Blowout Cards Forums
2018 flush

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
mwheeler27

Default Upper Deck admits to counterfeiting over 600,000 cards!!!

Here's the link:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/n...tml#post424763

"John Sepenuk, a former upper deck vice president, testified at a deposition that he was aware during his time of employment that his then-employer, (upper deck), commissioned the printing of counterfeit Yu-Gi-Oh! cards in China, court papers state".

Upper deck is an absolute joke!

I hope they have to pay so much in this lawsuit that they will never again be able to produce cards. They knowingly produced over half a million of counterfeit cards! Are you kidding me?

If they are going to do this, what other unethical business practices are they conducting with their sports cards? I bet there are all kinds of FAKE memorabilia pieces in their cards.

upper deck SUCKS!!!

All you upper deck lovers out there are in love with an admitted unethical company with ZERO integrity out for only themselves.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
bmc398

Posted this above:

I guess I don't get it... how were the cards counterfeit if they are the ones who had the license to produce the cards in the US? Or is the argument that they didn't have a license or permission? The article doesn't really explain why the cards were counterfeit well.

The moral of the story though....UD purposely did something pretty unethical. I'm pretty much done buying from them.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
CaptainBOHICA
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Wait for it... Wait for it...
Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
MrOpinion

Send a message via AIM to MrOpinion Send a message via MSN to MrOpinion Send a message via Yahoo to MrOpinion Send a message via Skype™ to MrOpinion

I hate to say it, but until Topps starting pushing the envelope with better products (see in IMHO the Flop that is Topps Tribute), i think I'll be distributing myself evenly...
298 of 330 Common Cards = 90.3% Owned
Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
Posted this above:

I guess I don't get it... how were the cards counterfeit if they are the ones who had the license to produce the cards in the US? Or is the argument that they didn't have a license or permission? The article doesn't really explain why the cards were counterfeit well.

The moral of the story though....UD purposely did something pretty unethical. I'm pretty much done buying from them.
It says that upper deck "conceded" its printing and distribution of over 600,000 cards violating trademark and copyright laws as well as unfair competition laws. Upper deck knew that what they were doing was wrong and against the law and did it anyway.

They really need to burn for this. No one should have confidence in upper deck any more. If they are going to do something like this so blatantly, how on earth can anyone believe all their memorabilia they attest is real is actually exactly what they say it is? I know I for one will no longer believe a thing upper deck tells me. They are crooked, and there's no way this is the only incident.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Wiscollector

There is a great book written in the mid-nineties about some of the shady practices of Upper Deck called Card Sharks: How Upper Deck Turned a Child's Hobby into a High-Stakes, Billion-Dollar Business

I highly recommend it, great look at how McWilliams hijacked the company away from the founders and some of the early rumors or reprinting and back dooring popular cards such as the 89 Griffey and other early error cards.

If you haven't read it and consider your self a hard core collector it is a must read!
#1 Tim Shaw collector.
Formerly Tigerstarpcrew
Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
longdriverstl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc398 View Post
Posted this above:

Upper Deck just distributed the cards. Konami is the company that prints the cards and has the license. Konami dropped Upper Deck last year and decided to just distribute the cards themselves.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
pskell02

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Carry on in the other thread.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/n...-gi-oh-no.html
Closed Thread