Blowout Cards Forums
Basketball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #226
djohns30

Just a heads up on distribution. We just opened an 8 box case and the break down was like this.

Box 1, 1 blue, 1 dyson, 1 single costume, 1 double costume
Box 2, 2 blue, 2 dyson, 2 single costume, 2 triple costume
Box 3, 2 single costume
Box 4, 2 autographs
Box 5, 1 blue, 1 dyson, 1 single costume, 1 double costume
Box 6, 2 blue, 2 dyson, 2 single costume, 1 sketch
Box 7, 1 sketch
Box 8, 2 blue, 2 dyson, 2 single costumes, 1 dyson out of 15

As you can see the distribution was all over the place. No duplicate costumes.

s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/djohns300/Trade/
djohns30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #227
galar

Thanks for the breakdown. It makes buying single boxes a real gamble.
I wasn't sure if the dyson's were considered a hit, but I guess they are.
galar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #228
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
This is where I've started coming back to. I know that boxes aren't going to return you your money. I know they are meant to be collected. I just want to know, what warrants a $100 price tag per box on this product, or other products like it? Don't sketch card artists get paid maybe $5 per card at most? Does it really cost that much to print base cards? Are manufactured relics really that expensive to make and produce? I just would love a breakdown of what drives a box to $100 when you're not guaranteed an autograph or a sketch? How is it that Cryptozoic and Rittenhouse can deliver 2 autographs per box on average (usually on-card), plus wardrobe cards, plus sketch cards, and a decent base set? I just don't get it.
This seems to be more of a question of determining value as opposed to content. If you have "Card X" that is incredibly common compared to "Card Y" which is incredibly rare, the rare card will obviously have more value. Putting autograph cards closer to the "Card X" spectrum will only devalue the signer, the card, and the product over all. By us adding more stuff into the "Card Y" end of the spectrum, we gain the opposite effect. Yes, some of these "Card Y" cards are not always autograph. But there is more value in content than just the autograph cards.

Quote:
I look at the Valyrian Steel release. Metal base cards, two to three on card autographs per box, screen worn relics, manufactured cards, and on card dual autograph cards in a box that maxed out at $200 but averaged much less than that (man of us got two boxes for $210). I'm sure the Game of Thrones license is not as expensive but by how much?
I have no clue how much the Game of Thrones license runs. And as crazy as it sounds, I purchased a couple of boxes for my personal collection hoping to get Joe Dempsie and Hannah Murray. While I didn't get them, the signers that I did get had little to no value because they were everywhere. It took me a long time to trade them off for something for my PC.

TV shows are a completely different beast when it comes to signers compared to movies. Most movies will have a top tier actor list, maybe a total of 4-8 actors of primary and secondary relevance, where everyone else are either extras or stand ins. TV shows will usually have core cast of a few people, but will rotate new actors in and out over the course of it's run. Both Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul were in X-Files before they got their start on Breaking Bad. A movie will have 2 hours of content and then finished. Even a single season TV show will usually have 15+ hours of content and events to draw from.

Quote:
I know people do a lot of complaining on here, but that's because we are seeing companies do it right, do it better, and do it cheaper, than some of the big and established companies. I know someone once said Upper Deck has larger overhead, what does that even mean? Make a worse product because overhead? Topps probably has large overhead, yet they have no problem getting people to sign.

I understand not being able to get signers. Not everyone is going to sign or want to sign for a reasonable price. But then why the $100 price tag? Why the lack of hits? Wardrobe cards were nice but now most see them as filler. I just wish I could understand better because the fun of breaking wax is quickly leaving for most I think.
There is other content besides actor autographs. Like any hobby or culture, we are constantly moving forward and constantly evolving the hobby. When the first wardrobe relic card came out everyone was blown away because they had never seen anything like that before. Now they can become common and expected. We are looking for that next "AWWW YEAH! THIS IS AWESOME!" moment.

Putting all of our eggs into the "Autograph Basket" is a path to self destruction both as a company, and as a hobby entirely. I am constantly innovating and coming up with new ideas, technologies, creative processes, and much more. The day I ever find myself stuck in a rinse and repeat process when it comes concept/content generation, it will be my last day here.

Finally, I did break through my case of Thor Ragnarok. I posted the results below. Now that I have my hands on the finalize Dyson cards, I will admit they are a little more difficult to open than I would have liked. I LOVE the way the Grandmaster's Prized Possessions turned out. There was a lot of risk and concern with that, but the chains come out awesome!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	401059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	401060  

Last edited by UpperDeckMatt; 01-05-2018 at 07:25 PM.
UpperDeckMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #229
Zeldafanatic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns30 View Post
Just a heads up on distribution. We just opened an 8 box case and the break down was like this.

