Blowout Cards Forums
pokemon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
notoriousrmb

Default Am I being scammed or should I just suck it up?

Sold a card, buyer received.

Buyer sends garbled message asking for a partial refund due to "bump white on corner" of card. Then says I "obviously saw this before sending this card".

Well of course I did, I show it all in a clear scan. Nothing was hidden.

I refuse the offer of a partial refund and offer full refund if card is returned.

Buyer opens case with ebay under "Doesn't match description or photos" with the comment "bottom right corner has a ding".

The scan in the auction shows an obvious imperfect corner (can't really call it damaged, just certainly wouldn't grade a 10). Both bottom corners are soft, pretty easy to see.

Nowhere in the description of the auction does it mention card condition - I purposely keep this out and offer good scans to allow a buyer to make their own conclusions without setting myself up for condition fights. Do I need to go into detail about each corner, edges, surface, etc before listing a card now?

Do I have options here? Or is this a case of accept the claim and hope I get the card returned in the same condition I sent it? I just hate giving into these people who buy every card looking for an easy grade and returning those that aren't going to GEM.

Item# is 252746596063 if anyone wants to take a look. Educate me if I messed up here.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
ThoseBackPages

Scan shows the rounded corners pretty well IMO
One thing i'd recommend if youre going to sell raw cards is a scanner (and reverse scans)
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
Old 02-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
HadWayTooMuch
Banned

My opinion is, you are asking for trouble selling a new card with dinged corners without disclosing such dings.

I realize the dings show up in the photo, but people have expectations with new cards. Not saying it is right or wrong, but it is what it is.

My advice is to always point out flaws with new cards. With older cards, say something like "please see photo for exact condition."
Old 02-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
jlzinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousrmb View Post
Sold a card, buyer received.

Buyer sends garbled message asking for a partial refund due to "bump white on corner" of card. Then says I "obviously saw this before sending this card".

Well of course I did, I show it all in a clear scan. Nothing was hidden.

I refuse the offer of a partial refund and offer full refund if card is returned.

Buyer opens case with ebay under "Doesn't match description or photos" with the comment "bottom right corner has a ding".

The scan in the auction shows an obvious imperfect corner (can't really call it damaged, just certainly wouldn't grade a 10). Both bottom corners are soft, pretty easy to see.

Nowhere in the description of the auction does it mention card condition - I purposely keep this out and offer good scans to allow a buyer to make their own conclusions without setting myself up for condition fights. Do I need to go into detail about each corner, edges, surface, etc before listing a card now?

Do I have options here? Or is this a case of accept the claim and hope I get the card returned in the same condition I sent it? I just hate giving into these people who buy every card looking for an easy grade and returning those that aren't going to GEM.

Item# is 252746596063 if anyone wants to take a look. Educate me if I messed up here.
Accept return and block,

Also name buyer so I can block
Old 02-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
notoriousrmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
Scan shows the rounded corners pretty well IMO
One thing i'd recommend if youre going to sell raw cards is a scanner (and reverse scans)
Good point, a scan would be better.

With the pic showing the obvious flaw, does the buyer's claim still have merit? I'm assuming ebay will always side with the buyer, just wanted to make sure I had no case here.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
notoriousrmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Accept return and block,

Seller is cabbage3311

Normally I'd just say yeah I'll issue a refund and move on, but looking at the feedback this lady leaves, it feels more scammy than just a simple return. Buyer is obviously looking for easy grades.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
seabass97166
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Accept return and block,

As the Fonz says...exactamundo
Old 02-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
glen87

Quote:
Seller is cabbage3311

Normally I'd just say yeah I'll issue a refund and move on, but looking at the feedback this lady leaves, it feels more scammy than just a simple return. Buyer is obviously looking for easy grades.
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/e...mber-asap.html

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/m...bbage3311.html

other cards: https://www.flickr.com/photos/glen87/albums
Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
Viking6

Sadly this is the nature of eBay. Buyer gets his way 98% of the time.

You have to accept the return. You have no choice in the matter. Make them take the time to send it back to you. Don't give them the satisfaction of a partial refund.

I would just apologize and ask them to return it. I would just be trying to avoid the negative at this point. Chalk it up as a loss, block the buyer, and move on with life.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #10
notoriousrmb

Ok, went ahead and approved the return. Figured it would come to that but just wanted to ask the experts here who deal with this more often.

Thank you for the feedback!
Old 02-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #11
TarjetasBéisbol

So...OP knew about problems with this buyer and still created this thread? You created the 1st thread 3 days ago and you still haven't resolved this? After finding the thread you posted in your "block ebay" thread I would have certainly refunded and there is no reason for 3 threads about this transaction.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
notoriousrmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarjetasBéisbol View Post
So...OP knew about problems with this buyer and still created this thread? You created the 1st thread 3 days ago and you still haven't resolved this? After finding the thread you posted in your "block ebay" thread I would have certainly refunded and there is no reason for 3 threads about this transaction.
Its called covering my bases.

Yeah I had an issue a few days ago. This morning a claim was filed so I decided to start a new thread asking if I had options based on what the claim said. I don't want to rush to judgment if I am in the wrong here.

