

I have a large vintage SW collection as well! I love that signed ESB poster, do you have Ford's signature on it ? How long have you collected vintage SW?

And you wife didn't 'let' you have that room - she was probably like "Hell yes, build a room with no windows and put all of your junk in there!"........that's at least the way my wife is lol
Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #12
nsucolonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCollector1 View Post
Holy #$%^.

Very well done sir~!

I was going to say "you need to add in a Clemente", but then I think I saw his autograph on that Baseball Writers dinner book, right?
It looks like it across the top anyway.

Amazing collection.
Thanks.. It is a Clemente sig on the program at the top. Also I would be interested in seeing what you have vintage Star Wars wise.

Jason
Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
nsucolonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smanzari View Post
Great Setup! Where did you get those glass display cases?
The glass case is actually from a Hallmark that closed down. I bought 2 of them. They worked out great!!!!

Jason
Old 03-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #14
hockeyguyrich

Your star wars collection is awesome
hockeyguyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #15
nsucolonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
Very nice!

I have a large vintage SW collection as well! I love that signed ESB poster, do you have Ford's signature on it ? How long have you collected vintage SW?

And you wife didn't 'let' you have that room - she was probably like "Hell yes, build a room with no windows and put all of your junk in there!"........that's at least the way my wife is lol
I'm missing just a few sigs to call the poster done. I'm missing Ford, Lucas, Kershner and John Williams. I also have a cast singed ROTJ poster as well. All the signatures were acquired by me in person. I have been collecting Vintage Star Wars since I was a kid. So that would be since the early 80's. I hope to add a few more pieces when I go to celebration next month in Orlando. Always looking for Star Wars stuff that I don't have. So if you have anything for trade let me know. Also let me know what you are looking for anything. Are you going to Star Wars Celebration next month?

My wife told me as long as all my stuff stays in that room she will not say anything. Well I need more room. LOL.

Jason
Old 03-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #16
nsucolonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big35Hurt View Post
This is beyond ridiculous and I love it. WOW! Do you charge admission for people to come see this?
Free admission to anyone that appreciates my obsession. Just don't give that idea to my wife.

Jason
Old 03-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #17
chipmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsucolonel View Post
I'm missing just a few sigs to call the poster done. I'm missing Ford, Lucas, Kershner and John Williams. I also have a cast singed ROTJ poster as well. All the signatures were acquired by me in person. I have been collecting Vintage Star Wars since I was a kid. So that would be since the early 80's. I hope to add a few more pieces when I go to celebration next month in Orlando. Always looking for Star Wars stuff that I don't have. So if you have anything for trade let me know. Also let me know what you are looking for anything. Are you going to Star Wars Celebration next month?

My wife told me as long as all my stuff stays in that room she will not say anything. Well I need more room. LOL.

Jason

I wish I was going- I'm doing a family trip down to Florida in the summer so the time won't work out for me

I've had most of my collection since I was a child also- granted I've bought some pieces over the years, but at the current price levels I think I am finished. I have around 100 MOC and probably 200 loose that are vintage. 1995-newer I have probably 50+ cases of the damn things.

You definitely need to try and get Ford and Lucas on that ESB poster, but that will not be an easy task!

Nice collection, and post up some pictures when you get back from The Celebration.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #18
nsucolonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
I wish I was going- I'm doing a family trip down to Florida in the summer so the time won't work out for me

I've had most of my collection since I was a child also- granted I've bought some pieces over the years, but at the current price levels I think I am finished. I have around 100 MOC and probably 200 loose that are vintage. 1995-newer I have probably 50+ cases of the damn things.

You definitely need to try and get Ford and Lucas on that ESB poster, but that will not be an easy task!

Nice collection, and post up some pictures when you get back from The Celebration.
Same here on the prices. They are rediculous with pricing. I plan on picking some vintage up at the room sales. That's where you get the best prices. Dealers on the floor want an arm and a leg. I just got ride of a 10x20 size storage unit filled with 1995 to present.

Jason
Old 03-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #19
LOTSOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliercards View Post
No pictures of the inside of the gun closet
If you were to get a glimpse inside I'd bet Han Solo's blaster is in there!

