Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Notices

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

Old 05-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
AnthonyCorona

Default An eBay question I should probably know

I usually only sell cards but my wife has been using my account to flip clothes, shoes etc and she asked me a question I have no clue about. Does shipping cost figure into the FVF? She called me because she read that eBay is now taking 10% of the sell and shipping. Honestly, for me, they could have been doing this for a long time and I wouldn't have known because when I charge shipping it's $3 but she had some boots she charged $13 for. She just asked me and I had no clue, any help is appreciated.

Before anyone asks, I did google it but didn't see what she was talking about.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Svetlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
I usually only sell cards but my wife has been using my account to flip clothes, shoes etc and she asked me a question I have no clue about. Does shipping cost figure into the FVF? She called me because she read that eBay is now taking 10% of the sell and shipping. Honestly, for me, they could have been doing this for a long time and I wouldn't have known because when I charge shipping it's $3 but she had some boots she charged $13 for. She just asked me and I had no clue, any help is appreciated.

Before anyone asks, I did google it but didn't see what she was talking about.

Yes, they take 10% of the shipping as well. Has been like that for a few years now, actually.
I beleive the rationale back then was they wanted to stop people from creating their listings with lower item prices but inflated shipping costs to circumvent the fees.
Svetlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
PoPCulture

They have been doing this for many years, probably close to a decade. Was in response to sellers selling their $100 items for $3.00 then charging $100 for shipping.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
AnthonyCorona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svetlov View Post
Yes, they take 10% of the shipping as well. Has been like that for a few years now, actually.
I beleive the rationale back then was they wanted to stop people from creating their listings with lower item prices but inflated shipping costs to circumvent the fees.
Makes a lot of sense, also makes sense why they give the discount. Thanks a lot

Old 05-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
shrevecity

It was around the same time they stopped sellers from leaving negs which was in 2009 or 2010
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
xbignick

Click account and on the right select an invoice and you'll see the breakdown of what exactly they charge you for in each invoice.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:50 PM   #7
coreydean

It's exactly the reason they started taking a cut of the shipping. People started listing cards for $1 BIN and making the rest up in shipping. Others soon caught on and started doing the same thing. Didn't take ebay long to catch on themselves and begin to take a cut of the shipping too.

coreydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:31 AM   #8
shrevecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydean View Post
It's exactly the reason they started taking a cut of the shipping. People started listing cards for $1 BIN and making the rest up in shipping. Others soon caught on and started doing the same thing. Didn't take ebay long to catch on themselves and begin to take a cut of the shipping too.

It was nothing new when they did it, had been happening in most categories since Ebay was started . Its also why they did away with the .01 cent fixed price item in the early 2000s(2003 or 2004), with that you cold price a 100 dollar item for .01 and 99.99 shipping and Ebay would get no fees.

Sportscards was not the biggest category or the first category where people did it.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
coreydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post
It was nothing new when they did it, had been happening in most categories since Ebay was started . Its also why they did away with the .01 cent fixed price item in the early 2000s(2003 or 2004), with that you cold price a 100 dollar item for .01 and 99.99 shipping and Ebay would get no fees.

Sportscards was not the biggest category or the first category where people did it.
Sportscards was the only category I was playing around in. Wasn't aware it was so prevalent in other categories too. I guess people selling toilet paper and tampons or whatever are just as morally bankrupt as those in the sports card world lol.

coreydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #10
shrevecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydean View Post
Sportscards was the only category I was playing around in. Wasn't aware it was so prevalent in other categories too. I guess people selling toilet paper and tampons or whatever are just as morally bankrupt as those in the sports card world lol.

I doubt sportscards are even in the top 20 of the fraud categories on Ebay. Designer Purses, Cell Phones, Electronics and Jewelry I know outpace cards. I am sure there are many others that do so as well.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
AnthonyCorona

I think it's crazy. I just don't have a scamming mind so I wouldn't think of doing that but some people love that stuff

Old 05-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
shrevecity

Same reason why they started charging sellers for ending auctions that have bids on them early. You are charged what the FVF would be of the highest bid shown on the item. Same reason they are likely to find some way in the future to charge sellers who pull fixed price items early.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
AnthonyCorona

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post
Same reason why they started charging sellers for ending auctions that have bids on them early. You are charged what the FVF would be of the highest bid shown on the item. Same reason they are likely to find some way in the future to charge sellers who pull fixed price items early.
Unless there's some eBay message that's suspicious I think that would be wrong. So many different avenues to sell, people cross post all the time.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #14
shrevecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
Unless there's some eBay message that's suspicious I think that would be wrong. So many different avenues to sell, people cross post all the time.

The day is coming.

It already sucks bad enough when you have as many auctions as I do running at a time and you catch a mistake in one that already has bids on it. I currently have 142 auctions running mistakes do happen when setting up that many and many times its bidders that eventually point out the error. I had one I had to end yesterday because it got double listed and the error was at 185.00, I have to eat about 17.00 in fees for that.