AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #101
GoldPanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Because choosing where you are going to live the next several years and where you are going to finish your short baseball career that you only get one chance at has got to be an easy decision to make.
Considering the fact that he has played in both cities several times it should. I have moved places while only visiting the town for a weekend. Besides that I amp most certain he knew that he didn’t want to play for the cardinals.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #102
FlashGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolG View Post
He was a Mantle fan
I’ve never seen a quote that he wants to be HOF wearing pinstripes
Please provide.......
He’s got a better chance of being a Cub than Yank.
I can't find the SI article but here is the bleacher report article quoting it.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ew-york-yankee
FlashGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #103
notoriousrmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
The Dodgers/Yankees news was leaked to pressure the Giants/Cardinals I bet.

It still might happen but all of a sudden he'd ONLY go there?

Come on
Giants and Cardinals have no pressure - they both made the top offers. If Stanton doesn't want to go there, its not on either of those teams.

Stanton has all the say at this point, if one of his 4 teams wants to make an offer, then THEY have the pressure to beat what SF/STL have on the table.
notoriousrmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #104
CoolG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
I can't find the SI article but here is the bleacher report article quoting it.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ew-york-yankee
article from almost 10 years ago
I just haven’t seen anything recent that he wants to play for the Yankees in fact he’s made references numerous times in the past five years about not playing in NY.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sport...m12p2w750kje6e

Last edited by CoolG; 12-08-2017 at 11:12 AM.
CoolG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #105
GoldPanner

Craig mish who has been the best at breaking Stanton news just tweeted that the dodgers have a 60% chance for him the the giants have 25% cardinals have 10% and the Yankees have 5%
Old 12-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #106
FlashGordon

Quote:
Ahh article from 10 years ago
Nothing recent since he’s been in league

I was just providing as you asked, an article that shows he has stated before he wants to be a Yankee. Not arguing over him being a Cub or a Yankee.
FlashGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #107
EDMTunesCollect

Quote:
He’s got a better chance of being a Cub than Yank.
LMFAOOOOOOO
EDMTunesCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #108
CoolG

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMTunesCollect View Post
LMFAOOOOOOO
Book it
He won’t end up in NY
but Chicago is in play

Last edited by CoolG; 12-09-2017 at 03:20 PM.
CoolG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #109
mfw13

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousrmb View Post
Giants and Cardinals have no pressure - they both made the top offers. If Stanton doesn't want to go there, its not on either of those teams.

Stanton has all the say at this point, if one of his 4 teams wants to make an offer, then THEY have the pressure to beat what SF/STL have on the table.
No. He doesn't have all the say. The teams that he wants to "force" to trade for him do. If they say that they're not interested in taking on his salary, he can't force the Marlins to trade him.

At this point, he is in danger of not only over-playing his hand and ending up stuck in Miami, but also coming out of this whole process looking like a complete tool. After all, nobody forced him to sign his extension with the Marlins. He would have been a free agent with the ability to sign with his beloved Dodgers after the 2016 season if he hadn't. And even now, he's got an opt-out in three years.

If his attitude is that the Giants and Cardinals are not good enough for him (two of the most historical and well-run franchises in MLB, never mind being annual contenders), then he's going to look like a real idiot.
mfw13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #110
Boo

If anywhere, he is going to the Giants
Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #111
devo

I personally want nothing to do with Stanton as a Yankee fan.

This is a guy who averaged 115 games played a year from 2012-16 due to injuries.

He has 10 years remaining on his contract which means he'll be 38 by the end of it. I don't think there's a chance in hell that he'll be worth his salary anymore once he hits age 33, maybe much sooner if his injury problems persist.

I'm not worried though, because the Yankees are absolutely not getting him. It would destroy their plans to get under the luxury tax threshold so it's not happening, thankfully.

Edit: Although I do think Judge and Stanton together would have Mantle/Maris in '61 potential, I still don't think it would be worth the salary and prospect cost.

Last edited by devo; 12-08-2017 at 02:07 PM.
devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #112
enbambam6986

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
No. He doesn't have all the say. The teams that he wants to "force" to trade for him do. If they say that they're not interested in taking on his salary, he can't force the Marlins to trade him.

At this point, he is in danger of not only over-playing his hand and ending up stuck in Miami, but also coming out of this whole process looking like a complete tool. After all, nobody forced him to sign his extension with the Marlins. He would have been a free agent with the ability to sign with his beloved Dodgers after the 2016 season if he hadn't. And even now, he's got an opt-out in three years.

If his attitude is that the Giants and Cardinals are not good enough for him (two of the most historical and well-run franchises in MLB, never mind being annual contenders), then he's going to look like a real idiot.
You're saying he's a tool because he is using his no trade clause? Nobody forced the Marlins to give it to him.

