Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 12

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #1
packerfan1964

Default walmart

is walmart getting out of cards? my local walmart for about the last 2 months has not been adding the new releases of any kind (which there many) to their display area, all they have are a hand full of older issues at deeply reduced prices and the area is starting to look very empty. what are you guys seeing at your walmarts???
packerfan1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #2
TarjetasBéisbol

Some Walmarts in the Northern Virginia area are doing the same, I think there is a thread on BO that was started a while back about this same subject.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #3
Hollywood42

I picked up a blaster of '15 Chrome a few days ago from the WalMart near my college in Iowa
Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
packerfan1964

local shopko's and target's still are keeping up with the new issues so it must be a walmart thing
packerfan1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:25 PM   #5
brandonlec

All the Walmarts in my city have stopped having cards; South Texas here.

-Brandon
Old 09-07-2015, 12:04 AM   #6
norskarv

In the Twin City area it's not consistent. One Walmart will have a lot, the next will have some, and another will have nothing. I'm guessing individual store managers or owners determine how much sports cards to carry.
norskarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:25 AM   #7
Big35Hurt

The one closest to me is pretty low on baseball cards. Mainly it's Magic and other non-sports cards, as well as football. I'll check out the other two that are within 20 minutes tomorrow.
Please don't message me offering to buy something I posted in a pickup thread - I will post it in the buy/sell section if I am looking to move it. And unsolicited messages offering to sell something will be deleted.
Big35Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:33 AM   #8
titletowncards

Here and there it seems like, my hometown Antigo, WI looks like they restock every couple weeks, same with Merrill. Wausau has been here and there. Seems it is an outside company doing the restocking.

Cards for trade or sale:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152217137@N08/
titletowncards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:42 AM   #9
azdbacks1998

There is one Walmart here in town that has phased out sports cards.....only selling the gamer stuff.
azdbacks1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
Orange October

The Walmarts and Toys R Us near me both suck for cards. Target is much better and the card display is usually in the same spot in every store (next to the line of registers).
Old 09-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
texmcpherson

Takes forever to get new releases and Target has way more - Ankeny, IA
Old 09-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #12
shrevecity

The companies that run the cards sections in Wal-Marts are having several issues, theft is real high and they have a high employee turn-over so in some cases they are deciding not to pay Wal-Mart the monthly fees to keep the section opened. Our local ones are getting more stuff it seems.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
EB31
Banned

Northern Va here...no cards whatsoever in any of our local stores.
EB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #14
mrveggieman

Wow that sucks. I mainly shop at Target. Although there the selection isn't the greatest they always have something for me to waste my money on.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
Brad68to96

I strongly dislike WalMart in general and had not been to one in a long time. We've lived in our house for about 15 months now and I decided to stop at the store 5 minutes away. As I walked to locate the card section, I encountered a grown man shaking crap out of his pant leg. He had it all over his pants and was emptying it onto the floor. Disgusting. I never found out if they have cards, I just turned and left. Doubt I'll be stopping by WalMart anytime soon.
Brad68to96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #16
JKcards

Walmarts by me have reduced the card section to an end cap and all they have is some football Pokemon and series 2 baseball
Old 09-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #17
hairysasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad68to96 View Post
I strongly dislike WalMart in general and had not been to one in a long time. We've lived in our house for about 15 months now and I decided to stop at the store 5 minutes away. As I walked to locate the card section, I encountered a grown man shaking crap out of his pant leg. He had it all over his pants and was emptying it onto the floor. Disgusting. I never found out if they have cards, I just turned and left. Doubt I'll be stopping by WalMart anytime soon.
And you didn't document this for the People of Walmart website? Fail!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #18
Big35Hurt

Checked out 2 Walmart's this morning. The choices were very slim to say the least. It would say it was 90% gaming cards, and a small selection of baseball and football cards. I could see baseball not being stocked as the season is almost over, but football is just about to start. Also checked out a Shopko and found the selection to be much better, although their prices are about 10% higher as well. Walmart had no older years but Shopko had baseball packs and blaster boxes going back to 2007.

I ended up getting 2 Blaster boxes of 2015 A&G, and one "Gems of the Game" box (has 1 graded card plus 6 packs...figured why not), and one 2008 Topps bonus box Series 2 (was discounted to $11.99). God, I am a degenerate when it comes to baseball cards.
Please don't message me offering to buy something I posted in a pickup thread - I will post it in the buy/sell section if I am looking to move it. And unsolicited messages offering to sell something will be deleted.
Big35Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #19
tribetown
Banned

Almost all gaming in toledo
tribetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #20
SaveMeTheGum

They're probably tired of having fat men with plumber's crack sitting on the floor with their scale for hours while kids are trying to buy Pokemon packs.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #21
redsraysbball21

I am purely speculating here, but I am wanting to think a good part of it is what stocked is sold.

For example, I know two guys who are heavy buyers of retail in my area (one guy bought all the topps chrome the day it was put out).

Both Walmart and Target both restock regularly, and my target seems to get a ton of discounted blasters from others, since they are usually all bought out in a week by those guys.

So some walmart's probably aren't ordering any more because none that is sitting there is selling, and they don't mark old products down enough for anyone to want them..
redsraysbball21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #22
SoCal1985

It's not Walmart, it's their vendor. Walmart does not order or stock any trading cards it is pure vendor and vendor service in a lot of stores sucks. All the cards that they sell are pay for scan, which means Walmart only "purchases" the cards when they sell so no liability, it's the same system used for bread vendors "I.e. Sara Lee" so it's all about the vendor service.
SoCal1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #23
dherm360

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfan1964 View Post
is walmart getting out of cards? my local walmart for about the last 2 months has not been adding the new releases of any kind (which there many) to their display area, all they have are a hand full of older issues at deeply reduced prices and the area is starting to look very empty. what are you guys seeing at your walmarts???
Im close to you, nothing in Appleton area either
dherm360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #24
chfu3030

Our Opelika and Auburn AL wal-marts keep them up to date and are putting out more and more older items at discount weekly. Football is strong right now but there is a lot of baseball especially topps chrome.

Probably cause my buddy and I buy them out when we walk in there. Every.... Freakin.... Time.
chfu3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #25
Kelper7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad68to96 View Post
Beech Grove?