Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #501
ryanvas

How many RC Actions do you think they put in the set? 5 (2016), 6 (2017) or more?
Who do you think/hope they include?

My five are:
Hoskins
Devers
Robles
Rosario (homer pick)
Frazier
Also have Verdugo, Buehler (if you want a pitcher), Hays, Smith, Bader
ryanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #502
kyle1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
In my wildest, wettest dreams, I could never expect anyone to pay me even $1000 for a case of Heritage. I chuckle at these prices...
Agree 3 years ago I would laugh at that.
Then 2015 HHN happened

For the lucky ones who can’t still get 5-10 cases at cost

It is best deal in hobby.

1-500 are already selling for 350

Half your case is getting paid for right off the top

Hard core heritage collectors will cringe at this

But I think they should figure out a way to make a 3rd

Heritage like product.

Series 1 2 high

Or something way out of the box

Make a custom product starting with the 1950s feel

Make a product the looks vintage but with a new base card look
A fantasy look.. something you have never seen but you
Would think this is 1950 60 70 etc

Could come up with many ideas. Heritage Tiffany ?

With so many crappy products. I don’t think 3 heritage products would hurt anything
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #503
prospects
Banned

Give it to me straight fellas. 1175 for a case.

What is the absolute worst return on value one could expect back?
prospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #504
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post

tree fiddy
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #505
Stech36

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post

$500 if you get terrible names with all your inserts
Stech36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #506
prospects
Banned

Thank you sir
prospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:22 PM   #507
mfw13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
Agree 3 years ago I would laugh at that.
Then 2015 HHN happened

For the lucky ones who can’t still get 5-10 cases at cost

It is best deal in hobby.

1-500 are already selling for 350

Half your case is getting paid for right off the top

Hard core heritage collectors will cringe at this

Heritage like product.

Series 1 2 high

Or something way out of the box

Make a custom product starting with the 1950s feel

Make a product the looks vintage but with a new base card look
A fantasy look.. something you have never seen but you
Would think this is 1950 60 70 etc

Could come up with many ideas. Heritage Tiffany ?
Isn't that kinda what Archives was supposed to be before they drove up box prices by stuffing it with movie star autos and rookies?

How about instead of creating a new "Heritage" type product, they simply return Heritage to what it was from 2001-2015?

The problem isn't the Heritage concept, it's the fact that with prospecting and case-breaking assuming a larger and larger economic role in the hobby, Topps can't resist the temptation to stuff every single product with rookies and expensive SSP's.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:30 PM   #508
Technochocolate

Man, the discussion is converting even me off the set building bandwagon.

I really want Heritage to stay a set collector product, but if more people don't want that, then fine. Such is life.
Technochocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:38 PM   #509
GreatAlbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
Isn't that kinda what Archives was supposed to be before they drove up box prices by stuffing it with movie star autos and rookies?

How about instead of creating a new "Heritage" type product, they simply return Heritage to what it was from 2001-2015?

The problem isn't the Heritage concept, it's the fact that with prospecting and case-breaking assuming a larger and larger economic role in the hobby, Topps can't resist the temptation to stuff every single product with rookies and expensive SSP's.
Agreed on Archives, they kinda killed it when they added the movie stuff in. Wish they would go back to the $60-70/box product with two junk autos usually.

With Heritage, it has had the SSPs since 2013 I believe, so not sure where 2015 is coming from. The rookie stuffing isn't very abundant either IMO. It provides another segment of collector to take advantage of some lower priced RCs. I think the problem you have is more the fact that Judge stuff went crazy last year and drove prices through the roof on EVERY SINGLE 2018 product, not just Heritage.

I cant really blame Topps. If I ran a company and knew I could get more money out of a product by adding things to it, I would do the exact same thing. Evolution is necessary in this hobby and Topps has done Heritage right.

Find it funny that I saw negativity on this thread and knew exactly who it would be. Curious if you work for Panini or Leaf?

Bottom Line: Every single year its the same argument, and every single year Heritage continues to produce gold for collectors/hobbyists looking at it from every angle.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #510
mfw13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAlbert View Post
Agreed on Archives, they kinda killed it when they added the movie stuff in. Wish they would go back to the $60-70/box product with two junk autos usually.

