Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #51
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail2TheVictors View Post
It's pretty silly.

Need I remind people what 2018 Bowman hobby/jumbo boxes are selling for?
What's silly, lol, is comparing a product that is only selling for big bucks for ONE reason (ohtani autographs) to a product that will NOT have Ohtani autographs.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #52
prospects
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
What's silly, lol, is comparing a product that is only selling for big bucks for ONE reason (ohtani autographs) to a product that will NOT have Ohtani autographs.
preorders were at $100 before ohtani was even announced in bowman.
prospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #53
jrg1128

There will be a couple guys blow up from this product also. Just because it underwhelms you now doesn't mean these wont go for $70+ a box in a few months.

Also, Acuna and Florial autos alone make this product well worth it.

Last edited by jrg1128; 05-17-2018 at 09:12 AM.
jrg1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #54
Kcelelli

Quote:
It's pretty silly. For $15, please show me a better buy. It's a really fun rip, and with guys like Florial, Baez, Gleyber, Kieboom etc there is some upside there.

Need I remind people what 2018 Bowman hobby/jumbo boxes are selling for? This is a great product. It's not the 2017 version, but for crying out loud thats one of the best products we will ever see.
Exactly, Andujar, Florial, Kieboom, and Gleyber were enough to get me involved at $15 a pop and with the addition of Acuna image variations, Albies, Devers, and Robles its a high upside product. Especially when you look at some of the prospects on there who have some good upside.
Kcelelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #55
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
preorders were at $100 before ohtani was even announced in bowman.
So? $100 is nothing for bowman
Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #56
prospects
Banned

Quote:
So? $100 is nothing for bowman
the argument simply cannot be made that at $15 this is not an amazing product.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #57
ThoseBackPages

glad to see so many passing on these at $14.99
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #58
Tim

Quote:
the argument simply cannot be made that at $15 this is not an amazing product.
I never said that. I said it's a weak checklist. And I said comparing it to a product with ohtani autographs is silly.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #59
prospects
Banned

Quote:
I never said that. I said it's a weak checklist. And I said comparing it to a product with ohtani autographs is silly.
but it is not a weak checklist.

there are 22 autographs on the regular auto checklist. 4 of those alone will sell for at least $50.

the image variation auto checklist which is 8 cards has another 5ish that will sell for at least $50.

the base for vlad, ohtani, acuna, gleyber, soto etc will all do well.

it is not weak lol.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #60
notoriousrmb

Let's call this what it really is, 2 "Mega" packs for $7.50 each.

Very few people will care about the base Bowman packs that have no color/autos in them.

Can you see value in a $7.50 Mega pack? If so, buy em up! If not, leave em for clectrs.
notoriousrmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #61
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousrmb View Post

Very few people will care about the base Bowman packs that have no color/autos in them.

Can you see value in a $7.50 Mega pack? If so, buy em up! If not, leave em for clectrs.
yep, just like they were last year. two packs of chrome cards you cannot buy anywhere else
Old 05-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #62
prospects
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousrmb View Post

ok so for $7.50 you are hoping for the $125 florial auto, the $400 acuna variation auto, the $60 keiboom auto and so on
Old 05-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #63
prospects
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
yep, just like they were last year. two packs of chrome cards you cannot buy anywhere else
except ebay, blowout etc
Old 05-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #64
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
except ebay, blowout etc
would like to buy some from them @$14.99
Old 05-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #65
prospects
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
would like to buy some from them @$14.99
me too, in fact, just buy everything u find and I will give u 15 bucks
Old 05-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #66
Hail2TheVictors

Quote:
Learn something new everyday. Wow, there aren't Ohtani autos in this. Thanks, how would I ever have known?
Hail2TheVictors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #67
Tim

Quote:
Learn something new everyday. Wow, there aren't Ohtani autos in this. Thanks, how would I ever have known?
Figured you had no clue since you made the faulty argument that since a product WITH Ohtani autos was doing well, that a product WITHOUT Ohtani autographs would follow suit. Happy to help you "learn" something new!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #68
blackbears86

All I know is I'm in for all I can get at $14.99 a pop.
blackbears86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #69
auctionjmm

It's a good buy if you are treating it as a lottery ticket. You spend $15 for some chance at a major prospect auto.

