Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
beaverman3001

Default Do you insure your collection?

Something I've thought about more and more is how to protect my cards, because they are a backup savings account in a way. I know I could put them in a bank, or get a vault of some sort, but I'm not too found of either idea. So I wanted to see if anyone has experience using collectibles insurance? If so what company do you use? How is the pricing, does it seem legit, etc?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
zeeropointzeero

I've been using these guys for years for a comic collection (although they insure sports cards as well):
collectinsure.com

Never had an issue with them but also never had a claim. Seems to cost me approx $0.005 per dollar of coverage. They cover loss at my residence as well as loss during transit (I think if they cover you during transit, you must ship a certain way).

They also auto increment coverage so you do not need to keep changing your coverage amount each year (like they may increase your coverage automatically by 5% or something to cover the fact that collectibles rise each year for the most part).
zeeropointzeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
beaverman3001

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeropointzeero View Post
I've been using these guys for years for a comic collection (although they insure sports cards as well):
collectinsure.com

Never had an issue with them but also never had a claim. Seems to cost me approx $0.005 per dollar of coverage. They cover loss at my residence as well as loss during transit (I think if they cover you during transit, you must ship a certain way).

They also auto increment coverage so you do not need to keep changing your coverage amount each year (like they may increase your coverage automatically by 5% or something to cover the fact that collectibles rise each year for the most part).
I was looking at their site earlier, seems like a decent company. Wished there was someone on here who has had to claim through them to see how that went.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #4
asujbl

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

I just insure it through my regular homeowners (I talked to my person extensively about it) - I sent her an updated inventory once a month with any additions, subtractions, and major value changes.
asujbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
beaverman3001

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
I just insure it through my regular homeowners (I talked to my person extensively about it) - I sent her an updated inventory once a month with any additions, subtractions, and major value changes.
Yea, that is what I would try, but I currently rent a house. I doubt and wouldn't trust a renter's insurance company to handle it properly.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
mrveggieman

I got renters insurance but I heard that if anything ever went down you wont get that much from your regular company and would need to have a specialized insurance company. I may have to check collectors insure out.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
caflisch78

I do as well as a part of my homeowners. Several of them are investment pieces so it makes sense to protect them.
caflisch78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
Pearce77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
I got renters insurance but I heard that if anything ever went down you wont get that much from your regular company and would need to have a specialized insurance company. I may have to check collectors insure out.
I was married to an insurance agent. Don't just go off what "you heard", simply call them and their CSR would probably be able to answer your question. That's what your agent is for and most want to make sure you're assets are covered.
Pearce77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
duwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post

For renter's insurance most big legitimate insurance companies won't insure it unless the items/collection is appraised first
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #10
zeeropointzeero

With the company I mentioned, I did not need an appraisal. It is possible however that larger policies do need appraisals. I also have a spreadsheet of all my comics, condition and value. If I recall correctly, I believe I filed that with them. I also have pictures but definitely didn't need to supply them. I'm sure those pics will help with any future claims though.
zeeropointzeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:09 AM   #11
bobthewondercat

I also use collectinsure. No claims / no issues. Started with them after losing a good chunk of my collection (and two MacBook pros) in a home robbery in 2009. Worth it for peace of mind alone.