Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Mad

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #1
Hiphipjorge
Banned - PBM

Default Does anyone know what this might be?

So I know that this is not a medical forum but I figured that there has to be a few doctors on here he would know what this might be. So today I went into my school swimming pool for the swim unit. The water was pretty cold but not absolutely freezing. About 10 minutes after being in the water I notice that all my finger nails are purple. A pretty solid purple too, not a light shade. I then notice that near my knuckles my skin is looking purple. I think after that I stayed in the water for about another 10 minutes and not much changed. I then took a hot shower afterward and everything went back to normal. Also, when I was in the pool I swam maybe half a lap and was completely out of breath to the point where I had to stop for a few minutes to catch my breath. I am a healthy 16 year old male who is about 5 foot 9, 125Ibs and plays baseball so I am not out of shape by any means. Does anyone know what the purple finger nails might be? Its probably nothing but it really freaked me out.
Thanks in advance.
Hiphipjorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
2012 SP COLLECT

Did some quick googling

It's OK to have your fingernails turn purple. As a PSC swimmer, I havit all the time. It's just your organs felling cold. Don't be scared, I have it all the time. Don't even bother to fix it. After 15 min. out of the pool, it should be all better.

Hope it helps.
2012 SP COLLECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
Hiphipjorge
Banned - PBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 SP COLLECT View Post
Did some quick googling

It's OK to have your fingernails turn purple. As a PSC swimmer, I havit all the time. It's just your organs felling cold. Don't be scared, I have it all the time. Don't even bother to fix it. After 15 min. out of the pool, it should be all better.

Hope it helps.
Thanks, that does help a lot. I’ve been in cold pools before and have noticed my fingers turning a little bit blue but never purple so that freaked me out a lot. It also didn’t help when I asked my health teacher if that was normal and she replied “maybe”. I just over reacted and assumed the worst. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
dbackschamp2001

I typed your symptoms into the thing up here, and it says you could have "network connectivity problems"
dbackschamp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #5
possom813

Raynaud's Phenomenon, maybe??

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20363571

I don't know though, I had heartburn once after a 99 cent burger and the internet said I was in cardiac arrest.
possom813 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
jcardstore

I looked on WebMD and it said you're dying. Sorry bud
Old 01-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #7
Boo

Don't listen to any of these guys, they didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #8
kerg

Purple nails? You're just going through a Goth phase. You're young, you'll grow out of it.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
preakness

I saw this happen once

In a Prince purple rain video
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #10
rocketfan86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbackschamp2001 View Post
I typed your symptoms into the thing up here, and it says you could have "network connectivity problems"
Haha nice! Parks and Recreation!

I love knowing that particular scene and line was ad-libbed

Collecting all Houston Rockets players, current and former.
rocketfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
rocketfan86

Hi OP.

I'm by no means a medical doctor but usually when your body gets cold, it tries to conserve heat. Your body will try to limit blood circulation to your extremities and keep the blood circulating to internal organs and keep warm to continue to function.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #12
Deathgate

Do you have any ancestors form Kentucky? It could be a mild case of methemoglobinemia.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
Deathgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
marvelfan2019

Hi there.

I think the most important thing to know is how cold was the water?

When you're body gets put it a situation like that, if the water was around freezing temperature, it draws blood away from less essential parts of your body to the organs that are needed to keep you alive. Blood is what carries oxygen throughout the body. The saturation of oxygen in your fingers, for example, will drop. Essentially, blood is not being received by the fingers, hence neither is oxygen. This is why they typically turn purple or blue.

What's most concerning to me is that you said your fingers turned purple down to the knuckles and it was a deep purple. Also, the fact that you were having dyspnea (difficulty breathing) is of concern as well.

Based on what you said (5'9" and 125 pounds) you're actually on the border of being underweight. If it was me, and you have a primary care physician, I would make an appointment to get checked out. Probably have some blood drawn to make sure it's not anything too serious. You could potentially be anemic.

Also, don't listen to anyone that's not a doctor on here. A lot of people like to play pretend, but they have no idea what they are talking about.
marvelfan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
jcardstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfan2019 View Post
Also, don't listen to anyone that's not a doctor on here. A lot of people like to play pretend, but they have no idea what they are talking about.
So are you a doctor or are you also playing pretend?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #15
marvelfan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
So are you a doctor or are you also playing pretend?
Last year of med school. Will graduate in a few months. If I don't know what I'm talking about by now, I'm in deep you know what lol.

I just meant you can't listen to what other people, who do not have any medical training, might say on here. Like the first post after the original post for example.
marvelfan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
rocketfan86

Quote:
Hi there.

When you're body gets put it a situation like that, if the water was around freezing temperature, it draws blood away from less essential parts of your body to the organs that are needed to keep you alive. Blood is what carries oxygen throughout the body. The saturation of oxygen in your fingers, for example, will drop. Essentially, blood is not being received by the fingers, hence neither is oxygen. This is why they typically turn purple or blue.

What's most concerning to me is that you said your fingers turned purple down to the knuckles and it was a deep purple. Also, the fact that you were having dyspnea (difficulty breathing) is of concern as well.

Based on what you said (5'9" and 125 pounds) you're actually on the border of being underweight. If it was me, and you have a primary care physician, I would make an appointment to get checked out. Probably have some blood drawn to make sure it's not anything too serious. You could potentially be anemic.

Great description. I was basically trying to say what you did in your first paragraph.

I'm a doctor but PhD and currently teach anatomy and physiology.

Good luck with your final year of medical school. Have you already applied for your residencies?

Old 01-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #17
jlzinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
Do you have any ancestors form Kentucky? It could be a mild case of methemoglobinemia.
I can't be the only one who understands this can I?
Old 01-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #18
BostonNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
I can't be the only one who understands this can I?
BostonNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #19
hairysasquatch

Was it associated with "shrinkage"?
Old 01-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #20
Hiphipjorge
Banned - PBM

Quote:
Hi there.

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll make a trip to the doctor just to make sure. The next time I go back in the pool is next week, so I should be able to make it to the doc
Old 01-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #21
Nicnac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Was it associated with "shrinkage"?
He didn't mention a tiny purple penis.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #22
preakness

Same thing happened to veruca Salt

Have Oompa Loompa juice you
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #23
DaaaaBears

Doesn't sound good imo - sounds like the beginning stages of frostbite almost - how cold was the water? Did they go numb? Heated pool next time? Polar bear swimmers get this? Those guys that r crazy and swim when it's freezing nads off cold outside? Good luck with all of this
DaaaaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:31 AM   #24
2012 SP COLLECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaBears View Post
Doesn't sound good imo - sounds like the beginning stages of frostbite almost - how cold was the water? Did they go numb? Heated pool next time? Polar bear swimmers get this? Those guys that r crazy and swim when it's freezing nads off cold outside? Good luck with all of this
Sounds like the beginning stages of him becoming Goth or Emo. Purple nails? Whats next Flock of seagulls haircut?
2012 SP COLLECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #25
daxwills

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOKo96HfEM