It may also be a good buy if you are planning to hold for months and wait for the product to dry up to re-sell the boxes.

For me (someone who rips in quantity) it isn't a good buy because I don't see resale value of single cards clearing $15 per box on average. There will be plenty of boxes (with a presumed production increase) that have 5 packs of base cards and 2 packs of base mega cards. If you need to get to $25 to clear $5 profit after fees and shipping, I don't think I'd recommend breaking 100 boxes. I'd save the money for Topps Chrome retail where you get 8 chrome packs for $20 and much better odds on parallels.

Obviously my perspective is different. If I was a collector on a $50 budget I'd probably buy 3 Megas and take the gamble. But folks talking about buying out every Target and accumulating tons of boxes should have a realistic plan for how they are going to move those, especially if we find that production is up and there are multiple restocks coming. That's all I was trying to say earlier.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #70
Cubsfanp

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
It's a good buy if you are treating it as a lottery ticket. You spend $15 for some chance at a major prospect auto.

It may also be a good buy if you are planning to hold for months and wait for the product to dry up to re-sell the boxes.

For me (someone who rips in quantity) it isn't a good buy because I don't see resale value of single cards clearing $15 per box on average. There will be plenty of boxes (with a presumed production increase) that have 5 packs of base cards and 2 packs of base mega cards. If you need to get to $25 to clear $5 profit after fees and shipping, I don't think I'd recommend breaking 100 boxes. I'd save the money for Topps Chrome retail where you get 8 chrome packs for $20 and much better odds on parallels.

Obviously my perspective is different. If I was a collector on a $50 budget I'd probably buy 3 Megas and take the gamble. But folks talking about buying out every Target and accumulating tons of boxes should have a realistic plan for how they are going to move those, especially if we find that production is up and there are multiple restocks coming. That's all I was trying to say earlier.
Really disagree with the lottery comparison, especially when there isn't Ohtani autos to create a big chase. Are there some big hits? Sure, but the base and parallels make it a great value.

It is a popular, collectable, and well received set that will retain value. Especially when some guys break out. The Chrome megas will be highly sought after.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #71
Stech36

Some people are forgetting that you can sell the regular bowman packs for around $1 a pack. So it’s really more like $10 for these 2 packs.
Stech36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #72
pack9001

Bukauskas has mojo chrome and parallels so I'm happy. If I do see any in the wild, I will pick them up, but won't go hunting the way I did last year. Too much running around to just end up buying the ones I want individually anyway.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #73
Hail2TheVictors

Quote:
Figured you had no clue since you made the faulty argument that since a product WITH Ohtani autos was doing well, that a product WITHOUT Ohtani autographs would follow suit. Happy to help you "learn" something new!
It would help if you didn't frame my post to fit your narrative. My first post in this thread was replying to someone who referenced it being crazy to call this product weak. I replied saying this:

"It's pretty silly. For $15, please show me a better buy. It's a really fun rip, and with guys like Florial, Baez, Gleyber, Kieboom etc there is some upside there.

Need I remind people what 2018 Bowman hobby/jumbo boxes are selling for? This is a great product. It's not the 2017 version, but for crying out loud thats one of the best products we will ever see."

You then left out over half of my post, and just quoted the silly comment and the mention of 2018 bowman prices. I didn't mention 2018 bowman prices to imply 2018 mega box prices have any correlation. Because they don't. I simply made reference as a way to say "hey, we have a 2018 bowman product that is decently priced and still has some hits to chase". Perhaps I should've clarified, but it's ridiculous to take those 2 sentences from my post to run with this narrative that I think the product will do well because 2018 bowman did well.

The checklist isn't as strong as 2017, but it's still a great product IMO at that price point.
Hail2TheVictors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #74
Ferg1945

Don't forget kids.....

Year 1 - A release is great... Not much printed... very popular

Year 2 - We will print 20 gazillion... odds are worse.... people hate it
Ferg1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #75
bradical

Hopefully parallels will make it into the regular packs included the Mega Boxes this year.