Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-26-2014, 11:29 PM   #301
Zoop

My mother also died on a Sunday before a WWE PPV... I don't know why I'm saying this; I'm just connecting the dots is all... So tragic.
Zoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #302
aaron01

Another weird thing is I pulled a redemption card of him yesterday and it was my first redemption card ever and the next day this happens... Weird things going on this month. RIP Oscar
Old 10-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #303
lisu

RIP Oscar Taveras and to his GF also. My heart goes out to Cardinals Nation and to friends and family of Oscar.
lisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:38 PM   #304
metsandweezer

Such sad news, I almost cried when I heard what happened.
metsandweezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #305
metsandweezer

Once his prices calm down a bit, I'm going to pick up an auto of his for my PC. RIP Oscar Taveras
metsandweezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #306
edgeusaf1

RIP Oscar....Cardinal Nation weeps tonight.....
Old 10-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #307
BeastMode27

[QUOTE=Zoop;8175988]My mother also died on a Sunday before a WWE PPV... I don't know why I'm saying this; I'm just connecting the dots is all... So tragic.[/QUOTE

Follow The Buzzards ..go figure not just a saying. You can connect a lot of things to deaths, just dont get to crazy.

His regular season stat line finishes at 3 Homers 22 RBI talk..about..creepy.

Something just seems too odd about the whole thing, wish it weren't true.
BeastMode27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #308
PejaD

RIP. For his family's sake, I hope he had a good life insurance policy in place. His career earnings accrued from baseball are actually pretty low (<$1 million) relative to the potential guaranteed millions (and potentially hundreds of millions) he would have been earning in the next few years (and next decade).
PejaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #309
Melagoo

RIP Oscar ... very sad to hear this tradgic news ... RIP to your girl friend ... taken way way too early ...
Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #310
justdagoodstuff

Another very sad part of this is now is there's a little 1 and a half year baby who will never get to see his parents.
justdagoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:07 AM   #311
Afton9444

WOW.. I am absolutely shocked. So sad…. what is really weird is I don't own any of his cards.. And today I thought man I want a Taveras Auto.. ended up buying 2 of them on the bay. So crazy… I pray for comfort for His and His Girlfriends families right now. Has to be a tough time.
Afton9444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:51 AM   #312
justdagoodstuff

Early indications are that it happened around 7pm there, and it had been raining since 5pm. Word is the roads there are very dark due to not having a lot of street lights. Possibly ended up hitting a tree after losing control of the car.

I always thought he was going to be one of the best hitters the league had seen in a long time. Now he's playing up in the field of dreams. Sad man, sad.

Last edited by justdagoodstuff; 10-27-2014 at 01:06 AM.
justdagoodstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:23 AM   #313
danmecum51

I know I am joining the thread late, just found out about this. Truly saddens me. I really liked oscars demeanor and was excited for his future. I am 99% sure I have been on this highway where he wrecked his car and it doesn't surprise me that this is where it happened. I knew he was from puerta plata which is one gorgeous place on the Atlantic side of the country. A few years ago we took a team down to the DR and one of our stops was in Cabarete. we stayed in Sosua which both are basically suburbs of puerta plata on the coast. The roads are extremely curvy and dangerous as there are virtually no laws or organization on their roadways. The highway that he was on (I believe it's the same one) has no center lines or signage warning you of anything in the road. You'd see a moped with four people on it going 10mph getting passed by semi trucks or buses at 70mph. It's unreal and really scary how that country (and most Latin countries) organize their roadways. This breaks my heart to hear of this news. I send all my thoughts and prayers to his family as he seemed like a very nice kid.

Last edited by danmecum51; 10-27-2014 at 01:25 AM.
danmecum51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:08 AM   #314
PatchSentinel

It's pretty crazy. I still remember when he was red hot in the hobby, and now he's gone. RIP.
PatchSentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:30 AM   #315
goldglove2144

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchSentinel View Post
It's pretty crazy. I still remember when he was red hot in the hobby, and now he's gone. RIP.
not like it was that long ago..but yes, its very sad to hear.
goldglove2144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #316
Vintage Collector

I read every post in this thread and agree that it is a sad day for baseball and others.

If he was going 110 mph and/or drinking and driving, it is his own fault that he is dead and he could have very possibly avoided this. It is also sad that he took another life in the process.

A tragedy is a child getting hit by a stray bullet or having a terrible illness, not a young kid, with loads of talent, thinking he is invincible and getting killed in the process.

Regarding selling his cards, there is no right or wrong. Everyone needs to decide what is best for them and how to handle it. A lot of people have done a lot worse for a buck. You just have to hope people keep it respectful.

That being said, I was very sad to hear that he died and I wish his and his girlfriends family the best.
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #317
LEAF
Manufacturer

Terrible thing.. We worked with Oscar many times including a few months ago for an upcoming product ..Too sad..
Prayers go out to his family and friends... Brian
LEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #318
philhjr1
Temporarily Suspended

RIP Oscar!!! Once again it shows that there are bigger things then the hobby!!

On that note, this is where the new return policy from paypal will start affecting people!! With people now able to return up to 180 days, I can see people who investing in oscar starting to use this as an out to recoup their money back!!!!!
philhjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #319
Srt42004n
Banned

RIP Oscar, sucks this happened before the holidays, after all the incidents I would be inclined to think MLB teams will begin putting something in contracts about players going home during the off season
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #320
gorillaz

This may be a dumb question but do you think Oscar's funeral will be payed by MLB or another sponsor?
gorillaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #321
Joe Light
Inactive Account

Last edited by Joe Light; 12-14-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Joe Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #322
lazygambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
That was Greg Halman (Seattle Mariner outfielder) who was stabbed to death about 3 years ago.
I was not going to comment on this, but I think you are the third person to present this story incorrect. It wasn't the brother sitting on top of him stabbing him to death, or standing up jabbing him over and over. The brother came home very intoxicated beating on the door for Gregory to let him in. Gregory walked down stairs (left his former girlfriend in the room that was there helping him during hard times) opened the door and let him in. Jason began to play music very loud which started the altercation. The two brothers became very heated and Jason pulls out a butterfly knife (intoxicated, and under the influence of drugs). Gregory throws up his arms in defense, and when the brother goes to cut him he misses the arm (the supposed target), and cuts Gregory on the neck hitting the carotid artery. Doctors claim if the cut would have been an inch in any other direction it could of been taken care of by a Band-Aid. I know wiki, and many other google sources title it as "Halman stabbed to death", but if you read the complete story I believe that is a bit misleading.

Last edited by lazygambler; 10-27-2014 at 09:39 AM.
lazygambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #323
21Pittsburgh58

RIP Oscar.
Russ Westbrook, Trout, Shohei, Acuna, Charles LeClerc, Ferrari (Lewis Hamilton 2025!)
21Pittsburgh58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #324
Srt42004n
Banned

Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #325
lakesidez

Wow on the car\crash picture from above, have they released any details pertaining to the crash? Drugs\alcohol, etc.......obviously high speed as well. It's unfortunate when people have poor judgement and make bad decisions. Heck I have as well in life, just so sad to see this happen to such a promising athlete or anyone for that matter.