Box 1, 1 blue, 1 dyson, 1 single costume, 1 double costume
Box 2, 2 blue, 2 dyson, 2 single costume, 2 triple costume
Box 3, 2 single costume
Box 4, 2 autographs
Box 5, 1 blue, 1 dyson, 1 single costume, 1 double costume
Box 6, 2 blue, 2 dyson, 2 single costume, 1 sketch
Box 7, 1 sketch
Box 8, 2 blue, 2 dyson, 2 single costumes, 1 dyson out of 15

As you can see the distribution was all over the place. No duplicate costumes.
Geez, that's awful. I guess that falls on QC too. How'd the cards look? Any issues with damage?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Zeldafanatic15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #230
MarciaDye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaDye View Post
My Upper Deck Thor Ragnarok Artist Proofs are for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderccg View Post
MarciaDye.................. WOW!!!! AMAZING!!!!
Thank you Lady Loki was my favourite character to draw.
MarciaDye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #231
hobbystuff

All I can say is that the few people I know that tried some of this all got decent stuff (couple autos & 2-4 nice sketches in every half case of 8 boxes) along with the Dyson cards & relics.Yes the boxes in the case are not evenly distributed so trying only 1 box is a hit or miss.I had 6 hits in one of my boxes.
Better than almost every Topps Star Wars product that I opened in the past 2 years where my hits were $5 autos ;$5 medallions & $5-10 sketches that I basically had to give away.(with the exception of this years Masterwork & Rogue one S1 & S2)
I tried 2 boxes of The Last Jedi and with $270 Cnd that the boxes cost me I pulled 2 medallions ; 1 common auto and a $10 sketch.
I understand thats it's all a gamble but with the amount of Star Wars I open over the year I don't have anything good.
So personally I'd rather stick with Rittenhouse;Cryptozoic & Upper Deck for non-sports and pass on anything Star Wars from now on.
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #232
djohns30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldafanatic15 View Post
Geez, that's awful. I guess that falls on QC too. How'd the cards look? Any issues with damage?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Cards look very nice and mine were in good condition (we didn't open any of the dyson cards). I agree with Matt the Prized Possessions are really cool, look great, and something different.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #233
Brobocop

This seems to be more of a question of determining value as opposed to content. If you have "Card X" that is incredibly common compared to "Card Y" which is incredibly rare, the rare card will obviously have more value. Putting autograph cards closer to the "Card X" spectrum will only devalue the signer, the card, and the product over all. By us adding more stuff into the "Card Y" end of the spectrum, we gain the opposite effect. Yes, some of these "Card Y" cards are not always autograph. But there is more value in content than just the autograph cards.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. While I do think most people base value around the autograph list, I will agree with you that boxes usually have to have something else to push it. Once again, Valyrian Steel has nicely done manufactured relics, interesting or desired screen worn wardrobe pieces, replica sketches, real sketches, a well done base card set made out of metal, on top of a top tier autograph list that is all on-card. They really only missed one name and she hasn't signed in ages.

I have no clue how much the Game of Thrones license runs. And as crazy as it sounds, I purchased a couple of boxes for my personal collection hoping to get Joe Dempsie and Hannah Murray. While I didn't get them, the signers that I did get had little to no value because they were everywhere. It took me a long time to trade them off for something for my PC.

I'd love to know which signers you got in total. You make it sound like you bought a few boxes and got garbage. I've seen several boxes opened personally, and plenty on here and every box seemed to have one decent signer per box. Honestly, we have a few people already reporting in that the boxes of Thor they opened are missing hits or have a strange coalition of hits.

TV shows are a completely different beast when it comes to signers compared to movies. Most movies will have a top tier actor list, maybe a total of 4-8 actors of primary and secondary relevance, where everyone else are either extras or stand ins. TV shows will usually have core cast of a few people, but will rotate new actors in and out over the course of it's run. Both Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul were in X-Files before they got their start on Breaking Bad. A movie will have 2 hours of content and then finished. Even a single season TV show will usually have 15+ hours of content and events to draw from.

