AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 10-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Banned

Default Saturday Mild Speculation

Had a guy that works at my LCS that told me to stock up
* GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1 EXCLUSIVE DETROIT COMICBOOKSTORES VARIANT (3000 print run and apparently a lot where damaged during shipping) One the movie drops and if it's successful watch out
* THOR #337 ( Got a hunch Beta Ray Bill will make an appearance in Thor 2)
* Harley Quinn #3 (pillow fight cover) Indy tried to tell everyone a few months ago.... This book is super hot and was impossible to find at NYCC after day 2 per my friends
8802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
talktoofast

picked up a Harley Quinn 3 earlier in the week
I sawe the detroit variant at a nearby LCS recently so will grab if still there & cheers for heads up on BRB
talktoofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Kuma

good looks on those. May be hard to find some but the hunt will be worth it
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
DNOC

What do you think about the brood and badoon showing up at end of Thor 2? They will likely do so to lead into Guardians of the Galaxy. I guess Beta Ray is a possibility but don't see it myself, curious why you think so?
DNOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Banned

Read this article and thought he was way too informed about a character that isn't mainstream Marvel

Chris Hemsworth Discusses THOR 2 And Beta Ray Bill
Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Tivo32

That Detroit exclusive GOTG #1 is sweet! I'm going to pick up a couple.

Who I collect: Cam Fowler, Milan Lucic, Tim Thomas, D-men, Bruins
Tivo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Banned

I really liked the cover on that Detroit GotG #1 variant as well, has character, and its relatively cheap still on ebay. I bought 4 at $9-13 this past week
Old 10-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
bigboytoys
Banned

Nova # 1 is one to watch... If GoTG becomes successful, I can see marvel grow their "space" characters and lead to Infinity Gauntlet
bigboytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
Banned

I think you're right Nova #1 can still be had for under $50 bucks in -NM
Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #10
DNOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8802 View Post
Read this article and thought he was way too informed about a character that isn't mainstream Marvel

Basically that article says that Hemsworth read about Beta Ray Bill when he first was given the Thor role. Sounds to me like he just happened to pick up that story first. They even go on to say "While there has been no rumor or news that Beta Ray Bill will be featured". Yet the articles intention is exactly that, to create a rumor. Just my opinion though. Thanks for sharing yours.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #11
Banned

I just thought it was very random for him to answer questions about it, you definitely are right though, just speculating.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
DNOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboytoys View Post
Nova # 1 is one to watch... If GoTG becomes successful, I can see marvel grow their "space" characters and lead to Infinity Gauntlet
Personally I wouldn't say "if", more "when". Not buying a Nova #1 is just stupid, it's a no brainer. From the get go Nova was rumored with the stars in the back of the concept art, then the nova corps being confirmed was the nail in the coffin. With thier current line up, they really have no other route than the cosmic universe. Popular cosmic universe characters are a good bet. They are already playing the time travel card, so likley anythings a go. They can basically use that to reverse any story/timeline. I believe they are headed towards annihilation.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #13
DNOC

Quote:
I just thought it was very random for him to answer questions about it, you definitely are right though, just speculating.
For sure, and I can't definitively say he won't be. Could be an interesting way to replace Hemsworth if down the line he starts complaining about not being paid enough.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #14
Muaythai

Remember buying nova super cheap
Muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
DNOC

Quote:

I did some additional research and your speculation has very solid merits. There was a Guardians of the Galaxy Movie Call sheet Leak, regarding characters Bereet and Ti Asha appearing. Sheet Leaks: Reveals Infinity, Korbinite, Xandar & Hulk Girlfriend. Ti Asha is a Korbinite and as seen in some of the set pictures you can see the yellowish/orange aliens:

Beta Ray Bill is also a Korbinite and there is said to be 2 credit scene's in Thor, so humm...
Old 10-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
Banned

Well Done : ) finding a good copy of Thor #337 seems to be difficult though. I found two the past few months.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
Kuma

Well, Im sure he had to read the thor books extensively for the role, but i would like to see Bill come in at some point
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #18
aaronchua

Well sadly, no Beta Ray in Thor 2.
There is always thor 3!!
Old 11-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
fastballspecial

Thor 337 was heavily speculated years ago. It has fluctuated up and down over the years it was down a lot until here recently. Thor 344 has seen its day finally and I think the price will not increase much more then it is currently.