Also, ever think that he actually liked the direction that the Marlins were going? You think he signs that deal if Jose Fernandez wasn't an ace? Highly doubt it

I don't see how he's the bad guy here
enbambam6986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #113
jv25

So you ask for proof, someone takes time to give it to you, and you still argue it. lol classic

Quote:
article from almost 10 years ago
I just haven’t seen anything recent that he wants to play for the Yankees in fact he’s made references numerous times in the past five years about not playing in NY.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #114
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldPanner View Post
Considering the fact that he has played in both cities several times it should. I have moved places while only visiting the town for a weekend. Besides that I amp most certain he knew that he didn’t want to play for the cardinals.
If money is the same (which it is in his case) and I had multiple options about where I am potentially finishing my career I would lose sleep every night about it. Would not be an easy decision. Everyone is different.
Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #115
Gradek

Stanton doesn't have nearly as much leverage as some here think. The Marlins need to dump salary and want prospects in return. If Stanton overplays his had, they will dump Yelich/Ozuna (they already dumped Gordon) and Stanton will be stuck on a horrible team where he never sees a decent pitch unless the Marlins are down by 5.
Gradek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #116
Numba1yankeefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradek View Post
Stanton doesn't have nearly as much leverage as some here think. The Marlins need to dump salary and want prospects in return. If Stanton overplays his had, they will dump Yelich/Ozuna (they already dumped Gordon) and Stanton will be stuck on a horrible team where he never sees a decent pitch unless the Marlins are down by 5.
looks like he's gonna have plenty of pitches to hit then
Old 12-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #117
lisu

I hope the Giants get Yelich or Ozuna instead.
lisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #118
AnthonyCorona

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisu View Post
I hope the Giants get Yelich or Ozuna instead.
I think Yelich would be great. Some speed in that huge outfield is a must. Pence is slow, Span is always hurt and Gorkys......

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #119
CharlieHustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by enbambam6986 View Post
You're saying he's a tool because he is using his no trade clause? Nobody forced the Marlins to give it to him.

Also, ever think that he actually liked the direction that the Marlins were going? You think he signs that deal if Jose Fernandez wasn't an ace? Highly doubt it

I don't see how he's the bad guy here
He's not the bad guy, but there is a lot of potential that he comes out of this looking like a business buffoon. By putting the Cards/Giants deal in jeopardy, he runs the risk of not being traded at all.

Just as easily as I could imagine a scenario with Stanton becoming a WS MVP on the Yankees or Dodgers, I could also imagine a scenario where he stays on the Marlins and plays through a very long season, getting booed at home and on the road.

I know one thing, if he goes to the Dodgers, he'll be the biggest villain that Giants fans have ever seen. Puig gets a nice chorus of boos now, because of the ongoing beef with Bumgarner, but if Stanton came to town in Dodger blue? He'll be the new standard of rivalry hatred.
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #120
moosetequila

From 2 player expectations, to got squat reality...
moosetequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #121
Hollywood42

Hard to look like a business buffoon when you've already guaranteed yourself hundreds of millions of dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle View Post
He's not the bad guy, but there is a lot of potential that he comes out of this looking like a business buffoon. By putting the Cards/Giants deal in jeopardy, he runs the risk of not being traded at all.

Just as easily as I could imagine a scenario with Stanton becoming a WS MVP on the Yankees or Dodgers, I could also imagine a scenario where he stays on the Marlins and plays through a very long season, getting booed at home and on the road.

I know one thing, if he goes to the Dodgers, he'll be the biggest villain that Giants fans have ever seen. Puig gets a nice chorus of boos now, because of the ongoing beef with Bumgarner, but if Stanton came to town in Dodger blue? He'll be the new standard of rivalry hatred.
Hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #122
CharlieHustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
Hard to look like a business buffoon when you've already guaranteed yourself hundreds of millions of dollars
If your long term view only extends through the next 3 baseball season, then sure. But, his opt-out clause was written into his contract for a reason and it's not so he can continue to get paid 30 million a year, for the duration of his contract. In 6 years, if Bryce Harper is pulling down 50 million a year and Stanton is ring-less, pulling down 30, he just might be kicking himself about overplaying his hand in the winter of 2017.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #123
CharlieHustle

Not to mention, he is currently running the risk of making himself the biggest villain in baseball, right now.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #124
Hollywood42

I think that's a little over the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle View Post
Not to mention, he is currently running the risk of making himself the biggest villain in baseball, right now.
Hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #125
CharlieHustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
I think that's a little over the top
I don't think so, at all. If no trade takes place, the media and the baseball community could turn on him in a heart beat. He could get labeled as a prima dona very quickly and make teams weary to deal with him. Miami management will be very quick to throw him under the bus, when they blow up the team and blame it on him. At the least, if no trade takes place, he's getting booed in 3 NL cities next year, including at home.