Nobody is saying we need the top tier names. There are plenty of actors in these movies that are mid-tier or characters that are important to the movie that aren't necessarily large names. Thor alone had countless memorable characters that aren't big names but affected the story. OR maybe even have a Marvel autograph subset that carries through products that has characters that were in other movies. You could make it a running subset so it'll give collectors something to go after for every release.

There is other content besides actor autographs. Like any hobby or culture, we are constantly moving forward and constantly evolving the hobby. When the first wardrobe relic card came out everyone was blown away because they had never seen anything like that before. Now they can become common and expected. We are looking for that next "AWWW YEAH! THIS IS AWESOME!" moment.

Putting all of our eggs into the "Autograph Basket" is a path to self destruction both as a company, and as a hobby entirely. I am constantly innovating and coming up with new ideas, technologies, creative processes, and much more. The day I ever find myself stuck in a rinse and repeat process when it comes concept/content generation, it will be my last day here.

I can agree with this to an extent. I think we are there with the wardrobe cards. Most people are starting to view them as basically a jersey card from a sports product. I think some of the manufactured cards are neat and well done sketch cards are always a nice hit.

My main point is, how does everything I get in a box/case add up to $100 a box? How is that $100 being distributed through the box. Honestly, if you told me that $40 of it or so was the license cost, I'd believe you and respect that. I could believe that to some extent. Doesn't leave a lot of meat on the bone when trying to add something worth while on top while keeping the box price low. It's just that we have seen releases where there are top tier names (Thor 2, Captain America CW) in it and then we get a case like this where there are four names, one of which I bet most people had to look up.

People just want to know what they are getting for their money. I mean, no sell sheet until yesterday or a checklist? Come on, I think everyone here can agree that that is unacceptable for a product coming in hot at $100.

Finally, I did break through my case of Thor Ragnarok. I posted the results below. Now that I have my hands on the finalize Dyson cards, I will admit they are a little more difficult to open than I would have liked. I LOVE the way the Grandmaster's Prized Possessions turned out. There was a lot of risk and concern with that, but the chains come out awesome!!

Nice break.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #234
djohns30

Just an update and another heads up. In our 2nd 8 box case the distribution was still a little wacky, still had 2 sketches but we had 3 autograghs ... all of Rachel House. Granted they were all different versions but this is the problem with only 4 signers.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #235
robomole

All of these conversations about value in boxes aren't helped when I'm getting 2 hits a box and others are getting 4 and some are getting 2 autos in a single box and etc. etc. Sent an email to Upper Deck. We'll see what happens.
robomole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #236
1992UDFootball

Broke a box and got a sketch, a relic, rip card, and a blue.

Saw someone get a Jim Starlin auto, thought that was cool as hell.
1992UDFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:15 AM   #237
joudenjouden

I think UD should get credit where it's deserved on the innovation side. Topps Star Wars is a joke nowadays. It's all products loaded with no-name autographs and manufactured rarity (parallels). I know that Disney restricts them in some aspects, but there hasn't been a single new card idea (like the chains in the cards or rip cards) in the past couple years to impress me. Just more autographs, manufactured relics, sketches, and die cut sketches (Galaxy Returns should be a nice refresher though).

While not every new idea is a home run, at least UD's trying.

I'm not speaking to anything like the number of signers or rough edges, but I just thought it was worth noting from the perspective of a SW collector who has just dabbled in Marvel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #238
eddiekyf

Hi Matt,
I'd just opened one 8 boxes mini case, got 0 actor auto and ONE OF THE BOX CONTAIN ZERO HIT!!! No Dyson Rip card/auto/sketch or costume...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDeckMatt View Post
You are only looking at the single autographs. Autos appear in other places such as the Dyson cards. There can be more than one in any given case (on average). Looking over my paperwork, you should be able to get an auto or sketch in about every other box.

Everything listed will be in hobby. The Dyson SP & SSP's will be a hobby exclusive. The base cards will be digital in ePack. All the parallels and inserts will have physical counterparts.

You should end up with 45 base cards in a box. I believe the base cards are 3/pk.
eddiekyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #239
Bryanjs14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekyf View Post
Hi Matt,
I'd just opened one 8 boxes mini case, got 0 actor auto and ONE OF THE BOX CONTAIN ZERO HIT!!! No Dyson Rip card/auto/sketch or costume...
Did you rip all the Dyson cards? Could be an actor auto in one of them
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #240
eddiekyf

Normal sized Actor auto should be 1 per case(1:120), and I got 3 comic artist autos from Dyson cards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Did you rip all the Dyson cards? Could be an actor auto in one of them

Last edited by eddiekyf; 01-06-2018 at 01:02 PM.
eddiekyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #241
Brobocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudenjouden View Post
I think UD should get credit where it's deserved on the innovation side. Topps Star Wars is a joke nowadays. It's all products loaded with no-name autographs and manufactured rarity (parallels). I know that Disney restricts them in some aspects, but there hasn't been a single new card idea (like the chains in the cards or rip cards) in the past couple years to impress me. Just more autographs, manufactured relics, sketches, and die cut sketches (Galaxy Returns should be a nice refresher though).

While not every new idea is a home run, at least UD's trying.

I'm not speaking to anything like the number of signers or rough edges, but I just thought it was worth noting from the perspective of a SW collector who has just dabbled in Marvel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nobody is questioning their innovation, I think people are more alarmed that this product is $100+ a box. People cannot figure out why that is. Plus, more and more people are coming forward about boxes and cases missing hits. Innovate all you want. If you can't deliver a decent product with some nice hits to your customers, or heck, can't even deliver the stated odds, then it deserves to be looked down upon.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #242
joudenjouden

Default Thor ragnarok upper deck

Quote:
Nobody is questioning their innovation, I think people are more alarmed that this product is $100+ a box. People cannot figure out why that is. Plus, more and more people are coming forward about boxes and cases missing hits. Innovate all you want. If you can't deliver a decent product with some nice hits to your customers, or heck, can't even deliver the stated odds, then it deserves to be looked down upon.

No, absolutely I get that. The current price is crazy. I will be interested when it drops way down. I just wanted to jump in with that separate point because I thought it was worth noting.

Last edited by joudenjouden; 01-06-2018 at 02:48 PM.
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #243
Carrbeaz

Quote:
The reason this product seems so high is because Upper Deck only has two internet retailers they allow to sell boxes. Anyone else gets shut down. Cost on this product is only in the Mid $60s from distributors but the authorized dealers are the only one's who can sell it. I would have gladly sold my boxes at $85 a box if I had been allowed but I cannot sell upper deck boxes online(plus I have no more to sell anyway), only out of my brick and mortar shop.

So don't blame upper deck here for the high prices, blame the only two authorized dealers.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #244
PoPCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
The reason this product seems so high is because Upper Deck only has two internet retailers they allow to sell boxes. Anyone else gets shut down. Cost on this product is only in the Mid $60s from distributors but the authorized dealers are the only one's who can sell it. I would have gladly sold my boxes at $85 a box if I had been allowed but I cannot sell upper deck boxes online(plus I have no more to sell anyway), only out of my brick and mortar shop.

So don't blame upper deck here for the high prices, blame the only two authorized dealers.
But doesn’t UD mandate MAPP pricing for the first 3 months of product release. UD sets the MSRP and authorized retailers risk losing their accounts if they break this. This is the way it was explained to me by my rep 3 years ago so I apologize if this has changed in any way.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #245
Lilytoby

I'm confused, who is selling them for $100+? I've only seen them going for $89.99
Old 01-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #246
Sharard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilytoby View Post
I'm confused, who is selling them for $100+? I've only seen them going for $89.99
90 plus tax equals pretty close to 100 maybe where people getting that price.

109 on eBay too from what I see.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #247
Lilytoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
90 plus tax equals pretty close to 100 maybe where people getting that price.

109 on eBay too from what I see.
Ah I always forget you guys don't include tax!
Old 01-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #248
UpperDeckMatt
Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekyf View Post
Hi Matt,
I've been hearing a lot of wild situations regarding collation issues. If you (or anyone) open product and don't have your hits, please contact customer service. Your hits should consist of Dyson Cards, Memorabilia Cards, Sketch Cards, and Actor Autographs. You should be getting at least 3 listed hits in any box in some combination.
UpperDeckMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #249
Rictor

Gotta open those Dyson cards to find the other case autos. Will be interesting to see how the Blowout Thor case break goes tonight. I believe we are opening the non-numbered Dyson cards but not the numbered Dyson cards (assuming we hit any of those).
Rictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #250
Portlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rictor View Post
Gotta open those Dyson cards to find the other case autos. Will be interesting to see how the Blowout Thor case break goes tonight. I believe we are opening the non-numbered Dyson cards but not the numbered Dyson cards (assuming we hit any of those).
I was shocked to see Thompsons auto mini sell at around $50 and House for under $10. Doesn't seem to have close to the same demand as the full card but great prices for collectors
Portlaw is offline   Reply With Quote