Spring Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-03-2018, 06:36 AM   #1
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Default 2016 Is Forever: Darth Bryzzo's Cubs Collection

I've been spending a good bit of my "extra" hobby time of late getting back to the somewhat daunting (but nonetheless enjoyable) project of photographically cataloguing my entire collection as it currently stands, and getting those photos sensibly organized in Flickr albums.

That overall project is going to take a while to complete, and will have to be tackled in stages.

For anyone who has ever looked through any of the stuff I currently have posted to Flickr, you know there is already quite a bit of stuff there for Kris Bryant, and then a smattering of things here and there for other players (especially Rizzo). But there's quite a bit of stuff missing at present, even for Bryant (though most of my graded Bryant stuff is up already).

For a variety of reasons--including keeping me motivated to see that project through to completion--I thought I would start this thread where I can periodically post various collection updates in a consolidated, contained spot. (If nothing else, it will make it that much easier for folks who have no interest in my collection or anything I have to say to skip over such vexing and annoying content.)

For those who do have an interest in peeking in from time to time, many thanks, and I hope that even if you aren't Cubs crazy like me, you can at least appreciate the fan and collector passion behind all of this.

Below is the link to my collection of Flickr albums. I will post to this thread as I get the various individual albums fully updated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155743...57663102210767

Thanks for looking. Feel free to PM me or post here if you wish to discuss anything related to any of this stuff.

Chad (and please do feel free to call me Chad instead of "Darth," if you prefer)

To give a little preview flavor, here are a few of my very favorite cards:

2014 Topps Heritage Minors (Photo Variation)(BGS 9.5) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_0116 by C Ando, on Flickr

2015 Topps Heritage Chrome Black Refractor (#25 of 66)(BGS 9.5) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_0122 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_9480 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_9579 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_4077 by C Ando, on Flickr

2014 Topps Heritage Minors Mystery Redemption (BGS 9.5)(2) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_3854 by C Ando, on Flickr

2015 Topps Archives (BGS 9.5+10) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_9994 by C Ando, on Flickr

2015 Topps Heritage Real One Auto (#64 of 66)(BGS 9.5 + 10) by C Ando, on Flickr

2013 Topps Archives Wrigley Field SGA (Future Stars)(BGS 9) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_9926 by C Ando, on Flickr

Last edited by Darth Bryzzo; 02-03-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Darth Bryzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:58 AM   #2
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

I have a collection album update to share right off the bat.

For some godforsaken reason(s), I decided a while ago to try to build a sort of "master set" focused on the players on the Cubs' 2016 World Series roster. Those players (and especially the young star players) constitute the organizing principle for most of the card-related portion of my collection anyway, but for these purposes, I wanted to try to pursue something challenging and fun related to 2016 itself.

So, what I arrived at over time was a goal to try to put together a "set" of most major parallels and variations of 2016 Topps Series 1, 2, Update & Chrome cards for the 25 players on the WS roster.

For practical reasons (including financial ones), I've decided to only try to be completist for unnumbered variations/parallels and those numbered variations/parallels down to /25. For all the 1/1s, /5s, and /10s in the broader set, I will get what I can of those when possible, but I don't have a stated goal of trying to chase that stuff until the end of time. And as for inserts, I'm hoping to get at least one representative example of the major inserts for each player, but I'm not going to break the bank and drive myself crazy trying to track down and land a bunch of obscure auto-relic variants and such.

This Flickr folder shows where that endeavor currently stands:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155743...57663102210767

This pursuit is probably going to occupy me for several more years, which was one of the reasons I set this goal in the first place. I've been doing it for a while now, and I've got a really good jump on it, but it will no doubt take a good bit of time to track down all of the pieces that I still need.

To the extent any of you might be able to offer any help on that front, now or in the future, here is a link to a list of what I'm most actively looking for, which I try to keep constantly updated as I acquire new items:

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...5#post13212205

(If an in-scope card does not appear in my Flickr album but is not listed on my Want List, then it means I've purchased it but not yet received it (and most likely, it's sitting in my comc inventory waiting for me to have it shipped).)

