Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 10

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #1
Fenway55

Default Countdown to Han Solo Group Purchase

Hi guys, just wanted to come here to put together a group for the Countdown to Han Solo sets that Topps is putting out. With enough of us participating, we can get these for $4 per card.

As I am sure a lot of you remember, I did this for The Last Jedi. The price was absolute rock bottom cost of $92 for the first set ($80 for the cards, $7 USPS Priority Mail Shipping, plus $5 PayPal fees) and then $85 for each additional set for people who wanted more than 1.

I will be offering the same deal BUT this set is 25 cards, so it will be $20 more expensive. That brings us to $112 for the first set and $105 for each additional.

PLEASE NOTE that based on how Topps operates, I expect I will receive the final card in mid-to-late June. I will turn around and ship them immediately so you *should* get them by the end of June but that is really up to Topps.

PM me if interested!!

Last edited by Fenway55; 04-23-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Fenway55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Fenway55

Card #1 purchased
Old 04-24-2018, 12:28 AM   #3
jdandns

Thanks for doing this again, Fenway. I'm in for one set, for sure. For anyone else on the fence, I can tell you I picked up a couple of the Last Jedi sets from Fenway this way. I received them shortly after he had the final card in hand, all cards well protected, and for the rock bottom price advertised.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
Fenway55

Cards #2 and #3 have been ordered. Still a few spots left!!
Old 04-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
jdandns

Awesome, thanks for the updates!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
Archifou

Count me in for a set!
Archifou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
jdandns

Down to 223 sets, maximum, due to the print run of the card #3. How low with it go? The puzzle piece-back aspect helped some of the Last Jedi cards do better, as occasionally, a nice image on the puzzle piece helped to bail out a lackluster front image. That won't happen with this set. I think it could get down to under 200 before it's over, but I wouldn't think much lower than that.

Nice to see two of my favorite actors, Thandie Newton and Woody Harrelson on today's card.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
Raymond23

Rogue One never dipped below 200. I doubt this will either. Those who are in this long are in for the duration. Still, much lower numbers then TLJ Set. However, 200+ still isn’t “rare” in SW cards and I think value will drop as future movies come out (not as much as TLJ Set did of course). With all the new sets coming out, I have started being much more selective about my purchases. I used to but all of the movie release sets but that can’t continue with 3-5 sets (including Denny’s, countdown, On Demand, journey to, etc) for annual movies (and likely multiple movies/year). So, I will finish off TLJ and buy Ep 9 sets and will stop after that. This is the first movie I am sitting out and it is taking a LOT of willpower watching these card coming out every day... ��
Raymond23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
Fenway55

Cards #'d 4 and 5 have been purchased. ALL SETS SOLD OUT.

I will be doing updates about twice a week, but if you don't see me in here, don't worry that I forgot to make the purchase. :-D
Old 04-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway55 View Post

Cards #'d 4 and 5 have been purchased. ALL SETS SOLD OUT.

I will be doing updates about twice a week, but if you don't see me in here, don't worry that I forgot to make the purchase. :-D
Card 5 has a very literal title lol

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
maxpower

Thanks for doing this again fenway for those who got in. I was going to pass this time, but see the group buy is closed anyway, so decision made. Hopefully the lower print run will help out on value for those who are buying.

Even at the group price, I would really want an auto or 2 in the set based on other things topps has done, and no way someone would find it worth it to buy 1 card per day if they didn't get in on a group buy. $250 for this set??? I agree with the sentiment there is really no excuse for topps selling it this way except to bleed money out of people who want to take a chance on a low print run happening and demand later increasing.
maxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #12
Fenway55

Cards 6, 7, 8 purchased. I like #7 a lot. Topps has not started shipping yet so we are still a little bit away from starting to receive them.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
Fenway55

Cards # 9, 10, 11 purchased. Card # 10 has a set-low (so far) print run of 211. Topps has started shipping cards and I should start receiving some be end of week or so.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #14
jdandns

Thanks for the update!
Surprised to see a new low, but I guess a long shot of Han and Beckett conferring didn't exactly light any fires under buyers. 211 is getting down to "Preacher" Season 1 on-demand numbers.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #15
Fenway55

Cards # 12, 13, 14, 15 purchased. Also, Cards # 1-6 have been received. 2 weeks of purchasing remain, and sets will probably go out in another 4 weeks or so!!
Old 05-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #16
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
Thanks for the update!
Surprised to see a new low, but I guess a long shot of Han and Beckett conferring didn't exactly light any fires under buyers. 211 is getting down to "Preacher" Season 1 on-demand numbers.
Looking at the last few images, it's clear Topps only has trailer footage and they're going to zoom in as much on characters as needed to make the required cards haha.

There's so many similar looking cards already.

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #17
jdandns

"Night Flight" was a late-night show on USA Network for most of the 1980's (and syndicated in the early 90's) that was a hodgepodge of interviews with actors, musicians, plus it had short films, animated fare, and a lot of odd-ball stuff for late-night viewers. Kind of like what "Adult Swim" is now, but instead of commissioning new material, it just sort of gathered existing stuff together.

Anyway, the IFC channel is airing a series of ten 10 minute compilations of "Night Flight" over this next month or two (basically advertising an online portal to the entire series you can sign up for with a fee). In an episode on IFC from earlier this month, they unearthed a vintage interview with Mark Hamill, probably from around 1984 or so, so just after "Jedi" where they talk to him about his experience on the original trilogy and also, if there would be more Star Wars stories in the future. He says he doesn't think so, but if there were, he would only be in it if he didn't have to play Luke, but rather a "character with six eyes", basically an alien, just like Argus "Six Eyes" Panox, as seen on both a Denny's restaurant "Solo" card and also in this Countdown to Solo set.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but still, "six eyes" is a fairly specific match to what he said. How cool would it be if that was actually Hamill in that mask?

Thanks for the updates, Fenway, and for keeping up with this. Enjoy these couple of days off from it. Last Friday's card was the low print run for the series. Let's see if that happens again with the card from yesterday.

Last edited by jdandns; 05-13-2018 at 03:22 AM.
jdandns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:11 PM   #18
Dewman

I love today's card featuring Qi'ra and (presumably) Lando's capes.

If you've read the recent Han/Lando novel Last Shot, there is a passage that lets you know Lando is SERIOUS about about his wardrobe.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #19
kyle1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
I love today's card featuring Qi'ra and (presumably) Lando's capes.

If you've read the recent Han/Lando novel Last Shot, there is a passage that lets you know Lando is SERIOUS about about his wardrobe.
Just finished. Was interesting. The jumping around was tough to take

Hoping most wanted is a little better

I have read all the new cannon books

Still like legends better.
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #20
Dewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
Just finished. Was interesting. The jumping around was tough to take

Hoping most wanted is a little better

I have read all the new cannon books

Still like legends better.
Yeah, keeping track of marginally connected stories in 4 different timeframes was a little tedious. It was an ok read (or listen, since I listen to audiobooks on my daily commute).

Lando really likes to take his time choosing coordinated outfits that accentuate his *ahem* features.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #21
Fenway55

Cards # 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 purchased.

1 week of buying left then 3-4 weeks until I get the final card!! My prediction is packages will go out the week of June 18, but that is certainly not written in stone and beyond my control. I didn't receive any cards in the mail this week.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #22
jdandns

I saw the Emilia Clarke (as "The Mother of Capes"?) card got the print run back over 300, just barely.

Thanks for the update and images, Fenway!
Old 05-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #23
Fenway55

Final 5 cards purchased..!! First 10 cards all in hand..!! Enjoy the movie everyone..!!

I am out of town in mid-June. I expect when I get back on June 17, I should have all cards in hand and will send them out on June 18. BUT that is just a projection. I will keep everyone updated - thanks..!!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #24
jason00

Thanks for hosting the group buy - I am pretty happy I bought into this vs spending any money on a box of Solo cards
jason00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #25
Fenway55

First 16 cards are in hand!! Based on what we have seen so far, I expect the final cards to be delivered to me the week of June 11 to June 16. If they arrive late that week, all shipments will go out June 18 since I will not be home from the 13th to 16th.