Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 12

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #51
Sharard

Admit, this looks like one of the best looking base sets in ages. Kinda hope doesn’t hit retail.
Be nice have a release that both seller and buyer can do good on.

Seems few places have restocked Black white. From what I saw, that was a fun break too.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #52
MarciaDye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinth View Post

I look forward so much to seeing the rest of this card. It looks incredible so far.

The base set created by all of our favorite artists is clearly going to be the high point of the release.
Thank you I was so excited to be invited to work on the base -- I just had to draw Padme. The original is drawn in markers, coloured pencils and watercolours.
MarciaDye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #53
FAKadar

Exclamation

Here's a sneak peek at my Star Wars Galaxy Base Card. The full painting is about 11 x 17 but I did leave enough room for the card dimensions. I'm going to keep it and have it framed along with the initial sketch concept. The card is not just Boba Fett.

(subject to final final approval from LFL)

Last edited by FAKadar; 09-17-2018 at 01:54 PM.
FAKadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #54
mtcrab

Galaxy has had sketches as its main hit in past sets. The 6 piece foil puzzle sets are also prevalent. The other hits have been the foil character cards in silver, bronze, and gold (in that order). Lost Galaxy art cards were a sub set twice I think, as was a Lego set once. There's also been at least two clear "animated" cel sets over time. One of the rarest subsets is a Galaxy Evolutions set that was retail only (Anakin to Vader to Luke - 6 cards and one of my favorite/prized sub sets). And of course the rare autos and sketchagraphs. And the artist signed cards. Sad to see Topps turned this into another auto/patch release. I'll probably buy the set and inserts on the 'bay.
mtcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #55
mtcrab

The artwork of amazing artists has always been the draw. Why did Topps need to make this about autos and not sketches???
Old 06-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #56
PoPCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcrab View Post
The artwork of amazing artists has always been the draw. Why did Topps need to make this about autos and not sketches???
Agreed. Yesterday was a sad day in the history of Topps’ Star Wars cards. Well......sadder than all of the other just regular sad days of late.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #57
mtcrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Agreed. Yesterday was a sad day in the history of Topps’ Star Wars cards. Well......sadder than all of the other just regular sad days of late.
"This will be a day long remembered." - Darth Vader
Old 06-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #58
Sharard

Well least looks like there will be different type of sketches, three types.. the panoramic ones should be cool..and though not ideal, reserving bit judgement on the patches since it says based on previous art work.. I know, prolly suck on the patch front.

I’d be ok with 5 or 6 sketches per case. Sketch market is way more populated today versus the old days of this release. I really don’t think the market could take 12 sketches per case...

Last edited by Sharard; 06-01-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #59
dd316

Some of the patches they did for sports sets reprinting old cards look really nice. I'm hoping they do these the same way. Instead of doing goofy parallels they should have just made it a really large set. I'd rather try to collect 200 different cards than 50 cards in 4 different colored frames.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #60
jamesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Some of the patches they did for sports sets reprinting old cards look really nice. I'm hoping they do these the same way. Instead of doing goofy parallels they should have just made it a really large set. I'd rather try to collect 200 different cards than 50 cards in 4 different colored frames.
The picture on the Beckett page looked like it was previous card art done as a patch. I think the image was of an Ewok base card.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
jamesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #61
Sharard

I’ll admit, if the patch cards are like the ones that came out upper deck dinosaur release, these may not be so horrible. These are way better than the normal patches we usually get.

Not saying I am happy they did patches, but these, if done well, least look way better. The Ewok one on Beckett looks pretty nice actually.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:36 AM   #62
arek

A lot of gushing comments on the Topps SW page.

Isn't SW finest due out before Galaxy?
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:00 AM   #63
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
I’ll admit, if the patch cards are like the ones that came out upper deck dinosaur release, these may not be so horrible. These are way better than the normal patches we usually get.

Not saying I am happy they did patches, but these, if done well, least look way better. The Ewok one on Beckett looks pretty nice actually.

