Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > FOOTBALL BOX & CASE BREAKS

Notices

FOOTBALL BOX & CASE BREAKS Post Your FOOTBALL Box & Case Breaks Here!

Old 07-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
nabzy28

Default A late 4th of July BOOM!

I rarely buy boxes. Like ever, anymore. However, every once in a while, I still make myself believe I can pull something good. Knowing full well, I'd get just as much utility from my money as if I were to set it ablaze for heat. I know this. It's why I've bought, almost exclusively, singles for the last 10 years.

Anyhow, somebody crossed the streams and the planets aligned or something, because DAt other place put '08 Ultimate Collection on sale. I love me some Ultimate Collection and have loved almost every set design they did, more so than even Exquisite, and definitely everything since. So, I figure, what the hell? I'm okay with throwing away ~$200 for the chance to break some boxes from back when NFL cards were good. 3 boxes of 2008 UD Ultimate Collection it is! (And a '17 Classics box to put me into free shipping range.)

First, the Classics box - hit a 1/5 'Harold Donald Carson' full name SSP base card and a Larry Fitzgerald Classic Materials that actually says 'game used' on the back. Now, I understand that might be from a jersey he wore while playing Madden with some friends but, hey, Larry Fitz is a beast and I'll take it.

First box of '08 Ultimate Collection.... I move the back card and see the dreaded silver foil scratch off bar of death. ... Redemption. Ugh. At this point, just thinking please be garbage and not for something like a Favre 1/1 or similar. It's a Jason Campbell/David Garrard dual jersey auto. I can't see what it's numbered to. Could be the 1/1 and I wouldn't even care. Will see if UD still does the random drawing thing at the National.

Box 2 of '08 Ultimate Collection.... Rookie Patch Auto! ... of Kevin Smith.

As I'm inspecting the odds, box and wrapper - since I haven't opened any '08 in quite some time - I am reminded that they had the continuation of the '97 Legends autographs in this set. My hopes are for a nice Matt Ryan rookie patch auto, though, knowing that even if I did pull one of the Legends autos, it'd be one of the common players, my usual luck anyway.

So, I get to opening box 3. I move the back card slightly and see a lot of white edging. Move the card a little more and see the spaced out text that I know can only mean one thing: I hit the '97 UD Legends design/auto from whatever case these boxes were pulled from. I'm figuring, cool, probably a common one but, I'll take it.

I do not look at the text. I flip the cards over and look at the top one. Can't resist sliding them over slightly to see the edge of the Legends auto.

I see the blue and white stripe of a blurred leg. I'm thinking it's a background player. It couldn't possibly be a card I have wanted to own in my PC for nearly a decade now, could it?

Forget the slow reveal, I pull the two top cards aside quickly and let out a hole E $hiz...

A card I never pulled the trigger on more than a few times. No idea if they even show up anymore as I haven't looked in a bit...

A late 4th of July BOOM! that's been hiding in a pack for 10 years.

I have wanted a nice copy of this card for so long. I can count on one hand how many times in about 30 years that I've actually pulled a huge PC card that I wanted from breaking boxes. Welcome home Mr. Smith.

If you made it through that wall of text up there, thank you for indulging me. May you hit something for your PC completely unexpectedly.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
I Love Big Hitz

No better feeling than that! Love your post! It's happened to me maybe two or three times over the years and it's just as awesome everytime!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
gottagitdemjs

Nice man. Probably one of the best ones you could get. To think that has been in a box for 10 years....Glad the cards weren't sticking together or anything like that.
The Chiefs win a Super Bowl.......FINALLY!!!...3X!!! BACK TO BACK!!!
gottagitdemjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
NoleinJax

Congrats. Beautiful card and that auto looks as crisp as it he signed it this morning.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
monkeymcgee

Wow--epic pull. Congrats, man

Can't beat Legends autos--those are one of my all time favs.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #6
4Rookie4

Awesome Smith!
4Rookie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
Irish1351

Wow, that is a beauty and the corners look sharp which is rare for that set!
Irish1351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
purejd86p

That's unreal. Congrats on a great PC hit!
purejd86p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #9
whynotme012

Nice hit!

Are you selling rest of the ultimate? If so can you share what you gotten in base?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
whynotme012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
UCFKnightsFTW

Kevin Smith available? Would love it for my UCF PC
Old 07-07-2018, 10:51 PM   #11
blevins26

That's awesome. I love this set as well and was tempted to get some when they were on sale. I'm glad you went for it! Congrats!
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
gamboooler

"Back when NFL cards were good." Not sure a truer statement has ever been uttered.
gamboooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 PM   #13
TimBuckTwo

A sure beauty.

Emmitt is the MAN
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #14
nera20

awesome pull i just opened some of these myself tonight and pulled a steve young like the emmitt and a dual peyton eli auto