With Heritage, it has had the SSPs since 2013 I believe, so not sure where 2015 is coming from. The rookie stuffing isn't very abundant either IMO. It provides another segment of collector to take advantage of some lower priced RCs. I think the problem you have is more the fact that Judge stuff went crazy last year and drove prices through the roof on EVERY SINGLE 2018 product, not just Heritage.

I cant really blame Topps. If I ran a company and knew I could get more money out of a product by adding things to it, I would do the exact same thing. Evolution is necessary in this hobby and Topps has done Heritage right.

Find it funny that I saw negativity on this thread and knew exactly who it would be. Curious if you work for Panini or Leaf?

Bottom Line: Every single year its the same argument, and every single year Heritage continues to produce gold for collectors/hobbyists looking at it from every angle.
No....I'm an ESL teacher....and a long-term collector (since 1977) who thinks that the hobby has swung too much in the direction of prospecting and case-breaking, and thinks that Topps needs to do a better job of differentiating it's product line so that there are affordable products for EVERY segment of the hobby (and type of collector).

There are pretty much ZERO products outside of flagship that someone can affordably set build these days....
Old 02-05-2018, 11:48 PM   #511
ThoseBackPages

the SSPs started in 2009 i believe
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #512
base set

Quote:

Heritage like product.

Series 1 2 high
you kind of propose what seems to me an obvious answer to your own proposal - just go all Heritage like with an historical release strategy - "New 3rd Series" - like hadwaytoomuch was suggesting on here a week or two back now.
base set is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #513
base set

I'm not a fan of 1969 or 1970 Topps (though I do hope they pose at least one player (Vincent Velazquez?) in some wicked cool sunglasses at Picture Day here in a few weeks, though come to think of it, that hip Palmer card was shot in an MLB stadium, so they will have 162 chances to get it just right this season, for use on next year's set)

anyway, for me, 2020 Heritage can't come soon enough - maybe we will get a tricky white border parallel.

this year though, I am glad there will be some black border cards. the 1969 color name badge deal will look nice on those. I wish they were the blister pack inserts again though, but as /50 Hobby pulls, y'all will do well with them, I expect.
base set is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 AM   #514
parkerj33

The first heritage ssp was inadvertently the 2006 Gordon cutout. Nothing in 2007 then two in 08: smoltz lefty and Santana Mets. From that point it was “on” with ssp’s. 2012 was first year with the “action” and “color swap” variations. Although the action were really image swaps. Still the idea was magical. Perfect adding of value for collectors with no real cost to topps. That’s how you run a successful product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
parkerj33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:27 AM   #515
kyle1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by base set View Post
you kind of propose what seems to me an obvious answer to your own proposal - just go all Heritage like with an historical release strategy - "New 3rd Series" - like hadwaytoomuch was suggesting on here a week or two back now.
I actually like the idea of going back to 52 after 75

My idea which I am having trouble explaining I realize

Say start over with 52. But make an all new looking base set design

Something that has an early 50’s feel

But it’s new ... hell have a contest

Have collectors submit customs for the best 50’s fantasy base Card

Could even vote on it.

I’m sure I’m really reaching here. But ginter and queen are boring me

I think it would work as long as the feel was vintage set building

Seeing Harper trout Bryan judge in that 50s feel would be embraced
Old 02-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #516
tribefan26

Quote:
Heritage case prices started rising as soon as they were released last year and reached $1,200 two weeks after release when spring training was still going on. The real craziness for Judge hype didn't hit until May/June
tribefan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #517
Chrisyork33

Quote:
No....I'm an ESL teacher....and a long-term collector (since 1977) who thinks that the hobby has swung too much in the direction of prospecting and case-breaking, and thinks that Topps needs to do a better job of differentiating it's product line so that there are affordable products for EVERY segment of the hobby (and type of collector).