If nothing else, taking a look through that Flickr album helps drive home just how insanely many versions of each card Topps makes these days. We're not in the '80s anymore, Toto, that's for sure.

And for those who just really-need some in-post pix, here are a few of my favorite cards from this 2016 Cubs "set" sub-collection:

2016 Topps Update SSP Photo Variation (ASG Swinging) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1069 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_9724 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1256 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1186 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1204 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1288 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_9588 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_8637 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_9598 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_9506 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_0690 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1013 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1855 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1906 by C Ando, on Flickr

Last edited by Darth Bryzzo; 02-03-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
gtpcamaroz

Another great batch of Cubs cards, thanks for sharing!
gtpcamaroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
REGGIE206

That is awesome! Love it!
REGGIE206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
DaBears 1985
Banned

Thanks for posting. I had fun scrolling thru!
DaBears 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #6
IgnatiusJReilly

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IgnatiusJReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
Ferg1945

2016 was only the beginning!
Ferg1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
Neo

Great collection, thanks for sharing.

I love that Bryant Archives auto. So sweet.

Hate your enemies//Save, save your friends//Find, find your place//Speak, speak the truth
Neo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
BNB

I challenge you to a duel!

Awesome cards Chad!
Old 02-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Many thanks to all.

I'm making good progress on my next player focus update, but in the interim, wanted to mention that I do have already complete an album of my minor league card runs for the guys on the 2016 WS Roster (+ a few other players as "honorable mentions").

I posted this link in a minor league card thread on these Forums recently, so you may have already seen it. But if not, and if you enjoy minor league cards, you might find it worth a quick look.

As far as I know, I have complete minor league card runs for all of the relevant players, save for a couple of SGA variants where the same card does or doesn't have a sponsor's logo on the front, or something along those lines. However, even though a couple of national minor league card experts helped me try to pin all of this down, there's no way for anyone to know for absolute certain what all is out there in terms of minor league cards, as teams can do things like SGAs or other specials that don't make their way to the handful of national dealers and into their databases.

As a result, if you happen to know of any minor league team or league cards for any of these players that I don't have pictured here, please lmk, as I would very much like to track down anything I may be missing.

Hope you enjoy.

Album of Minor League Card Runs for Players on Cubs' 2016 WS Roster

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155743...57689171081692
Old 02-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #11
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNB View Post

Awesome cards Chad!
Thanks, Ben. And we both know you'd defeat me quickly and easily with all of your Heritage RC Gold Refractors.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #12
Homerun

Last edited by Homerun; 02-12-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Homerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
calculusdork

Man, great stuff here. Cards in the OP are fire!
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #14
eddiekyf

Nice collection! Fly the "W"
eddiekyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #15
IgnatiusJReilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNB View Post

Awesome cards Chad!

I would love to see some of Ben’s cubbies! Accept the challenge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IgnatiusJReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:47 AM   #16
skillovermyluck

great stuff ..

you are missing this card .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Bowman...cAAOSwkNtaXgxg
Old 02-04-2018, 05:53 AM   #17
Triple B

That's excellent...thanks for sharing! I have done something similar for the Toronto Blue Jays' 1992 and 1993 World Series Championship teams. I made a list of EVERY player that was on the roster for both teams and set out to find a rookie card, certified autograph and jersey card for each of them. As of right now, it's "complete" but with Topps coming out with Fan Favorite autos, more and more Jays from those teams are making autograph appearances where they had none previously.
Triple B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:56 AM   #18
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillovermyluck View Post
great stuff ..

you are missing this card .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Bowman...cAAOSwkNtaXgxg
You’re right that I don’t have that. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting one at various times, but just haven’t prioritized it. Truth be told, most of the time I think that card is pretty ugly, so I’ve kind of decided I will only get it if I can get a total steal, or if/when I otherwise run out of Bryant cards to collect.

I don’t necessarily try to collect everything for every one of my target players, at least outside of my “projects” like the minor league runs and the 2016 Topps “set.” If I really don’t like a particular card, I won’t buy it, just because it exists.