Very, very cool room. My project is in a holding pattern after the Mrs. added a few items to my honey do list. I'll get there by Summer. Not bad considering construction was supposed to start last Summer.

Kevin
LOTSOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #20
nsucolonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguyrich View Post
Your star wars collection is awesome
Thanks for the compliment.

jason
Old 03-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
nsucolonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTSOS View Post
If you were to get a glimpse inside I'd bet Han Solo's blaster is in there!

Very, very cool room. My project is in a holding pattern after the Mrs. added a few items to my honey do list. I'll get there by Summer. Not bad considering construction was supposed to start last Summer.

Kevin
I wish there was a Han blaster in there. But there are a quit a few WWII era guns in there.

Take your time with it. Mine is going on 2 years now. As much as I want to finish it I keep telling myself to hold back. That way I don't rush it and make it the way I envisioned it.

jason
Old 03-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #22
Mark70Z

Default Room

Looks very nice to me! Keep on showing the progress as you go...
Old 03-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #23
jataman2612

Awesome collection but the room just looks too small for everything. Everything looks cluttered. Regardless, the baseball collection is jaw dropping.

I like the idea of the lights but I think it's a little over kill. Especially the baseballs on the desk.

Just my two cents...

Also possibly interested in current Indians (Not crazy about current card designs though)
jataman2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #24
nsucolonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataman2612 View Post
Awesome collection but the room just looks too small for everything. Everything looks cluttered. Regardless, the baseball collection is jaw dropping.

I like the idea of the lights but I think it's a little over kill. Especially the baseballs on the desk.

Just my two cents...

Right now it's very cluttered. But once all the boxes are out and I get the rest of my curios and card cabinets then it should be less cluttered. The room is 35x18. The picture doesn't do the desk justice. In person the lights are a lot dimmer.

Thanks for the input.

Jason

Last edited by nsucolonel; 03-18-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:34 AM   #25
DJCollector1

I think I know why it seems small.
Its a bit cluttered until he gets his final "layout" finished.
Plus there are no windows, and everything seems a bit closed in, otherwise it should make a fine room for his "toys", once he gets it all laid out a bit better.
Especially if the room is the size he says it is.

By the way - I sent you another PM nsucolonel.
Just something interesting, as a hardcore Star Wars collector, I am sure you know who Jason Wingreen is.
Wingreen was of course, the original voice of Boba Fett.
I used to be a dedicated autograph collector, and I have whats possibly the largest Twilight Zone autograph collection around.
Its in the hundreds of pieces. Several hundred signed 8x10s, checks, posters, restaurant slips, credit card receipts....you name it.
I was in close contact with many of the actors over the years. In fact my good buddy out in Los Angeles organized and put together the two big TZ conventions back in 2002 and 2004.

Anyway, point is, I have a number of letters Wingreen sent to me, in the 2005-2006 range. Most were concerning his roles on Twilight Zone of course, and various TV parts over the years.
He is not a necessarily tough autograph to obtain, but he is gone now as you likely know.
I do have some pieces here, including a few index cards signed by him, if you have interest.
They aren't necessarily extremely valuable, but if its something you do NOT have, then it would be a nice addition to your Star Wars collection indeed.
I know I have a few extras laying around, and we can probably work something out if you are interested.
Jason Wingreen was a class act, and very appreciative of his fans. (for those that don't know the name, he was basically sprinkled all over 60's and 70's episodic television.) If you watched a bunch of TV in the 60s and 70s, you probably knew his face, even if you didn't know his name.
In later years he was the bartender on "All in the Family/Archie Bunker" too.

In fact, essentially ALL the Twilight Zone actors (and to a lesser extent Outer Limits ) were extremely gracious to their fans and the public in general, and were extremely thankful to be a part of such an iconic TV show.
There were a few bad apples in the bunch, but that can be said of most everything I guess.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but the Star Wars stuff reminded me of the Wingreen items I have.

I PC - ROBERTO CLEMENTE, MICKEY MANTLE, HANK AARON, WILLIE MAYS, VINTAGE BASEBALL

Last edited by DJCollector1; 03-18-2017 at 03:41 AM.
DJCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote