Blowout Cards Forums
April Showers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Grid

Default The 2016 Panini Select Challenge

I have yet to buy a box of 2016 product. Hell I don't think I busted a 2015 product yet either! But that doesn't mean I haven't grown my PC.

I love the look of 2016 Select. I'm thrilled they brought that product line back again. I went through cases of 2014 Select at around $25.00 a box. No way I'm paying $175 per box for 2016. Just 12 packs and 3 hits, thats nuts.

So I took $175 to ebay and here is my haul. I also bought another 20 or so jersey cards and another 20 or crappy autos.

The $175 includes shipping! I mostly shopped with sellers that combined at a very good rate.

Sure, I didnt get any sick Mojo Patch cards, or Dak Zeke hits like I might have if I bought a box. But I damn sure didn't get 2 $5.00 cards and one that might pull in 10 bucks either!

Once the dust settled, I bought nearly 75 MEM/Auto cards for the price of a box. I picked up another 30 MEM/AUTO cards off of blowout for the price of half a box as well. Those aren't pictured.

So keep busting wax for me gang!

Last edited by Grid; 03-24-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Daimao

man that's awesome! I wonder how Panini determines the pricing for their products?
Daimao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimao View Post
man that's awesome! I wonder how Panini determines the pricing for their products?
Old 03-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
ILOVEBEER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimao View Post
I always wondered that as well. Past Select boxes were usually $100 at release for the same amount of cards/hits. Base cards must cost a lot to produce.
ILOVEBEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
cookingwine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
I always wondered that as well. Past Select boxes were usually $100 at release for the same amount of cards/hits. Base cards must cost a lot to produce.
You actually got three autographs and a jersey card per box in past years. But then again, 2014 was so overloaded with points that it was pretty much the same as 2 autographs and one jersey card.

I really think Panini is banking on the Cowboys factor. They ended up with the top two rookies for the year, along with having two quarterbacks being drafted with the top two picks. They also had the top pick being drafted to LA, a city that just got a franchise.

I think they jumped the price up for most products upon release because of those reasons. Do remember that boxes were $130 on release, and have jumped up $30-$40 for a box because of hoe well it was received. They left the colored borders design for Optic and decided to make more of an interesting design for Select like they have had in the basketball set for the last couple years.

But now that NT came out today, the market is already correcting itself with these cards. Ezekiel Elliott autographs /49 are available for less than the $175 that Grid spent for all the cards he bought. A Dak Prescott patch autograph /99 just sold for $130. The cost of boxes will, within the next month or so, start to go down again. I can't imagine people still paying this much for a box where hitting one of the top two players in the set can't cover the cost of a box.
cookingwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Tones

nice haul!
Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
majestik101

70+ hits or the equivalent of about 14 boxes for $175 shipped. That's a flippers wet dream. I expect you'll make 3-5x your money back once the season starts. And yet people are frantically busting National Treasures Lottery Tickets at $700 a pop.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestik101 View Post
70+ hits or the equivalent of about 14 boxes for $175 shipped. That's a flippers wet dream. I expect you'll make 3-5x your money back once the season starts. And yet people are frantically busting National Treasures Lottery Tickets at $700 a pop.

Bingo! So many cards listed at 3 or 5 days starting at .99 from people that bought into breaks and just don't care about what they hit. Easy Pickens, I just need one guy to break out next year and I'm golden.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #9
BigRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingwine View Post
You actually got three autographs and a jersey card per box in past years. But then again, 2014 was so overloaded with points that it was pretty much the same as 2 autographs and one jersey card.

I really think Panini is banking on the Cowboys factor. They ended up with the top two rookies for the year, along with having two quarterbacks being drafted with the top two picks. They also had the top pick being drafted to LA, a city that just got a franchise.

I think they jumped the price up for most products upon release because of those reasons. Do remember that boxes were $130 on release, and have jumped up $30-$40 for a box because of hoe well it was received. They left the colored borders design for Optic and decided to make more of an interesting design for Select like they have had in the basketball set for the last couple years.

But now that NT came out today, the market is already correcting itself with these cards. Ezekiel Elliott autographs /49 are available for less than the $175 that Grid spent for all the cards he bought. A Dak Prescott patch autograph /99 just sold for $130. The cost of boxes will, within the next month or so, start to go down again. I can't imagine people still paying this much for a box where hitting one of the top two players in the set can't cover the cost of a box.

Btw its the secondary sellers that are raising the box prices not panini. It is all supply and demand.
Scrub Autos:1000s
BigRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #10
03supto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRhino View Post
Btw its the secondary sellers that are raising the box prices not panini. It is all supply and demand.
Demand??? Two overhyped cowboy rookies should not be impacting a 60% price inflation
03supto is offline   Reply With Quote