I’m basically perpetually on the fence about that particular Bryant Bowman card. I don’t have the Schwarber version of that card either. I may get them eventually, but maybe not.

It’s weird. Sometimes I dislike a card for a long time and won’t buy it, but then I see it for sale a lot over time and it starts to grow on me. Maybe that will happen with these someday.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #19
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Was able to get my album of Javy Baez cards substantially updated. I can't swear that I don't have a few cards strewn here and there in boxes that I haven't yet come across, but at the very least, this album represents 99%+ of my Javy collection at this moment.

I should have a few really cool Javy cards coming in over the next week or so, and will be sure to get them quickly added as they arrive.

Just a quick personal testimonial re: El Mago:

I know a lot of people (especially non-Cubs fans) can't stand the guy. I get it. But I gotta say, I absolutely love him. I know he's too cocky at times. I know his complete and utter lack of plate discipline will probably prevent him from ever coming close to actualizing the entirety of his prodigious potential. But I have always just flat out loved watching him play the game in his ultra-passionate, flairy way, starting with seeing him many times in AAA in 2014 and 2015 and down to this day, and forever. I don't think I enjoy watching any other player actually play the game, moment to moment, more than I enjoy watching Javy Baez. There are so many frustrating moments with him, but when one of those great moments occurs, it is borderline rapturous, in a way that no other player comes close to equaling for me. He's hands down my favorite player whose name isn't part of Bryzzo, and truth be told, I probably actually like him a little more than Bryant (not from a collecting standpoint, but from a pure fan standpoint).

This Javy sub-collection is true hobbyist labor of love. I doubt Javy will ever become a consistent enough player to be "baseball card good" in the long run, so I doubt I would ever be able to even break even on this stuff if/when I had to sell it. But I just love a lot of his cards and want to have them, plain and simple.

BTW, there is a particular Baez card that I have been looking for for some time without success, and if anyone happens to have it available now or in the future, please lmk. It is the 2015 Topps Opening Day SSP Photo Variation (portrait shot with batting helmet). Would really like to find one of those eventually.

Javy Baez Player Collection Album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155743...57690329580546

For those who don't want to scroll through the entire album, here are a few of my favorite cards:

IMG_9860 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1942 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1678 by C Ando, on Flickr

2013 Bowman Platinum (#5 of 10) by C Ando, on Flickr

2013 Topps Heritage Minors (Alternate Photo Variation)(BGS 9.5) by C Ando, on Flickr

2015 Topps Heritage Real One Auto (#64 of 66)(BGS 9.5 + 10) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_2706 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_2899 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_6254 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_9762 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_9743 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_10003 (3) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_10003 (6) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_10003 (15) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_8634 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_2718 by C Ando, on Flickr

Also, here are a few of my favorite pix of Javy that I've taken while watching him play in person:

Iowa Cubs (July, 2014) (37) by C Ando, on Flickr

Iowa Cubs (July, 2014) (88) by C Ando, on Flickr

Iowa Cubs (July, 2014) (126) by C Ando, on Flickr

August, 2015 (10) by C Ando, on Flickr

August, 2015 (15) by C Ando, on Flickr

Iowa Cubs (April, 2016) (235) by C Ando, on Flickr

Cubs v. Pirates (7-8-17) (220) by C Ando, on Flickr

Cubs v. Pirates (7-8-17) (336) by C Ando, on Flickr

Cubs v. Angels (8-10-16) (294) by C Ando, on Flickr

Cubs v. Angels (8-10-16) (461) by C Ando, on Flickr

Cubs v. Angels (8-10-16) (619) by C Ando, on Flickr

Last edited by Darth Bryzzo; 02-04-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #20
Scoat

Amazing collection! I love the new editions Looking forward to seeing more, keep it up!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:42 PM   #21
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Got my Kyle Schwarber collection album substantially updated. As with all of these, I'm sure there are a few stragglers lurking here and there that I will come across eventually, but this represents the vast, vast majority of my present War Bear collection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155743...57689956642526

HELP NEEDED locating the following Schwarber cards:

