Blowout Cards Forums
pokemon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

Notices

HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-29-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
GoJays

Default Trades Are Happening

Weber to Montreal for Subban, Hall to New Jersey for Larsson.

The biggest news until Stamkos signs with the Leafs in a few days.

Discuss.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
BoxBreaker72

Stamkos stays in TB for only 8.5.. Why would he wait all this time and not test it out Friday?

Idiotic move IMO.

Now Detroit gets the scraps at best. Another wonderful Holland summer.
BoxBreaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
SethMurphy

I am shocked the Rangers couldn't ship a defenseman for Hall, oh well.

I don't expect much excitement for my boys this summer
Old 06-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
BestRCs

Larsson for Hall?

Feel like the Oilers could've gotten a little more for Hall.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
ncm7772

Edmonton makes a bonehead move. Lol, even worse if the theory is right, that the trade was largely a salary dump to free up room to sign Lucic. SMDH.

Subban and Weber trade is interesting for sure.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #6
Angus Con

NJ and Montreal are clear winners in my book. Hall straight up for Larsson? Wow.

And bringing Weber to Montreal for Subban is a win in every way possible. Weber is physical, responsible defensively as well as contributing offensively, has great hockey sense, and is a long-time captain. Subban has little of the things I just listed for Weber.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
ewilkens

those are two of the worst trades I think I've seen... what are Edmonton and Montreal thinking?
ewilkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
creasecollector

Crazy day in the NHL. Wow.
Instagram/Twitter: @creasecollector
creasecollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #9
Craig

The Oilers had to make a trade to improve their D, but I didn't expect that Hall would be the one moved. And if they were going to move him, they sure should have received more than simply Larsson. I guess there were no takers on Yakupov or Eberle, but Hall is a lot to give up...I thought he and McDavid were going to be the leaders of that team for the foreseeable future.

What a day, two blockbusters!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
chezball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilkens View Post
those are two of the worst trades I think I've seen... what are Edmonton and Nashville thinking?
I fixed it for you.
chezball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #11
ewilkens

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
I fixed it for you.
yeah... b/c Nashville totally got robbed. I mean, who want's a better player who's younger and on a better contract?

Loved' this Habs blog take on the trade:
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...#@-is-going-on
Old 06-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #12
Bruin7

Surprised the Oilers didn't offer RNG or Yakupov. Odd trade for sure.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #13
rednecksims

Send a message via Yahoo to rednecksims

I cant believe Nashville traded Weber. It seemed like the team last year had some good chemistry. The only upside I see to the trade is Subban is a couple year younger. I have not watched Subban much. I know he can score goals, but how is he on the PP? Nashville will miss Weber's hard shot when needed. On another scale what does this do to both player's card prices?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:53 PM   #14
robert67

Predators got what they wanted big time. Got younger and faster. Shea really had a terrible series against the Sharks and I think that sealed the deal in Poile's mind. Hard to trade a player you drafted and was the first player that brought the team any real recognition to be sure.

Also, many fans haven't forgotten how Weber forced the organizations hand on his contract when he signed the offer sheet with the Flyers a few years back. No way Poile could have let him go then.

He can now because this is a much stronger hockey market than ever before. I realize that Nashville will always be seen as a "lower level" market, but having lived here 15 of the Predators seasons, it is like night and day to see how far the organization has come.

He will be certaily be missed, but I am excited to get Subban. With him, Johansen, Forsberg, Josi and company I think we have a great core group built for the future. Time will tell.
robert67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin7 View Post
Surprised the Oilers didn't offer RNG or Yakupov. Odd trade for sure.
I'm guessing they did, but neither was enough to fetch a top blueliner.

At this point, they'd honestly be lucky to get a top-four defenseman for Yaks considering what a disappointment he's been. RNH might get them someone decent, but if took Hall to get Larsson then I can't see Nugent-Hopkins getting a top-pairing guy.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #16
chezball

Quote:
yeah... b/c Nashville totally got robbed. I mean, who want's a better player who's younger and on a better contract?

Loved' this Habs blog take on the trade:
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...#@-is-going-on
Subban cap hit is 9 Mil for the next six year vs $7,857,143 for webber.
More than a mil difference. Webber does have a longer contract.
Comparing the six years subban has left on his contract.
chezball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #17
ewilkens

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
Subban cap hit is 9 Mil for the next six year vs $7,857,143 for webber.
More than a mil difference. Webber does have a longer contract.
Comparing the six years subban has left on his contract.
I'm aware Subban's AAV is more, which is why I said better contract, not cheaper. I'd much rather be on the hook paying PK (who already is better) until he's 33 years old than paying Weber (who has already started declining) another 10 years until he's 40 years old.