Why are you attempting to start conflict? I'm asking for help on a situation I am unsure how to deal with.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #13
Ashieft

Quote:
Seller is cabbage3311

Full return. This is one of the few people I have blocked on eBay.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #14
Chris P

If I'm selling the card with damage I typically take a picture of the damage and also disclose the damage in the description as well and even point out what picture actually shows the damage. I'm sure Ebay would still side with the buyer regardless, but I still do that just for full disclosure
Old 02-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #15
notoriousrmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
If I'm selling the card with damage I typically take a picture of the damage and also disclose the damage in the description as well and even point out what picture actually shows the damage. I'm sure Ebay would still side with the buyer regardless, but I still do that just for full disclosure
Agreed. However in this case I do not feel the card is "damaged". Just has soft corners on the bottom. If this is what is considered damage these days, then half of the cards I get out of packs are damaged.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #16
glen87

Quote:
Agreed. However in this case I do not feel the card is "damaged". Just has soft corners on the bottom. If this is what is considered damage these days, then half of the cards I get out of packs are damaged.
soft corners = damage (minor damage, but still damage)

other cards: https://www.flickr.com/photos/glen87/albums
Old 02-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #17
HadWayTooMuch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen87 View Post
soft corners = damage (minor damage, but still damage)
Yep, new cards, soft corners is major flaw.

1963 Topps, soft corners not as major of a flaw.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #18
forjlf

Thanks for posting the ID.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #19
notoriousrmb

Ok, good stuff here.

This is why I ask the questions - so I know what not to do in the future. Not sure what TarjetasBéisbol's problem was but I appreciate the info!
Old 02-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #20
txrngr34

Not sure there's a right or wrong way to do it...so I'll just make my suggestion.

1. Since it's a eBay case now, probably better to err on side of caution and take card back.

2. I make it a point to state observable concerns just in hopes of avoiding possible complaints.

Good luck man...sucks to have to deal with buyers that don't read the listing.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #21
hairyharold
Banned

pictures aren't enough, you need to mention damage. it is seen as deceitful not to do so
Old 02-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #22
notoriousrmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyharold View Post
pictures aren't enough, you need to mention damage. it is seen as deceitful not to do so
This I agree with, just trying to figure out to what end. I've never seen an auction where someone goes over the entire card with a fine tooth comb and picks out every surface mark, centering issue, white edge and so on.

Looks like based on consensus, a white spot on a corner is considered damage on modern cards. This was news to me and I will address that in future auctions. No deceit intended here
Old 02-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #23
big4mi2ke0

Quote:
Different subforums different threads why is this a concern to you?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #24
TarjetasBéisbol

Quote:
This I agree with, just trying to figure out to what end. I've never seen an auction where someone goes over the entire card with a fine tooth comb and picks out every surface mark, centering issue, white edge and so on.

Looks like based on consensus, a white spot on a corner is considered damage on modern cards. This was news to me and I will address that in future auctions. No deceit intended here
It really is simple, how many times have you seen threads here where the picture didn't show the condition of the card. You actually knew there was a white corner but didn't bother mentioning it in your listing? Sure the buyer has a shady past but why not refund immediately, especially with their shady past and feedbacks?

This thread blew up so there are people who go over the entire card; http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/m...de-refund.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by big4mi2ke0 View Post
Different subforums different threads why is this a concern to you?
Take a look at the rules, there is no need for 3 different threads about the same thing.

Rule #6: When starting a new thread, edit/update the original post if appropriate. This is another guideline to help keep the forum organized and easier to read and search (after all, many members are here to find information and we want to make the information easy to find). This applies anywhere in the forum, but probably mostly in the Box/Case Breaks section and in the B/S/T section. For example, if you sell a product or change the price, update the original post so others don't have to scroll through pages of posts to find out the most current info. Same applies for breaks, especially live breaks...update the original post with a summary of the break so if someone views it later, they don't have to look through pages of posts and comments to see the actual break.

Rule #7: Avoid reposting topics that have been discussed before. If you are not sure, check our Forum FAQs and/or perform a search before opening a new thread. If it has been posted about before and you have more to add, feel free to bring the topic to the top by posting in it again. If you are unsure about how to search the forums, please see our Forum FAQs.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #25
Dbacksbaseball

Quote:
It really is simple, how many times have you seen threads here where the picture didn't show the condition of the card. You actually knew there was a white corner but didn't bother mentioning it in your listing? Sure the buyer has a shady past but why not refund immediately, especially with their shady past and feedbacks?

This thread blew up so there are people who go over the entire card; http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/m...de-refund.html

Take a look at the rules, there is no need for 3 different threads about the same thing.

Rule #6: When starting a new thread, edit/update the original post if appropriate. This is another guideline to help keep the forum organized and easier to read and search (after all, many members are here to find information and we want to make the information easy to find). This applies anywhere in the forum, but probably mostly in the Box/Case Breaks section and in the B/S/T section. For example, if you sell a product or change the price, update the original post so others don't have to scroll through pages of posts to find out the most current info. Same applies for breaks, especially live breaks...update the original post with a summary of the break so if someone views it later, they don't have to look through pages of posts and comments to see the actual break.

Rule #7: Avoid reposting topics that have been discussed before. If you are not sure, check our Forum FAQs and/or perform a search before opening a new thread. If it has been posted about before and you have more to add, feel free to bring the topic to the top by posting in it again. If you are unsure about how to search the forums, please see our Forum FAQs.
I didn't know Houdini was accepting applications for message board policemen.

Cheer up buddy. You seem down as of late.
Closed Thread