We were supposed to have larger movie poster patches for GFR I believe and those got scraped sometime before launch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #64
Sharard

Quote:
Originally Posted by arek View Post
A lot of gushing comments on the Topps SW page.

Isn't SW finest due out before Galaxy?
Sure seems a lot close doesn’t it, finest, this, masterwork, and maybe tek. They really need give tek a break.

Guess make up no journey into or series one to release at the end of the year.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #65
oldgoldy97

Enough medallions and patches and low tier autos. Make it about base and tough inserts and tough autos. Change it up!
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #66
arek

They should do redemptions for original art. One sketch card per box, one hot box per case with maybe 3 sketches or one sketch and a puzzle sketch
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #67
LouiseDraper

I am so incredibly proud to have my Jyn base art piece featured on Beckett etc - it's a total honour to have my art chosen to promote this prestigious set!
This artwork will be available to purchase at some point later this year - date to be confirmed.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #68
Sharard

Pretty amazing stuff there.. looks like a fun set for all you artists work on
Old 06-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #69
Dasklein83

I pre-ordered a case for $920. I'm going to Nationals with my buddy in August. It's a short drive from where I live. I just view this as incentive as not to buy anything dumb at Nationals. It looks like a beautiful set, and at that price point, how bad could it really be?
Old 06-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #70
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasklein83 View Post
I pre-ordered a case for $920. I'm going to Nationals with my buddy in August. It's a short drive from where I live. I just view this as incentive as not to buy anything dumb at Nationals. It looks like a beautiful set, and at that price point, how bad could it really be?
See TFA Chrome lol.

Low production run would be ideal here, like TFA S2. If theres over 900-1000 cases it will be bad most likely

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

star wars hit tracker spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Old 06-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #71
Dasklein83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
See TFA Chrome lol.

Low production run would be ideal here, like TFA S2. If theres over 900-1000 cases it will be bad most likely

I'm kind of sick of people continuingly pooping on Topps Star Wars product. The house always wins in trading cards. Yes, some sets are better than others. When you buy a box of cards, you should do so with the idea that you are literally setting the money on fire. It's no different than paying $300 for a round of golf at a nice course. It's not about the hits, it's about the fun of opening the packs. It's about the experience. If you buy cards looking to make your money back or looking to just break even, you are in the wrong hobby. It's what makes the rare occasion of getting a big hit all the more fun.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #72
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasklein83 View Post
I'm kind of sick of people continuingly pooping on Topps Star Wars product. The house always wins in trading cards. Yes, some sets are better than others. When you buy a box of cards, you should do so with the idea that you are literally setting the money on fire. It's no different than paying $300 for a round of golf at a nice course. It's not about the hits, it's about the fun of opening the packs. It's about the experience. If you buy cards looking to make your money back or looking to just break even, you are in the wrong hobby. It's what makes the rare occasion of getting a big hit all the more fun.
There is a middle ground.

I used to buy a box or two for PC only. However with a set like TLJ S2 I've got a good shot at a decent hit in my box, whether an auto or sketch or base parallel. With another set like TLJ S1 even, with so high of a production and same price, but way lower chance of a decent hit.

Sure, some people break for fun, but when you know theres a 5% chance versus 0.1% chance of something good it's even more fun. Especially at the same price.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #73
jdhaugh11

I am not one to crap on sets, I generally see the positives in most sets. I do however voice my opinion about Topps putting out too much and too similar.
I did go ape on Solo though, because the auto checklist was the worst in history. Other products like MW2 also deserved our criticism because they changed the product completely at the last minute and only yielded about 1 sketch per case, which was unacceptable.
I feel we need to pick and choose when we bash a company, because too much just falls on deaf ears.
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #74
BlueForTheVirus

Looks like this one got a bump. Release date pushed back to December 12th - same day as Stellar 2, so far.

I may be jinxing some releases. It seems like all the ones I'm most excited for are getting pushed back. Supergirl, Galaxy, Defenders, Stranger Things...
BlueForTheVirus is online now   Reply With Quote