There are pretty much ZERO products outside of flagship that someone can affordably set build these days....
I am a set collector as well, so I understand the joy of the chase of putting a set together. To play devil's advocate though, when you first started collecting Topps only produced one set that was relatively affordable to put together. So in that way, there is a similarity to today's landscape. I hope you can find a way to enjoy the hobby on your terms.
Chrisyork33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:53 AM   #518
GreatAlbert

Quote:

Build the 1-400. That's easy and affordable to do. Two boxes for $200.

Otherwise, pretty sure most products offered in retail form are affordable and you can buy base lots for pretty cheap if you look in the right places to put sets together. It takes effort, but most don't have that anymore.

Heritage isn't traditionally a product that most case breakers will break, simply because it is time consuming and needs to be handled with care for all the Errors/Variations/etc, nor does it have any prospects, so I don't know what Heritage has to change with its offering.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:54 AM   #519
rwperu34

Quote:

Otherwise, pretty sure most products offered in retail form are affordable and you can buy base lots for pretty cheap if you look in the right places to put sets together. It takes effort, but most don't have that anymore.

Heritage isn't traditionally a product that most case breakers will break, simply because it is time consuming and needs to be handled with care for all the Errors/Variations/etc, nor does it have any prospects, so I don't know what Heritage has to change with its offering.
If I were a set builder, this is exactly how I'd do it.
rwperu34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #520
MotorboatJones

Have I mentioned that I can’t wait for release day !
MotorboatJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #521
mfw13

Quote:
Building 1-400 is pointless. Not only is it not the complete set, but it's also missing almost all of the stars, who are SP's (i.e. 401-500).

It's not something I've harped on a lot, but going from 75 SP's to 100 SP's without increasing the insertion ratio was incredibly stupid. It made the set harder and more expensive for builders to complete, AND did nothing to increase profits for case-builders (since the insertion ratio stayed the same).

Heritage needs to be:

100 SP's @ 2:3 packs (i.e. 16 per box)....takes six boxes to build the set
75 SP's @ 1:2 packs (i.e. 12 per box)....takes six boxes to build the set
50 SP's @ 1:3 packs (i.e. 8 per box)...takes six boxes to build the set

Right now, at 100 SP's at only 8 per box, and with box prices around $90 each, it's simply too expensive to do for most set builders....
Old 02-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #522
mfw13

Quote:
I actually like the idea of going back to 52 after 75

My idea which I am having trouble explaining I realize

Say start over with 52. But make an all new looking base set design

Something that has an early 50’s feel

But it’s new ... hell have a contest

Have collectors submit customs for the best 50’s fantasy base Card

Could even vote on it.

I’m sure I’m really reaching here. But ginter and queen are boring me

I think it would work as long as the feel was vintage set building

Seeing Harper trout Bryan judge in that 50s feel would be embraced
My thought has always been that Topps should start utilizing it's non-baseball designs for baseball products. There are some great 1950's/1960's Topps football and hockey designs, as well as some great 1970's Topps basketball designs. And people would go gaga over a baseball set using the original 1977 Star Wars design (Topps used this for an oversize set a couple of years ago).

Last edited by mfw13; 02-06-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #523
mfw13

Quote:
Not true at all.

Case-breakers are all over Heritage because of how popular it usually is.

And starting in 2016, the Real One auto checklist has been filled with the hottest rookies...last year had Judge, Benitendi, Bregman, Alex Reyes, Carson Fulmer, Swanson, Dahl, Moncada, Sano, Seager, Story, Giolito, Jake Thompson, and Renfroe (some of whom had autos in 2016 HHN).

Ask Brent how many cases he is breaking....
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #524
kyle1707

Quote:
My thought has always been that Topps should start utilizing it's non-baseball designs for baseball products. There are some great 1950's/1960's Topps football and hockey designs, as well as some great 1970's Topps basketball designs. And people would go gaga over a baseball set using the original 1977 Star Wars design (Topps used this for an oversize set a couple of years ago).
i like it
Old 02-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #525
coachnip13

Quote:
Case-breakers are all over Heritage because of how popular it usually is.
And it is still wildly popular, despite your claim that Topps is "stupid" for the way they have handled the product.
coachnip13 is offline   Reply With Quote