2016 Topps Opening Day SSP (w/fans)
2016 Topps Chrome Refractors (Red, Gold, Sapphire Gold)
2016 Topps TRU Purple
2016 Topps Black (/65)
2016 Topps Bunt (/25)

Here are a few of my favorite Schwarber cards:

IMG_6684 by C Ando, on Flickr

2014 Topps Heritage Minors Mystery Redemption (BGS 9.5)(2) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_0299 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_3491 by C Ando, on Flickr

2016 Topps Heritage Black Chrome Refractor (#53 of 67)(Front) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_3854 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_9588 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_3338 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_3520 by C Ando, on Flickr

Also, here are a few of my favorite pix that I've taken of Kyle:

Iowa Cubs (June, 2015) (4) by C Ando, on Flickr

Iowa Cubs (June, 2015) (59) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1566 by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_1622 by C Ando, on Flickr

Cubs vs. Brewers (Aug. 11, 2015) (33) by C Ando, on Flickr

Cubs v. Pirates (7-8-17) (188) by C Ando, on Flickr

Cubs v. Pirates (7-8-17) (275) by C Ando, on Flickr

Cubs v. Pirates (7-8-17) (284) by C Ando, on Flickr

Last edited by Darth Bryzzo; 02-07-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #22
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

My area had a borderline blizzard yesterday, which stymied mail delivery. The result was a veritable backlog bonanza for me in today's makeup mail.

First up, this 2016 Topps Gold Schwarber is admittedly nothing too special in concept. I paid all of $2.29 for it.

IMG_10007 (2) by C Ando, on Flickr

But I think it's kind of a steal at that given that this one is his jersey number:

IMG_10007 (4) by C Ando, on Flickr

I know Transcendent has a lot of haters, and I understand many of the criticisms and even share in some of them. But I must say that both years so far, I've liked a lot of the Cubs-related cards, including this Epstein from this year:

IMG_10007 (25) by C Ando, on Flickr

I really wanted this particular specimen as it's #16/25 (as in '16).

As I've stated numerous times before (including in the title of this thread), I'm primarily focused on the 2016 Cubs team, with a particular focus on early year cards of the young stars of that team, up through and including 2016. My stated goal (both to others--including my wife--and myself) is that I don't intend to collect a lot of stuff produced after 2016.

I was only marginally successful with that pledge in 2017, though I certainly didn't buy a ton of everything Cubs-related (and I gave myself a pass to purchase cards directly related to the 2016 WS win). But I renewed that pledge to myself when 2018 rolled around, and made it all the way to Series 1 before starting to break down (at least in part). I REALLY like the 1983 style cards in general, and have been totally beguiled by the Baez cards:

IMG_10007 (9) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_10008 (7) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_10007 (17) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_10008 (6) by C Ando, on Flickr

(This is my first superfractor. I didn't want to do it, but this thing just caught my eye and wouldn't let it go. I'm tempted to say it will be my last superfractor as well, as I've never been into any 1/1s that much, but that would just tempt The Universe to throw something else irresistable at me to show me who's really boss.)

And when I get on a Javy-related bender, it's pretty hard to stop the El Mago mojo:

IMG_10007 (10) by C Ando, on Flickr

IMG_10007 (29) by C Ando, on Flickr

I'm now completely convinced that the internet was created to rub my nose in the fact that I have exceedingly feeble willpower.

Last edited by Darth Bryzzo; 02-07-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #23
centereacan06

The Rizzo/Bryant Topps Now auto relic is the best card a Cubs fan could own IMO.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #24
Wrigs37

Hey Chad, I was looking at that Javy Super also... What a beauty!! I’m glad it found it’s way to the perfect owner...
Old 02-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #25
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
The Rizzo/Bryant Topps Now auto relic is the best card a Cubs fan could own IMO.
Totally agree. I just recently got that, after pining for one for a long time (and kicking myself all the while for not purchasing one from Topps right after the WS). That thing is in a whole different category for me than any other card that I own. That is a future family heirloom in my mind. I've already explained to my daughter what it is and told her to try to never sell it unless she's absolutely destitute. Ideally, I'd like her to pass it on to one of her kids (who she better raise to be Cubs' fans).