Blowout Cards Forums
2018 bk pre order

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > News & Announcements

Notices

News & Announcements Case Deals! and General Info about the Hobby

Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #101
solt0131

Relax people, they aren't going anywhere.
solt0131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #102
maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post

You may be right but I would bet some of their customers are.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:20 AM   #103
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
Don't count on it... hundreds of millions in potential damages.. you think they have that money sat around? I think this could well be the end. If not it should hurt them in a serious way. Personally I hope they fold, because they have helped to give the industry a black eye. They lie, and have acted in a completely corrupt and underhand manner.

Word is Upper Deck could well fold, McWilliam still has other irons in the fire however.

Jason
Cult-Stuff
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #104
maximus

I dont think the damages will be anywhere near hundreds of millions.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #105
maximus

Dont know much about yugioh rare cards but look at what at least one rare card is selling for

YUGIOH CRUSH CARD VIRUS/GLD1-EN038/GOLD RARE /^ - eBay (item 380143226143 end time Jan-22-10 21:18:34 PST)

600,000 of these would be a nice piece of change.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #106
n1nesports

I always see fake Yu-Gi-Oh cards at the dollar store. They are horrible quality though, those ones are probably made in China though lol.
n1nesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #107
YanksMVP

We can speculate all we want, but the fact still remains that Upper Deck makes top quality sports cards & memorabilia and creative Entertainment TCGs. I for one am an avid collector and will continue to purchase their products. People are naturally addicted to drama.
YanksMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #108
dd316

UD won't go under, they'll just print up funds to save themselves.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #109
maximus

Default Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksMVP View Post
We can speculate all we want, but the fact still remains that Upper Deck makes top quality sports cards & memorabilia and creative Entertainment TCGs. I for one am an avid collector and will continue to purchase their products. People are naturally addicted to drama.

YanksMVP

We arent trying to make a drama here.

" make a small problem or event seem more important or serious than it really is"

THIS SITUATION IS NO "DRAMA" IF UD DID WHAT IS ALLEGED THE ENTIRE CARD COLLECTING COMMUNITY SHOULD BE OUTRAGED.

As an avid collector you must agree conterfeiting cards is a serious problem.I certainly think if what was reported in the NY post is true you may change your buying habits.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #110
mswift69

“Worthy of note, people are saying McWilliam plead the fifth, but if you check the court documents, that’s not true. He did give testimony.”

They still produce the most on card autos and the best product out there
mswift69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #111
MikeDtonation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswift69 View Post
“Worthy of note, people are saying McWilliam plead the fifth, but if you check the court documents, that’s not true. He did give testimony.”

They still produce the most on card autos and the best product out there
I think you deserved to be screwed than.
MikeDtonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #112
Zerokruel

So, Konami won their case. Let's see how much they get.

Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. Prevails in Lawsuit Against The Upper Deck Company - Trial to Determine Damages to Start in Late January - Yahoo! Finance
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #113
maximus

Think upperdeck sucks so do they. upperdecksucks.com since 2000 LMAO

Registrant:
The Upper Deck Company, LLC
5909 Sea Otter Place
Carlsbad, CA 92010
US

Domain Name: UPPERDECKSUCKS.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
IT Engineering, Upper Deck
The Upper Deck Company
5909 Sea Otter Place
Carlsbad, CA 92010
US
(760) 929-3457 fax: (760) 929-6531

Record expires on 01-Mar-2012.
Record created on 29-Feb-2000.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.AMERICANIS.NET
NS2.AMERICANIS.NET
NS3.AMERICANIS.NET
Old 01-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #114
n1nesports

I highly doubt this could put UD out of business, they make loads of cash, I'm sure more than most of us think. Even if it did damage them to that point they could find investors to help them get out of the debt.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #115
red48

Quote:
Speculate? Who's speculating? Did you not read the articles? They admitted doing wrong doing. There's no speculating here. Oh, wait. You have one post. On this thread. Right. Even if you received a fraudulent card from them you'd still praise them. Nevermind.

Quote:
I highly doubt this could put UD out of business, they make loads of cash, I'm sure more than most of us think. Even if it did damage them to that point they could find investors to help them get out of the debt.
Uhm, unlikely. A new serious investor would not invest just to get someone out of debt from a lawsuit that the company admitted doing wrong doing and produced fake cards. Especially with the economy still recovering. And they do not make "loads of cash" they have quite an overhead. If they made "loads of cash" they would not be laying off people left and right. They would be hiring. I know at least several people that lost their Customer Rep jobs and its only the beginning.
red48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #116
maximus

Trial starts Tuesday 1/26/10
Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #117
n1nesports

Quote:
Originally Posted by red48 View Post
Speculate? Who's speculating? Did you not read the articles? They admitted doing wrong doing. There's no speculating here. Oh, wait. You have one post. On this thread. Right. Even if you received a fraudulent card from them you'd still praise them. Nevermind.