And if Weber retires before the end of his contract, MTL may be on the hook for some cap recapture penalty too... so, I stand by statement.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #18
Angus Con

Quote:
I'm aware Subban's AAV is more, which is why I said better contract, not cheaper. I'd much rather be on the hook paying PK (who already is better) until he's 33 years old than paying Weber (who has already started declining) another 10 years until he's 40 years old.

And if Weber retires before the end of his contract, MTL may be on the hook for some cap recapture penalty too... so, I stand by statement.
Subban is not a better player. He's a hot dog that the league has figured out. He just turns the puck over a lot now because people don't fall for his spin-a-rama crap any longer. I'll take Weber all day. Subban is a rather terrible defenseman these days. He's so far from his Norris days it's not even funny. Nashville got sold a brand name.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #19
ewilkens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Con View Post
Subban is not a better player. He's a hot dog that the league has figured out. He just turns the puck over a lot now because people don't fall for his spin-a-rama crap any longer. I'll take Weber all day. Subban is a rather terrible defenseman these days. He's so far from his Norris days it's not even funny. Nashville got sold a brand name.
LOL..
Old 06-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #20
Angus Con

Maybe if you watched Subban, you would know what people are talking about.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #21
robert67

I don't know that Subban is a "better" player, but he fits what the Predators coaching staff wants to do going forward.

Point taken on him giving up the puck too much. He will have to tighten that part of his game up for the team to take a step forward.

I think its cool to be talking hockey when it's 90 degrees here in Nashville today!

Last edited by robert67; 06-29-2016 at 06:28 PM.
robert67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #22
Angus Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert67 View Post
I don't know that Subban is a "better" player, but he fits what the Predators coaching staff wants to do going forward.

Point taken on him giving up the puck too much. He will have to tighten that part of his game up for the team to take a step forward.

I think its cool to be talking hockey when it's 90 degrees here in Nashville today!
It's going to be interesting. I'm no Habs fan, but I have a Habs fan for a sibling; so, I've had to watch more Montreal and Subban than I care to admit. Subban was phenomenal in his Norris season, but he's really lost his way in his own zone. Therrien was over him. His team was over him. Bergevin is over him. If they weren't, there's no way they would risk trading a player entering his prime right now.

Getting PK to make smart plays with the puck and not leave his partner hung out to dry is going to be a massive challenge for the Preds.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #23
Angus Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I'm guessing they did, but neither was enough to fetch a top blueliner.

At this point, they'd honestly be lucky to get a top-four defenseman for Yaks considering what a disappointment he's been. RNH might get them someone decent, but if took Hall to get Larsson then I can't see Nugent-Hopkins getting a top-pairing guy.
I personally think that the league knows Edmonton is desperate to move a couple of these young forwards for top defensemen. I think the other GM's are taking a firm stance with Chiarelli and holding defensemen for a ransom. I can't even begin to understand how Larsson can equal Hall using any other logic.

I wish the Blues could have dumped Shattenkirk for Hall. At least that's more of a fair value for Hall. Larsson is just a headscratcher. Chiarelli lowered the bar for the other forwards with this deal because Hall was much better than Eberle, RNH, or Yakupov. If that's all he got for Hall, I would be very worried at what offers he's getting for the others.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #24
aro13

Default Analytics

All of the advanced analytics favour Subban over Weber and it is not close.

Chiarelli has now traded Tyler Seguin AND Taylor Hall and his return ....... wait for it ...... Joe Morrow, Adam Larsson, Riley Smith and Louis Eriksson
aro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #25
andy88c

Quote:

No. Nashville (the team that signed the contract) would be on the hook. I'm a Preds fan...that's the huge drawback of this trade I see.

I actually don't like this trade. We just traded our team's heart and soul for a guy who has a reputation of being a bit of a "me" type player. I hope I'm wrong on that, though.

Don't get me wrong, Subban is miles more athletic than Shea and is a better offensive player in all aspects other than slap shot. I think Shea is a better defender, though, and our team doesn't really have that "nasty" anymore with him gone. Our top-four defensemen are now Josi, Subban, Ekholm, and Ellis. Ellis is tiny, Ekholm is big, but is more of a skilled player, and Josi is one of the best Ds in the league, but isn't a physical guy, either. That worries me.

Losing Shea's leadership also really, really hurts. James Neal is my favorite player, but he's too much of a hothead to be the team's leader. Fisher is probably the guy now, but he's getting up there in age.

I get why Poile made the trade and the times when we have Joey/Neal/Filip/Subban/Josi out there is going to be flat out SCARY (although I do think Neal and Filip are split onto separate lines for most games). Weber was also considered one of the most overrated elite defensemen by advanced metrics. But I'm hesitant on giving this trade my approval.

In other news, PK Subban cards are about to get a lot cheaper...