Blowout Cards Forums
2018 summer sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > Toys, Action Figures, Consoles

Notices

Toys, Action Figures, Consoles Post Your Hobby Talk here about all types of Toys (new and old)! GI Joe, MOTU, Star Wars, Star Trek, Hot Wheels, Atari, NES, etc

Old 03-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
frisbeesteve

Default Advice on Selling Large Matchbox Car Collection?

Hi there!

I'm looking for any advice that anybody can share about how to go about selling a large collection of Matchbox Cars. Here is some basic information about what I have:

* Approximately 450 vehicles. Mostly standard sized (1:64) items, with a handful of oversized.

* Spanning decades of 60's through 00's, however the 80's and 90's are the most heavily represented decades with only a small handful of 60's and early 70's vehicles.

* 90+% should be considered mint without dings/scratches

* Less than 25% will be accompanied by the actual matchbox, as most of the cars originated in blister packs without the matchbox. The majority of the matchboxes themselves are in very good condition, but some have older price stickers and/or additional wear.

That is the basic information. This collection is large, and weighs a ton, which will make it very difficult to ship. I'd love to wind up finding somebody local to deal with, but I know that may be difficult. I'd also love to hear from anybody that has experience shipping any kind of volume of miniature die-cast cars - what kind of packaging and approach would you recommend if I wind up breaking the collection up into smaller lots?

If anybody knows anyone that might be interested in more information about this collection, please let me know. I can provide lots of further details, including pictures via email or even uploaded to imgur, or answer any questions. I know I haven't provided the main details above regarding specific vehicles/colors, etc., but I'd rather hear from somebody or be put in contact with somebody that might actually be interested before taking the time to document and share all of the details.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

Last edited by frisbeesteve; 03-08-2018 at 06:04 PM.
frisbeesteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
trask7

Those type of collections are hard to move. If I had to sell I would sell the higher priced cars separate and then move the rest in lots on eBay or Craig’s list. Most people have buil a collection have enjoyed it and it’s hard to let go.

I had a decent hot wheels collection and sold the nicer cars and donated the rest to charity. It was 250 plus cars, it was just to time consuming and I knew I would not get back the money I had in them.

I still have some treasure hunts and took them to a sports card and toy show. I was asking $1 each and could not sell one car. I gave them away to kids who stopped by the table.

This might not be what you want to hear but moving a whole collection is difficult sometimes. Good luck
trask7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:27 AM   #3
nvsb

I agree with trask7. Tougher, but not impossible, to sell the cheaper cars. I have sold many, many Matchbox cars for people and it seems the lower priced cars sell better in groups or lots.

Not sure where you are located, but I am in Nor Cal. If you wanted someone to sell for you, I might be an option
Old 03-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
frisbeesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by trask7 View Post
Those type of collections are hard to move. If I had to sell I would sell the higher priced cars separate and then move the rest in lots on eBay or Craig’s list. Most people have buil a collection have enjoyed it and it’s hard to let go.

I had a decent hot wheels collection and sold the nicer cars and donated the rest to charity. It was 250 plus cars, it was just to time consuming and I knew I would not get back the money I had in them.

I still have some treasure hunts and took them to a sports card and toy show. I was asking $1 each and could not sell one car. I gave them away to kids who stopped by the table.

This might not be what you want to hear but moving a whole collection is difficult sometimes. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsb View Post
I agree with trask7. Tougher, but not impossible, to sell the cheaper cars. I have sold many, many Matchbox cars for people and it seems the lower priced cars sell better in groups or lots.

Not sure where you are located, but I am in Nor Cal. If you wanted someone to sell for you, I might be an option
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input! I definitely am not going into this expecting it to be easy, and all input will be considered and may help me to reformulate the approach taken - how to possibly split this up to work with smaller lots.

nvsb - PM sent
Old 03-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
BravesFan4Life

I do buy and resell at toy shows, toy cars work best in lots as previous stated, its a limited collector base in a lot of areas, I know we had a lady set up at one of our shows and sold literally 2 cars, she was upset but it just isnt what people want sometimes.
BravesFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
scfa1975

depending on what it is and cost there may be interest from me
scfa1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
frisbeesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfa1975 View Post
depending on what it is and cost there may be interest from me
PM sent