Nova, Quasar, and Nebula are currently reasonable cheap pickups that will reap benefits later. Quasar is especially cheap as is Nebula. Nova and Ms Marvel are seeing jumps over the last few months. I cant keep a Nova 1 or Ms Marvel 1 in stock for more then a few days in any grade.

All the other GoG stars/players are now becoming too costly to be worth it I think. I am still finding early Groot appearances cheap that sell very well, but its getting harder.

Harley Quinn is exploding across the board. Here early appearances will now start to appreciate over the next few months. Those Batman strikes appearances are very difficult to find just due to print run. I had np selling here One shot Harley Quinn as well.

Look for Apocalypse stuff to keep rising as the move gets closes as well as Mr. Sinister both seem to be on the rise lately. Lobo seems to have made a great recover for DC as well with 1st app and last issue selling way better then normal.

The only thing recently I have seen that I think will do well over time is Letter 44. Been a long time since I read a first issue that good. Apparently networks agree as its already been optioned for TV way too earlier, but I can understand execs wanted it.
fastballspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
bigboytoys
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastballspecial View Post

Nova, Quasar, and Nebula are currently reasonable cheap pickups that will reap benefits later. Quasar is especially cheap as is Nebula. Nova and Ms Marvel are seeing jumps over the last few months. I cant keep a Nova 1 or Ms Marvel 1 in stock for more then a few days in any grade.
Hulk 234 = Quasar
CGC Census
9.8 = only 19
9.6 = only 15

Nova 1

CGC Census
9.8 = 89
9.8 SS = only 8

Avengers 257 - Nebula
CGC Census
9.8 = only 22

Last edited by bigboytoys; 11-05-2013 at 08:02 PM.
bigboytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
mcduck71

I'm 42 and been out the mix for a decade, but I do remember hunting down Thor 337 back in the day when it first came out, couldn't find the "hobby version" if thats what you call it, spiderman at the bottom right, just the UPC version, I don't know know what happened to all of them, my brother and I loaded up on that issue, just brings back memories
mcduck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
aaronchua

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastballspecial View Post
Thor 337 was heavily speculated years ago. It has fluctuated up and down over the years it was down a lot until here recently. Thor 344 has seen its day finally and I think the price will not increase much more then it is currently.
Thanks for the education!

I love posts like this that gives us newbies a sense of context and history. Folks like me who just come into this hobby will go around looking for 'undervalued' issues, not knowing they might already have gone through the speculation hype and such.

Cheers!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
Chance

My favorite bad guy in the movie is Kurse. In the comics, He beat the hell out of Beta Ray Bill, and made Thor go get the belt of power and the gloves of power just so he could matchup to Kurse. At the end of the story he ended up hating Malekith and was sent to Hel so that he could take out his revenge on him. I'm just saying that I'm hoping for one of the big fights is going to be between Thor and Kurse.

First appearance of Kurse is in Secret Wars II issue 4. Thor 347 is another appearance but he wasn't Kurse yet.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #24
Chance

Kurse - Marvel Universe Wiki: The definitive online source for Marvel super hero bios.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #25
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboytoys View Post
Hulk 234 = Quasar
CGC Census
9.8 = only 19
9.6 = only 15

Nova 1

CGC Census
9.8 = 89
9.8 SS = only 8

Avengers 257 - Nebula
CGC Census
9.8 = only 22
Don't let the low census numbers fool you on the Quasar and Nebula books. Until the last few months, there was very little reason to slab them. Those numbers will go up quickly as the dollar box prospectors begin pulling them out. I've been setting aside my 9.8 candidates for these books and I have about half a short box and I haven't even been looking as fervently as I would like.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote