Blowout Cards Forums
Wave Wed

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
mfDante

Default Shipping $1 card etiquette?

I've been selling some cards on ebay and using bubble mailers but those cards were higher in price which justifies the $4 shipping I charged. But what's the proper etiquette to ship a $1 card? Any suggestions for cheap shipping that won't be frowned upon? I have a few lower priced cards I'd like to put up for sale but they'll probably each go for a dollar or more.

Thanks ya'll! I just recently found out about BO forum and it's awesome!!!
mfDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
buckunteer

for cards that low-end on here I generally ship PWE (plain white envelope) in a top loader. I always check with the buyer first though so they know ahead of time.

Tougher to get away with that on ebay. Without tracking the buyer can just claim the item never arrived, so it's seller beware elsewhere!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
watashiwa05

If you trade/sell here, most are comfortable with what was described above as long as it’s agreed upon up front. I’ve seen sellers on eBay start putting PWE in the title/description...but definitely a risk without the tracking.
TRADE ALBUMS: https://sportscardalbum.com/u/watashiwa05
watashiwa05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
KidKards101

True that there is no tracking and such, but all you're potentially losing is $1. Nothing to get all upset about, if I lose $1 fine. I'm sure there will be more people who would be honest that they received the card than those that don't especially if the buyer has a great rep with ebay based on their feedback rating.
KidKards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
shrevecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckunteer View Post
for cards that low-end on here I generally ship PWE (plain white envelope) in a top loader. I always check with the buyer first though so they know ahead of time.

Tougher to get away with that on ebay. Without tracking the buyer can just claim the item never arrived, so it's seller beware elsewhere!
It is seller beware, but if the buyer is aware from the start those claims are actually very rare. I ship hundreds a year via PWE on Ebay and get maybe one complaint out of every 200 or so. Which is about the same as any other issues that pop up maybe even slightly less. As mentioned you end up refunding 2 or 3.00 on every 200 cards you sell.

For PWE shipping I would not recommend a top loader though most who ship PWE use card savers as they are more flat and do not tend to hang IF they are put into machines. Also ship them the Non-Machinable rate which is 71 cents vs standard first class again to keep them out of machines.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
daviswr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post
It is seller beware, but if the buyer is aware from the start those claims are actually very rare. I ship hundreds a year via PWE on Ebay and get maybe one complaint out of every 200 or so. Which is about the same as any other issues that pop up maybe even slightly less. As mentioned you end up refunding 2 or 3.00 on every 200 cards you sell.

For PWE shipping I would not recommend a top loader though most who ship PWE use card savers as they are more flat and do not tend to hang IF they are put into machines. Also ship them the Non-Machinable rate which is 71 cents vs standard first class again to keep them out of machines.
Is there a "Non Machinable Rate" stamp?
daviswr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #7
iluvfish2

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

To me not worth the risk, but I understand it.

I'd recommend using a card saver (I or II) for the reason mentioned above - much thinner and has some flexibility to allow it to go through the machines (nonmachined I'm still not confident doesnt go through the same process - always seem to get bubble mailers with all sorts of belt marks on them).
Old 05-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
shrevecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post

I'd recommend using a card saver (I or II) for the reason mentioned above - much thinner and has some flexibility to allow it to go through the machines (nonmachined I'm still not confident doesnt go through the same process - always seem to get bubble mailers with all sorts of belt marks on them).
I am not confident many do not either, but card savers do help mediate the risk when they do. And that 21 cents extra is just a little added security. I also have stickers I put on them that say Non-Machinable.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
shrevecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
Is there a "Non Machinable Rate" stamp?
Yes its the 71 cent with the blue butterfly on it. But a 2 ounce stamp works the same..

Also write on it Non-Machinable.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
Deadshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post

Also, tape it to a piece of paper that's folded like a letter. That way it can't slide all over the place.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #11
gopherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
Also, tape it to a piece of paper that's folded like a letter. That way it can't slide all over the place.
By it I think he means the Card Saver, not the card.
gopherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #12
Deadshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
By it I think he means the Card Saver, not the card.
Thank you for the clarification lol...sadly I think I've received some cards taped to protectors.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #13
buckunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post

I generally do this in the PWE as well, didn't know about using card savers instead of top loaders though.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:18 PM   #14
mfDante

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Time to start taking pictures and catalog what I want to sell
mfDante is offline   Reply With Quote