Uhm, unlikely. A new serious investor would not invest just to get someone out of debt from a lawsuit that the company admitted doing wrong doing and produced fake cards. Especially with the economy still recovering. And they do not make "loads of cash" they have quite an overhead. If they made "loads of cash" they would not be laying off people left and right. They would be hiring. I know at least several people that lost their Customer Rep jobs and its only the beginning.
Not true. If someone invested in their business which has been proven a success in the past they would obviously make a good cut of their new product's profits. And they do make loads of cash, if they didn't they wouldn't be able to afford to have agreements with players like MJ/Kobe Bryant/Tiger Woods. Do you think you could just walk up to MJ and get him to sign a deal with you? Unlikely. The market for this stuff is pretty big. Everyone is laying people off, many businesses aren't doing as well as they used to be, but that doesn't mean they aren't doing exceptionally well for themselves. For instance, some company could have made money in the $2 billion dollar range, then because of the "recession" they only make $1 billion now (still doing good), so obviously they're going to cut people from their team. If things start to die down you don't need as many people in your circle because things get easier to control. No reason to pay someone for something you don't need.

People can say what they want about UD and their bad business practices and what not, but they still made the best looking products. It would be sad to see them go down.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #118
anusinha

Apparently Upper Decks revenue is on the order of $40 million per year, which is a lot lower than I would have thought.

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #119
MikeDtonation

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1nesports View Post
Not true. If someone invested in their business which has been proven a success in the past they would obviously make a good cut of their new product's profits. And they do make loads of cash, if they didn't they wouldn't be able to afford to have agreements with players like MJ/Kobe Bryant/Tiger Woods. Do you think you could just walk up to MJ and get him to sign a deal with you? Unlikely. The market for this stuff is pretty big. Everyone is laying people off, many businesses aren't doing as well as they used to be, but that doesn't mean they aren't doing exceptionally well for themselves. For instance, some company could have made money in the $2 billion dollar range, then because of the "recession" they only make $1 billion now (still doing good), so obviously they're going to cut people from their team. If things start to die down you don't need as many people in your circle because things get easier to control. No reason to pay someone for something you don't need.

People can say what they want about UD and their bad business practices and what not, but they still made the best looking products. It would be sad to see them go down.
False, no one will invest in a company to pay for a court sentence of 350M$ that would be stupid. Profits if they ever exist would be flooded with the new shares (Just like they are flooding the card market). No one would like to invest his money with a criminal like McWillams. They are no where near the 2 billions you are talking about. Agreements with all the stars you mentioned is only lowering the profits nothing more. Of course it's bringin sales, but not what you are thinking. They are going down.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #120
Bailey

Where did this number come from? It is lower than I thought too.

For a product like SP Authentic football, they probably make about 6000 cases at cost of just under $1000 per case. That is 6 million right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusinha View Post
Apparently Upper Decks revenue is on the order of $40 million per year, which is a lot lower than I would have thought.
Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #121
MikeDtonation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Where did this number come from? It is lower than I thought too.

For a product like SP Authentic football, they probably make about 6000 cases at cost of just under $1000 per case. That is 6 million right there.
Is this retail price or dealer's cost? And even if they have 1 billion of sale I would be curious to see the bottom line of financial statements...

(XXX,XXX,XXX.00$$) lol.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #122
Bailey

That is dealer cost (what they sell it for). Profit is completely different from revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDtonation View Post
Is this retail price or dealer's cost? And even if they have 1 billion of sale I would be curious to see the bottom line of financial statements...

(XXX,XXX,XXX.00$$) lol.
Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #123
deltapi1049

I got an email today saying the jury was dismissed, signalling a settlement. We should hear more soon.

Sports Cards Uncensored: Has The Upper Deck Lawsuit Been Settled Already?

Sports Cards Uncensored - Digital Card Central
deltapi1049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #124
ramsey13

Any more news anyone??
Old 01-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #125
anusinha

I think 6000 cases of SPA FB is a little high. With 8 RPAs per case, and about 28500 RPA total produce, that gives you closer to 3500 hobby cases.

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote