Blowout Cards Forums
2018 community chest

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > The National Sports Collectors Convention

Notices

The National Sports Collectors Convention This is a seasonal forum that will run from about April through August each year.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
jjohnson814

Default National Noob Questions

I just booked my plane tickets for my first national! I'm really excited. I'll be there Wednesday afternoon through Friday afternoon. Since this is my first time I was hoping the vets could answer some questions for me. Thanks in advance!

1. What's the sneak peek all about? Should I bring my cards to trade? I heard there was some sort of trade night.

2. Do you guys bring your cards around the show with you or is it really just to buy?

3. I read that most deals are cash but if I'm hoping to do some high end deals I really don't feel comfortable carrying around that much cayshe. What should I be prepared for here?

4. Is there a popular hotel a lot of you guys stay at to hang out and trade and such? I'm a basketball card guy and was hoping to see where the basketball trading action is going down!

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
jjohnson814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
Brettfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson814 View Post
I just booked my plane tickets for my first national! I'm really excited. I'll be there Wednesday afternoon through Friday afternoon. Since this is my first time I was hoping the vets could answer some questions for me. Thanks in advance!

1. What's the sneak peek all about? Should I bring my cards to trade? I heard there was some sort of trade night.

If you are a VIP, there is a party with food and giveaways as well as three (I think) VIP signers. Autos are free to VIP's at the party but be prepared to get there early to stand in line. Then, VIP's are allowed access to the show floor a half hour before it's open to general admission. Yes, bring your cards to trade to dealers and I suppose the VIP party would be a great place to trade. Trade nights are usually organized by individuals at the local hotels. I don't know of any organized through the show but I might be wrong. Oh yeah, the sneak peak just means it's the first day of the show.

2. Do you guys bring your cards around the show with you or is it really just to buy?

Yes, bring your cards but be prepared to be low balled. Most dealers are buying.

3. I read that most deals are cash but if I'm hoping to do some high end deals I really don't feel comfortable carrying around that much cayshe. What should I be prepared for here?

Cash is king at the National; however, most of the dealers accept credit cards. Some will charge a fee for credit card payments. I believe that most of them accept PayPal as a form of payment since nearly all of them have an online presence.

4. Is there a popular hotel a lot of you guys stay at to hang out and trade and such? I'm a basketball card guy and was hoping to see where the basketball trading action is going down!

There are a ton of hotels around Cleveland. I don't know if there is one in particular that a lot of people stay at. You can check the National website for all of the hotels that they have group rates at. I suppose that there would be a high concentration of dealers and traders there. Although, a word of advice, you can do a lot better on Priceline or Kayak or hotels.com on hotels for the show. I booked my hotel through Priceline and got a LaQuinta for $51 a night. All in with taxes, fees and trip protection, it cost me $209 for three nights.

I would post on here asking about potential trade nights already set up by other collectors. You don't have to be staying at the hotel to participate.

Thanks!

I hope this answered your questions.
Brettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
kukocitb

I would bring a backpack with the cards in it. Carrying a box of cards around all day will be rough! I have been to a few nationals but never been to a trade night. Hoping to find one if I can track one down.
kukocitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
jjohnson814

Thanks for the help guys!

Yeah I'm really looking forward to a trade night. Not only to try and trade but just talk cards with other collectors and share PCs. All the basketball guys should organize something.

jjohnson814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
iluvfish2

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I'd keep an eye out on the forums and you might see or hear of a trade night depending on the hotel. I think its been done the past 3 years or so.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
DFWGrapher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettfan View Post
I hope this answered your questions.
Damn dude, which LaQuinta? I know there's one close by but it was still a bit expensive, as was the one in Independence when I booked. I'm staying at the one in Macedonia, which is further but the price was right for a two-bed (not quite $51 good, but good enough).
Old 04-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
Brettfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGrapher View Post
Damn dude, which LaQuinta? I know there's one close by but it was still a bit expensive, as was the one in Independence when I booked. I'm staying at the one in Macedonia, which is further but the price was right for a two-bed (not quite $51 good, but good enough).
Yeah, it's about 5 miles away. I guess I got lucky but I booked it about 6 weeks ago. Been to the Cleveland show numerous times, so I know a few tricks. The I-X Center is my favorite venue.

I hope that you enjoy the National.

Take Care!
Brettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
PatsFanVT

I have gone for the last few years, hopefully my answers to your questions help.

The sneak peak is when people can come and see everything before the public is let in. Definitely bring your cards to trade. The trade night is something that a lot of us on Instagram set up each year. It is always hosted at one of the hotels by the convention center. I believe Ryan is hosting it this year, can let you know when I have details.

I set up every year, but my favorite thing is when people bring cards to my booth wanting to trade. So definitely bring your stuff and stop by my booth!

3. I read that most deals are cash but if I'm hoping to do some high end deals I really don't feel comfortable carrying around that much cash. What should I be prepared for here?

Most of the dealers such as myself will take cards or PayPal, so no need for just cash.

My main sport is basketball, so I would love to hangout and trade! There usually is a specific hotel where they do trade nights. Not sure which one it is this year yet. Once again though, I can let you know when I find out. I would host a trade night personally but my hotel is too far away for it. I stay at a little farther away of a hotel so it's cheaper. I also always bring my pre-2005 HOF/star multi-color patch PC to show off and love seeing other people's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson814 View Post

Thanks!

PatsFanVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
Boophill

For basketball definitely find Steve Taft if he is set up. He is the king of old and oddball basketball cards.
Boophill is offline   Reply With Quote